All kinds of stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else

Re: What have you been reading?

Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:17 pm

zazabi wrote:Just read the latest ASTERIX, ( Asterix and the Picts ) was really looking forward to reading it, I guess the whole Asterix collection is part of national treasure, I'm sure every french family has some of these albums on a shelf in their home somewher, but I was disappointed, I was expecting some good humour as usual, some funny names given to the characters, play on words, but that was almost inexistant, and the only reference to Scotland was the recurant "whisky"...

I read that its not written by René Goscinny (who died many years ago) and Albert Uderzo . That probably explains why its not as funny as the original books, which is a shame.

My new book "Adventures of a Waterboy" arrived today, so I will have something to read in hospital this weekend

Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:31 pm

Yesterday I started reading a new book about Uriah Heep, specifically years 1970 - 1980 with Ken Hensley. It's written in Finnish by a Finnish guy Mika Järvinen who is a musician himself in bands Five Fifteen and Crazy World. Hopefully the book gets translated to English some time because it has been made with great effort. It has 455 pages. http://www.adlibris.com/fi/product.aspx?isbn=9510390143

Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:39 pm

Currently reading (and looking at!) Patrick Woodroffe's latest book of art, called 'Benign Icons'. - As you may know, I'm really into my illustration and Patrick Woodroffe has to be my favourite artist. Incredible imagination and technique. Great etchings and monochrome stuff, as well as his trademark for superimposing illustrated cut-outs in real natural environments.

One of those books of art that I just spend hours pouring over the detail and wondering "How did he think of that?! :? "

Think he's still probably best known for this Judas Priest cover, but he has done much better work. Google some images and you'll see! :D ;)

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:12 am

I have just finished reading 1Q 84 by Haruki Murakami. Thoroughly enjoyed it. His books I have read so far always have some fantastical element to them, and I love his writing.

Now I am reading The Map and the Territory, by Michel Houellebecq. Enjoying it too, thus far!

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:48 am

Just finished reading Stephen King's latest novel "Dr. Sleep" which was just published as a Finnish translation. It is a sequel to The Shining and it did the job well. Excellent work.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:12 pm

The Caspak Trilogy by Edgar Rice Burroughs. - Currently halfway through The People That Time Forgot.

....Excellent stuff.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:30 pm

Old now but, " The Curious Incident Of The Boy In The Night" by Mark Hadden

Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:43 am

The Snow Child. A Novel by Eowyn Ivey.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:14 am

The Living Years - Mike Rutherford

Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:34 pm

Don't often make the time for reading with working, but being off this week, I've delved into my collection. Been out in the garden reading Jules Verne's Mysterious Island. :) - A true great of imaginative Science Fiction/Fantasy Adventure.
Next

Full Version