All kinds of stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else

Gardening/Allotment Thread

Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:45 pm

With the grace of the powers above, I present the gardening thread.

The amount of us with gardening interests should make this a viable thread, and the plan is to link every question to an answer on this post. You'll see as it pans out, but basically, if you have a question about (say) potatoes, the link to that question will be in this post, and it will be updated on a weekly/fortnightly/monthly basis depending on the need.

Mo has agreed to keep this page as up to date as possible.

So, anything you want to share, anything you need to know, ask away, and hopefully everything will have a link here in this post......

Re: Gardening/Allotment Thread

Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:30 pm

^^ As and when, I'll ask to have that post edited (and this one too)

Right, anyone know about sweetcorn?

I've got plants at about three possibly more foot tall, and plenty of them, but it's just enormous leaf.

Is this time of year wrong? (My first attempt at sweetcorn, so no idea)

Nothing seems to have changed for at least two weeks apart from the stems getting more purple......

Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:32 pm

I don't know why but I'm finding the way you wrote those posts funny SE13 but then I'm probably just hysterical.
Anyway I'm going to ask a simple question, sorry if it seems daft to you:
I am a town girl with limited space. What's a good, easy vegetable to start growing-maybe in a bag?

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:49 am

Potatoes! They grow in anything.

I was listening to the phone-in on the radio yesterday, and apparently most good garden centres will sell veg grow bags, and you can grow two potato plants in each.

I'll try and dig the link out, the gardening phone-in is worth a listen every week, no end of help available.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:41 am

My partner is trying too grow potatoes from some that had been in the kitchen too long. These have been placed in a bin bag, with soil and water added.

Has anyone else tried this?

Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:04 pm

Chris D wrote:My partner is trying too grow potatoes from some that had been in the kitchen too long. These have been placed in a bin bag, with soil and water added.

Has anyone else tried this?

Interesting idea!

With potatoes, all mine have been grown from ones that have been in the kitchen too long, and I've been doing it for years. The potatoes apparently fertilise the ground, so find a different place the next year, and use the space for something else.

I've got the advantage of a huge garden despite living in a City (corner house) so loads of room for all sorts.

As for the bin bag idea, I can't see why it wouldn't work, just chuck a bit of compost in, and some tomato food once a week to ten days. I've never had a failure with potatoes, and I don't think I know of anyone that has.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:31 pm

This is interesting, re spuds, we are harvesting them now that were chucked on the compost heap last year, and ,having rotavated, they are now coming up all over the place,ye, my mum bought 3 little green sacks, and grew a good crop in them, and you can do it now for spuds for xmas, spuds will grow anywhere, chris,your sweetcorn sounds just right.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:52 pm

Good good re sweetcorn.

I've got some sprouts now showing signs of life too, and starting to look like they ought to, I reckon roughly November for them unless someone knows different.

The cauliflowers all seem to be developing the white bit in the middle and the cabbages are starting to resemble a cabbage now too, so things are looking good.

The peas have all died off though, not sure what went wrong there, got a couple of meals out of them, then they just went all limp then yellow and vanished into nothingness.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:11 pm

Fingers x for your cauli, mine never work, just grow and go brown-brocolli ok, some are bolting, runner beans, crazy, sadly, we need alot of rain,just planted dwarf french beans, see how they go, my 'fizz' looking good,that sounds bad :lol: , but apparently ok. Tomatoes will not go red :?: , giving loads away now, too much for us 2.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:52 pm

I ought to mention the leeks which have suddenly grown six or more inches in the last couple of days.

Everything needs tomato food, and I'm thinking of throwing some more compost on the surface of all the beds.

BTW, the lettuce bed is about to be replaced with potatoes, and the beetroot with another crop of sprouts. And perhaps time to large up my pepper efforts, I'll take a pic in the morning, we seem to be doing really well with them.
Next

Full Version