All kinds of stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else

Re: Favourite Guitar Solo

Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:27 pm

After three nights of Marillion you realise that not only is Steve Rothery one of the best guitarists ever but he has so many great solos and he plays them all beautifully.
His playing is sublime. He doesnt rush anything. Every note is exquisite. No flash axe wielding histrionics. He has beautiful tone and delivery. He caresses those strings to bring out the emotion of the song. I have always loved his playing from the first day I heard him and he just continues to get better.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:34 pm

Teddynonose wrote:After three nights of Marillion you realise that not only is Steve Rothery one of the best guitarists ever but he has so many great solos and he plays them all beautifully.
His playing is sublime. He doesnt rush anything. Every note is exquisite. No flash axe wielding histrionics. He has beautiful tone and delivery. He caresses those strings to bring out the emotion of the song. I have always loved his playing from the first day I heard him and he just continues to get better.

Nail on the head Andy. That's why he's such a great guitarist. Nothing too flashy and every note counts.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:11 pm

And the majority are played on a Fender :)
IMO the most beautiful guitar sound out there, especially where solo's are concearned 8-)

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:19 pm

Andyboy67 wrote:And the majority are played on a Fender :)
IMO the most beautiful guitar sound out there, especially where solo's are concearned 8-)

Absoloutley Andy, although i would say it depends on who's playing the guitar, what type of music it is, as of course these have a very influential effect on what sounds beautiful and what doesn't as well as the listeners taste.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:30 pm

After watching the Convention dvd, i feel i definitely have to include Frank Usher on numerous tracks from the Sunday night, none more so than GRENDEL F****N Awesome Frank! :'( :'( :D :D

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Just been listening to Incubus live from the Curtain Call box set, Absolutely Fantastic guitar solo from Steve,
this version really brings out the emotion this man plays with...... beautiful stuff :D :D

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:39 am

confortably numb(the live version in the "pulse" live album) by pink floyd
easter by marillion
hotel california by the eagles
Chelsea monday by marillion
there are more but I can't remember right now :?
8-)

Mon May 05, 2014 7:43 am

brother 95 wrote:confortably numb(the live version in the "pulse" live album) by pink floyd
easter by marillion
8-)

Hotel California has a great guitar section, but strictly speaking it's not really a solo! Joe Walsh often gets the credit for it, but I think the main part of it was played by Don Felder.

It's almost impossible for me to choose a favourite Steve Rothery solo though. :? There's just so many! - Incubus comes to mind, as does Chelsea Monday, as does Sugar Mice,....as does Easter.

You could go on forever trying to decide. :?

Mon May 05, 2014 7:50 am

arcademannequin wrote:
brother 95 wrote:confortably numb(the live version in the "pulse" live album) by pink floyd
easter by marillion
8-)

Hotel California has a great guitar section, but strictly speaking it's not really a solo! Joe Walsh often gets the credit for it, but I think the main part of it was played by Don Felder.

It's almost impossible for me to choose a favourite Steve Rothery solo though. :? There's just so many! - Incubus comes to mind, as does Chelsea Monday, as does Sugar Mice,....as does Easter.

You could go on forever trying to decide. :?

Anything by Steve then . . . :-D

Mon May 05, 2014 3:27 pm

Incubus - Marillion
Motorcycle Emptiness, Sleepflower, Yes - Manic Street Preachers
Cliche - Fish
The Final Cut - Pink Floyd
Next

Full Version