All kinds of stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else

Re: Gardening/Allotment Thread

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Teddynonose wrote:I fancy trying to grow asparagus? Can anyone advise ??????

It is not difficult to grow, but it prefers really sandy soil and takes several years before you can get much of a harvest from it.

I've thought about it myself a number of times, but always been put off by the amount of space it would take to get a decent crop and the time between planting and first proper harvest.

If you a have a big garden, with a space about 10m x 2m that you aren't using for anything else - then sure, give it a go! :D

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Conan wrote:
Teddynonose wrote:I fancy trying to grow asparagus? Can anyone advise ??????

It is not difficult to grow, but it prefers really sandy soil and takes several years before you can get much of a harvest from it.

I've thought about it myself a number of times, but always been put off by the amount of space it would take to get a decent crop and the time between planting and first proper harvest.

If you a have a big garden, with a space about 10m x 2m that you aren't using for anything else - then sure, give it a go! :D

Why so much space ?

Im aware that it takes a couple of years to even get any crop, but each year I wish I had my own so I might as well start growing it .
Its quite expensive to buy it every year and I'm quite partial to fresh English asparagus :)

Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:02 pm

Teddynonose wrote:Why so much space ? :)

Because it isn't very productive. Think about how much asparagus you would want per meal, and how often you would want to eat it (and bear in mind that you can only pick it for about six weeks). If you're anything like me, that would be quite a lot of asparagus!

About a square metre of plants produces enough for a decent portion for two people. And they take a few weeks to regrow... If you only have a small plot, you'll spend most of your time waiting for it to grow!

Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Conan wrote:
Teddynonose wrote:Why so much space ? :)

Because it isn't very productive. Think about how much asparagus you would want per meal, and how often you would want to eat it (and bear in mind that you can only pick it for about six weeks). If you're anything like me, that would be quite a lot of asparagus!

About a square metre of plants produces enough for a decent portion for two people. And they take a few weeks to regrow... If you only have a small plot, you'll spend most of your time waiting for it to grow!

OK I understand.
No wonder it is so expensive
I would like to try it though

Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:09 pm

Oh yeah, it's definitely worth a try! Just manage those expectations! ;)

Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:05 pm

I have just been looking on the internet. You are right Conan, a lot of time and effort and space required... hmmmmm....

Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Teddynonose wrote:I have just been looking on the internet. You are right Conan, a lot of time and effort and space required... hmmmmm....

Why don't you just buy a few packs from Tesco, insert them into a patch of soil in your garden and then you'll have the pleasure of hand-picking them out in the fresh air? :? Jobs a good 'en? ;)

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:06 am

Teddynonose wrote:I have just been looking on the internet. You are right Conan, hmmmmm....

You doubted me?!?! :oops: :shock: :cry:

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:09 am

When my brother moved to his current wife in the 80ies, he cultivated asparagus. Four or five rows, at least each 50 meters long. As you said, a lot of work before you can harvest the asparagus. They ha a small tractor for some of the work, but for the weeding there wasn't a machine :( . Each morning and each evening he and his family went through the rows to cut the asparagus. And the harvest of asparagus isn't good for your back!! I think, as for all the other vegetable harvests too ;) . He earned a lot of money in the times of the GDR, so it was the effort worth. One or two years after the German reunification he stopped the cultivation of asparagus, because there was a lot of them in the supermarkets. In the GDR wasn't so much asparagus in the supermarkets, the GDR sold the most asparagus to West Germany supermarkets to get West German Marks for it.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:04 am

Gave the lawn its first mow yesterday, and raked all of last year's dead leaves out of it... bloody hard work!

Emptied one of my compost bins into the raised beds in the polytunnel, ready for this year's crops 8-)

Peas and Borlotti beans growing well and needing hardened off before planting into the polytunnel.

Tomato seedlings up and looking good - six varieties sown so far this year. Nu-Mex chilis doing well and just been potted on.

This afternoon I will be planting lots of other seeds including courgettes, pumpkins, lettuces and peppers.

It really feels like Spring now - so it will probably snow this week!! :shock: :lol:
Next

Full Version