All kinds of stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else

What are you cooking/eating tonight??

Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:46 pm

Following on from the obvious success of the "what are you currently listening to?" thread, I thought I'd start a similar one for the foodies and sybarites among us.... After all, Fish sounds like a bit of a food fan and amateur chef himself - so we are in good company in more ways than one!! :drinks:

Princess o the Night and I will be having pan-seared venison steaks ,accompanied by onions baked in cream and parmesan, and a redcurrant, juniper and port sauce. :ok: :girl_fish:

Just in case anyone was interested!!

Re: What are you cooking/eating tonight??

Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:50 pm

sorry conan, u said it , not interested, but , to be "boring", we are having fish , not a joke, a fact,smoked haddock, we always hav fish on friday

Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:52 pm

Today I will mostly be eating: Chichen breast marinated in olive oil, garlic with pepper and some soy sauce to be served alongside roast cherry tomatoes, courgettes, peppers, broccoli and maybe boiled potatoes, but I don't know about that yet. It's quick (well apart from the chicken breast which marinates over night), tasty and healthy! What more could you want?!

Oh any healthy, quick and most importantly cheap recipes that anyone minds sharing with a student, would be much appreciated! :D

Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:58 pm

Sounds great Ed! I'n mot much of a one for "recipes" really, I just kind of go on "feel" for ingredients - but I'll have a think and stick some ideas up over the weekend! :)

As a simple alternative to your chicken marinade, just to vary things a little, you could mix the olive oil and garlic with some lemon juice and thyme.... Goes great with buttered pasta or veg of your choice...

BTW, the creamy-cheesey onions are really quick, cheap and easy. The only expensive ingrediant is a tub of double cream... I nicked it from Nigel Slater! ;) The idea that is, not the cream!! :lol:
Last edited by Conan on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:01 pm

ed, i will send u some cheap and easy recipes over the weekend, tried and tested,

Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:03 pm

Ed wrote:Today I will mostly be eating: Chichen breast marinated in olive oil, garlic with pepper and some soy sauce to be served alongside roast cherry tomatoes, courgettes, peppers, broccoli and maybe boiled potatoes, but I don't know about that yet. It's quick (well apart from the chicken breast which marinates over night), tasty and healthy! What more could you want?!

Oh any healthy, quick and most importantly cheap recipes that anyone minds sharing with a student, would be much appreciated! :D

8p noodles?

Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:06 pm

in the middle of preparing Kashmiri Lamb...

deep breath - here goes...
* Lamb- 1 kilos (wash and cut into small pieces)
* Large onions- 2 (sliced thinly)
* Tomatoes- 3 (chopped)
* Grated fresh ginger- 15 grammes
* Crushed garlic- 5 cloves
* Dry red chilies- 4
* Fresh green chilies- 3
* Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
* Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
* Garam masala- 1 tsp
* Grated (or dessicated) coconut- 4 tablespoons
* Plain yoghurt- approx 1 cup
* Saffron- 1/2 tsp
* Blanched almonds- 15
* Salt to taste
* Oil- 6 tablespoons
* Chopped fresh coriander leaves

Grind the red chilies, green chilies, cumin seeds, garam masala, ginger, garlic, grated coconut and tomatoes together into a smooth paste.
Heat the oil in a pan and fry the asafoetida for approx 20 secs then add the onions and gently fry for about 8 mins until golden.

now slowly in buts, add the spice paste and fry gently until the oil separates from the mixture.
Add the lamb pieces and salt & cook until it is almost done.
Stir occasionally.

Now add the yoghurt, saffron and blanched almonds and mix well. Cook over low heat until the meat is tender and the gravy is thick.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves

Serve hot.

now stop drooling!.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:09 pm

i give up, how long to get to yours?

Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:12 pm

mar wrote:i give up, how long to get to yours?

well that depends on how fast your legs can carry you.. but you better be quick, we're gonna eat at 7pm...!

Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:27 pm

change of subject, soz, y am i a wide boy now instead of a rookie?
Next

Full Version