All kinds of stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else

Re: TICKET RIP OFF MERCHANTS

Mon May 19, 2014 11:07 am

I agree with the idea in principle Rab - but as soon as you bring in legislation for something like this then you force the ticket reselling to go on the black market and underground.

What happens next? We all know. Prices don't just sky-rocket. They go to NASA and take up years of training before going on a one-way expedition to another galaxy!

Even the big artists hate it. The other day I was amused to see a tweet from Sarah McLachlan along the lines of
Tickets for Canadian tour on sale tomorrow morning. No pre-order for fans this time so get them quick before you get scalped.

The promoters, venues, ticket sellers all want their slice of pie. Somewhere along the line the bands are also expected to make a crust and somehow they've ended up at the bottom of the food chain.

It's a sorry state of affairs as it already costs enough for us fans to get to a gig in travel and accommodation. And then the fact that only a fraction of that ticket goes to the artist that you've forked out to see can't help but make you a bit sick in the mouth.

That's show-business. No other business like it (unless you work in the public sector).

Tue May 20, 2014 8:37 am

Couple of years ago we went to see Tina Turner, bought four tickets, each of which had a £2 postage fee, so £8, and they eventually game in an envelope with a second class stamp on. Now that part of the rip off.

Tue May 20, 2014 7:26 pm

Was that in Willy Wonka's golden envelope?

Sat May 24, 2014 1:30 am

JohnSReid wrote:I agree with the idea in principle Rab - but as soon as you bring in legislation for something like this then you force the ticket reselling to go on the black market and underground.

What happens next? We all know. Prices don't just sky-rocket. They go to NASA and take up years of training before going on a one-way expedition to another galaxy!

Even the big artists hate it. The other day I was amused to see a tweet from Sarah McLachlan along the lines of
Tickets for Canadian tour on sale tomorrow morning. No pre-order for fans this time so get them quick before you get scalped.

The promoters, venues, ticket sellers all want their slice of pie. Somewhere along the line the bands are also expected to make a crust and somehow they've ended up at the bottom of the food chain.

It's a sorry state of affairs as it already costs enough for us fans to get to a gig in travel and accommodation. And then the fact that only a fraction of that ticket goes to the artist that you've forked out to see can't help but make you a bit sick in the mouth.

That's show-business. No other business like it (unless you work in the public sector).

I live in Canada and hardly ever go to see live bands partly because I refuse to get ripped off by these muppets. Ticket sales are run by Ticketmaster and Ticketmaster alone, who of course add on their extortionate "administration fee" as well as other charges before you get your ticket.

Forget going to see the "big" artists. Tickets sell out in milli-seconds...or appear to. Strangely enough though, a lot of tickets will mysteriously appear on the internet for two/three times face value sold by companies who are probably connected to Ticketmaster.

Wed May 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Watchdog have just run a feature on BBC1 about ticket touts and what we've talked about.

There's a survey on their site asking if we believe that the secondary ticket market should be regulated.

Go and vote. :)

Thu May 29, 2014 12:03 pm

JohnSReid wrote:Watchdog have just run a feature on BBC1 about ticket touts and what we've talked about.

There's a survey on their site asking if we believe that the secondary ticket market should be regulated.

Go and vote. :)

And next week they're running a piece on how the touts beat the control systems to buy up all the Kate Bush tickets.

Still think that the only way is two per cardholder and a photo on them. Glastonbury seems to have negated most of the tout issues. Though I suspect that there will be a lot available on ebay now that Metallica are headlining. :lol:

Thu May 29, 2014 3:55 pm

Apparently the government don't want to regulate as it stops "entrepreneurs".

Much like the "entrepreneurs" currently sitting in parliament.

Full Version