All kinds of stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else

Listening to Music

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:05 am

I have just treated myself to a new pair of decent speakers. Something I have wanted for a long time...and I thought I would treat myself as my birthday is coming up ;)

So how do you guys like to listen to your music ?

I'm sure that there is a generation that thinks that music should be listened to through little earphones from an Ipod?
But when you hear music played from a good hifi through a good pair of speakers its sounds 100 times better.

When I am home I love to play music on my turntable or CD Player through an amp. It just sounds so much better.

And sometimes I listen to the radio and CDs via my digital DAD radio. Currently thats the only way I can listen to PlanetRock.

When I'm driving I connect my MP3 player to my car radio through something called an Itrip, but the quality is always dodgy so I'm going to change that soon. And my car has a tape player and no CD player :(
However I'm just about to get a DAB/CD with Ipod Connector fitted into my car :)

Re: Listening to Music

Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:17 am

I agree on the whole that music from a good hi-fi through good speakers is the best way to listen to music.

I am not completely averse to headphones, however. I used to own a pair of Sennhauser (?) headphones and the sound from them was incredible. Somehow they got lost during my last house move and I have no idea where they are now. :(

Most of the time these days the way I listen to music is influenced by whether or not my other half is in the house, certainly when it comes to the volume! :)

Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:01 pm

Hifi with big speakers is my preferred option, but anything will do! I'm not a fan of headphones as I don't like to feel disconnected from the rest of the world... ;)

Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:07 pm

I wish that I wasnt semi detached !

I previously lived in a detached house so when I was on my own the volume and a tendency of getting rather loud !

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:09 pm

At home I am still using the same cd player (Denon), speakers (Castle) and amp (Rotel) I bought 23 years ago. Quality expensive stuff at the time but definately but great value for money. Sadly I no longer have a turntable.

I have a small digital radio for listening mainly to talksport.

My mp.3 player of choice are Sony Walkmans. I have two. I much prefer the older version for ease of manual dexterity. And I have the ability to plug them directly into my car sound system.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:17 pm

Through a couple of rather nifty wall-mounted Bose speakers in my music room. It took me ages to decide where they created the best sound!

The only time that my music ever leaves my music room is when I occasionally take it into the garden on warm days. - Although I own an iPod, I never use it. To be honest I just don't have the inclination to take my music out to work and such and listen to it through earphones. Just can't concentrate on it and enjoy it as much.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:38 pm

My prefered choice is always through my 20 year old Technics cd player and Mission speakers when i'm home alone 8-) :'( :guitarist:
If the family are home I will listen through my Sennheiser headphones . and as I love to take a walk on my lunch break, will listen to my Ipod Nano or as I have a half hour commute to work I will listen to cd's through the car stereo or my Ipod which I can connect to :D
Music through whatever method of listening to is never far from my side. ;)

Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:41 pm

I don't use headphones or ipods at all. I had cassette walkman and portable cd player back in the days but for some reason I don't like those modern gadgets. Most of my music listening takes place at work, where I listen to it from little speakers connected to my laptop. I have ripped the music to the computer from my own cd's. Not very good sound but better than nothing. When I do something in my garage I listen to my old cassettes from an old Blaupunkt cassette player. :) At home I have my stereo equipment in bedroom where it is nice to listen lying on my back. Here's a snapshot from the equipment: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7251/1319 ... bb03_o.jpg

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:52 pm

New Pioneer DAB radio with CD and IPod connection now fitted in the car.
Dont know why it taken me so long to do it although DAB hasnt been available on car radios until recently.
Actually looking forward to my 2 hour + commute tomorrow :)

First CD listened to was Passion by Pendragon

First Ipod album was Night Owl by Gerry Rafferty which I cant stop playing at the moment
Next weekend I am going to a friend;s 50th birth day and his band is playing. They play a song from Night Owl called Days Gone Down (Still Got the Light in your eyes) which is such a good song.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:47 pm

Lauri wrote:I don't use headphones or ipods at all. I had cassette walkman and portable cd player back in the days but for some reason I don't like those modern gadgets. Most of my music listening takes place at work, where I listen to it from little speakers connected to my laptop. I have ripped the music to the computer from my own cd's. Not very good sound but better than nothing. When I do something in my garage I listen to my old cassettes from an old Blaupunkt cassette player. :) At home I have my stereo equipment in bedroom where it is nice to listen lying on my back. Here's a snapshot from the equipment: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7251/1319 ... bb03_o.jpg

8-) 8-) 8-)
Next

Full Version