All kinds of stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else

What have you been reading?

Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:39 am

To add to the "What are you listening to" and "What gigs have you been to" topics
What have you been reading ?
Have you just read a good book or a magazine or perhaps something elsewhere on the wonderful world wide webulator ? This is the place to share your thoughts.

Of course you are probably all so busy posting on this fabulous forum or listening to music or watching TV or actually doing some work that you don’t have time to read but just in case you do ….

Over Christmas I read 2 fantastic books. Both written by Stieg Larsson called:
“The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” and “The Girl who Played with Fire”.
They are thrillers with excellent characters and great stories. They are part of the “Millennium Trilogy”. Unfortunately the authour died quite recently so there will only ever be 3 books.
A 3rd book has recently been published called “The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest”. Amazon kindly delivered it yesterday so I'm about to find out more about the adventures of “Lisbeth Salander”..

Re: What have you been reading?

Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:02 pm

There is an old thread on this topic but never mind, let's do it again!
I'm currently reading "Redemption Ark" by Alastair Reynolds, I was given 6 of his books as a present and I've enjoyed them all so far (one left to read after this).

I like to read before I go to sleep every night. I prefer sci-fi and biographies but will read almost anything.

Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:36 pm

Teddynonose wrote:Over Christmas I read 2 fantastic books. Both written by Stieg Larsson called:
“The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” and “The Girl who Played with Fire”.
They are thrillers with excellent characters and great stories. They are part of the “Millennium Trilogy”. Unfortunately the authour died quite recently so there will only ever be 3 books.
A 3rd book has recently been published called “The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest”. Amazon kindly delivered it yesterday so I'm about to find out more about the adventures of “Lisbeth Salander”..

I'm reading The Girl Who Played With Fire at the moment and got the 3rd book for Christmas. Excellent book
I tend to alternate between fiction and non-fiction - always like to learn :)

Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:27 pm

Just finished reading: You're Him, Aren't You? the biography of the great Paul Darrow, got the newish Palin Diaries to go now :)

Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:24 pm

Just been flicking though this week's edition of Music Week. (My apologies the figures below are all about UK sales)

Apparently 2009 is the first year since 1967 that single sales (152.7m) have been higher than album sales (128.9m).
Mainly due to the impact downloads which made up 98% of singles sales.
Biggest selling album of 2009 - Susan Boyle (1.6m sold in just 41 days) isn't that dire?
Biggest selling album artist of 2009 - Michael Jackson - 2.8m albums sold
Biggest selling single - Lady Gaga - Poker Face. (882,000). She sold a total of almost 3m singles this year !

As far as rock music is concerned the best selling groups in terms of albums sold in the UK in 2009 were:
Kings of Leon (1.5m), Snow Patrol (0.87m), Muse (0.74m), Killers (0.71m), Beatles (0.7m), U2 (0.69m), Queen (0.66m) and Kasabian (0.66m).

And as far as this week's album chart its great to see Mumford & Sons are a slow burner as they are now in the Top 10 for the first time.
Sorry for boring you all. TNN will now put his anorak away ! :oops:

Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:25 pm

Just finished the excellent 'Things the Grandchildren Should Know' by Mark ('E') Everett of Eels. Now re-reading 'On the Road' after about twent-one years!

Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:04 pm

I read mostly biographies and books about history nowadays, but sometimes my sci-fi tooth aches and I grab something spacey in my hands. Just finished Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton, a sequel to Pandora's Star. Kind of a space opera - if you like Iain M. Banks' Culture books you should enjoy these as well.

Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:06 pm

At the moment I'm reading Reaper's Gale, book seven of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, by Steven Erikson. However I'm very gradually being caught up by my son, who has developed the same love of this story, and as a result bought him his own set for his Christmas.......at least this way if he catches up I won't have a stroppy teenager trying to read over my shoulder!!!!! :lol:

Don't know about anyone else but I often get attached to some of the characters......especially the Bridgeburners (have a funny feeling they are Erikson's version of the Parras ..... :lol: ) and their leader Whiskeyjack, not to mention Quick Ben, Fiddler and Kalam .......they are soooo much more interesting than the pathophysiology books I need to read for this term...... :?

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:48 pm

Fish's latest blog! :) :shock: :?

Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:25 pm

Reading XS all areas, Status Quo, and Goin' Quoin in which I have contributed a few pages. It is a hard back book compiled by Yvonne Hanvey, made up of tales and memories by the Quo fans of trips to gigs, events that happened at or en route to gigs, and those of us who have managed some personal and unusual meetings with the band. Goin Quoin ISBN 0-978-0-9564146 All profits to the Shona Smile Foundation available through amazon
Next

Full Version