All kinds of stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else

Re: Gardening/Allotment Thread

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:49 pm

docbob wrote:
arcademannequin wrote:Just 'accidentally' pruned a whole branch of lovely red apples that were hanging over my fence from next door's garden. ;) - That'll teach him to grow his own fruit. ;) :)


perfectly within your right...

just off to pick off some crab apples and sour plumbs....


Is it within my right to lean over about a metre to grab the branch? :oops:

Re: Gardening/Allotment Thread

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:09 am

Had a very pleasant and very satisfying meal last night! Seared venison loins marinated in garlic, thyme and rosemary; served with broad beans, sauteed garlic potatoes and steamed Russian red kale.

The only things that didn't come out of my own garden were the venison, duck fat, olive oil, salt and pepper!! Felt very smug, and it was totally delicious!! 8-) :lol:

Re: Gardening/Allotment Thread

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:12 pm

arcademannequin wrote:
docbob wrote:
arcademannequin wrote:Just 'accidentally' pruned a whole branch of lovely red apples that were hanging over my fence from next door's garden. ;) - That'll teach him to grow his own fruit. ;) :)


perfectly within your right...

just off to pick off some crab apples and sour plumbs....


Is it within my right to lean over about a metre to grab the branch? :oops:


Actually you're within your rights to prune it if it is growing over your boundary but legally anything you prune off you have to return to the owner.

Re: Gardening/Allotment Thread

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Lifted my onions today . Really prod of them.

At the weekend I dug up 4 parsnips for our roast dinner. They were beauties - all between 8 and 10 inches.
Also picked 2 pounds of runner beans.

May invest in a few chickens, pigs and a cow next year and go self sufficient

Re: Gardening/Allotment Thread

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:17 pm

Teddynonose wrote:Lifted my onions today . Really prod of them.

At the weekend I dug up 4 parsnips for our roast dinner. They were beauties - all between 8 and 10 inches.
Also picked 2 pounds of runner beans.

May invest in a few chickens, pigs and a cow next year and go self sufficient


Get you! Tom and Barbara Goode! :lol:

I lifted my spuds last week. Caterpillars had had their way with all the foliage, but the spuds were big, numerous and perfect. Such an easy crop to grow, and so much yield from two medium sized tubs. Will definitely do them again next year. :)

Re: Gardening/Allotment Thread

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:19 pm

arcademannequin wrote:
Teddynonose wrote:Lifted my onions today . Really prod of them.

At the weekend I dug up 4 parsnips for our roast dinner. They were beauties - all between 8 and 10 inches.
Also picked 2 pounds of runner beans.

May invest in a few chickens, pigs and a cow next year and go self sufficient


Get you! Tom and Barbara Goode! :lol:

I lifted my spuds last week. Caterpillars had had their way with all the foliage, but the spuds were big, numerous and perfect. Such an easy crop to grow, and so much yield from two medium sized tubs. Will definitely do them again next year. :)


I thought I grew too many potato plants . Think I did 15 but I only have about 3 left. Really satisfying getting a few pound sof spuds from each plant.
A few spuds have little holes in them. Does anyone know what makes the holes and how to avoid them ?

Re: Gardening/Allotment Thread

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:24 pm

Teddynonose wrote:
arcademannequin wrote:
Teddynonose wrote:Lifted my onions today . Really prod of them.

At the weekend I dug up 4 parsnips for our roast dinner. They were beauties - all between 8 and 10 inches.
Also picked 2 pounds of runner beans.

May invest in a few chickens, pigs and a cow next year and go self sufficient


Get you! Tom and Barbara Goode! :lol:

I lifted my spuds last week. Caterpillars had had their way with all the foliage, but the spuds were big, numerous and perfect. Such an easy crop to grow, and so much yield from two medium sized tubs. Will definitely do them again next year. :)


I thought I grew too many potato plants . Think I did 15 but I only have about 3 left. Really satisfying getting a few pound sof spuds from each plant.
A few spuds have little holes in them. Does anyone know what makes the holes and how to avoid them ?


15?! :o - SPUD-U-LIKE?! :? :lol: - Might have done a couple more than I did, but it was just an experiment this year, as I haven't grown them before.

As for holes, didn't have any. Perhaps it's poor soil and southern pollution? .....Or little furry moles with machine guns?

Re: Gardening/Allotment Thread

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:34 pm

arcademannequin wrote:
15?! :o - SPUD-U-LIKE?! :? :lol: - Might have done a couple more than I did, but it was just an experiment this year, as I haven't grown them before.

As for holes, didn't have any. Perhaps it's poor soil and southern pollution? .....Or little furry moles with machine guns?



My first time growing potatoes as well in my new raised beds.

Re: Gardening/Allotment Thread

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:13 am

Teddynonose wrote:A few spuds have little holes in them. Does anyone know what makes the holes and how to avoid them ?


Slugs. Little bastards live IN the soil as well as on the surface. :x

Some tattie varieties are resistant to their attentions, or you can try biological control... http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/nemasl ... d2507.html

Re: Gardening/Allotment Thread

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:49 am

I thought I would dig up this old thread ! :lol:

Thought I would report on the second year of my raised beds as the season has nearly finished...

Excellent crop of strawberries so I was busy making strawberry ice cream, tarts, cakes, mousse etc....
Lots of rhubarb - resulting in an excellent rhubarb and custard ice cream
Runner beans really struggled at the start and I though they had died but they got a second life and in the end I had a good crop
Monster potatoes
Enormous courgettes - especially if I forgot to pick them
Onions were very disappointing and very small
Lettuces were attacked by slugs and snails

I fancy trying to grow asparagus? Can anyone advise ??????
Next

Full Version