All kinds of stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else

Halal meat in supermarkets...and political manipulation.

Wed May 07, 2014 4:09 pm

Ok. My next serious post for discussion....though the last one never took off.

As you may have noticed (and started by the Mail I think) the newspapers have picked up on the fact that our supermarkets sell mainly Halal meat though it is not labelled as so. My worry, after I saw a facebook post which to be honest was not particularly anti-islamic was/is that far rights groups in this country would use this to try to stir further racial tensions in those who generally are 'unable to think for themselves'. Here is my reply posted on facebook.

'Even though I believe we all have a right to know how and where our meat (if we eat it) comes from this is not about religious needs, though I am sure now that the facts are out certain supermarkets will increase there sales to the Muslim community. Most Muslim people probably never realised the meat was Halal and I would imagine, though I may be wrong, that the majority would use there own Halal butcher. No, the problem is once again the greed of the supermarkets in wishing to purchase cheaper meat for larger profits on top of the massive profit they already make. I notice that the supermarket who sell mainly non-halal meat are the one struggling to make a profit ie Morrisons, though also that is only from memory.'

Re: Halal meat in supermarkets...and political manipulation.

Wed May 07, 2014 4:12 pm

As this is a FISH forum there may not be much opinion regarding MEAT !!!!!

Sorry, you probably want a serious answer rather than a flippant one :oops:

Re: Halal meat in supermarkets...and political manipulation.

Thu May 08, 2014 9:42 am

Teddynonose wrote:As this is a FISH forum there may not be much opinion regarding MEAT !!!!!

Sorry, you probably want a serious answer rather than a flippant one :oops:


What about Raw Meat? ;)

Re: Halal meat in supermarkets...and political manipulation.

Thu May 08, 2014 9:46 am

Chris D wrote:Ok. My next serious post for discussion....though the last one never took off.

As you may have noticed (and started by the Mail I think) the newspapers have picked up on the fact that our supermarkets sell mainly Halal meat though it is not labelled as so. My worry, after I saw a facebook post which to be honest was not particularly anti-islamic was/is that far rights groups in this country would use this to try to stir further racial tensions in those who generally are 'unable to think for themselves'. Here is my reply posted on facebook.

'Even though I believe we all have a right to know how and where our meat (if we eat it) comes from this is not about religious needs, though I am sure now that the facts are out certain supermarkets will increase there sales to the Muslim community. Most Muslim people probably never realised the meat was Halal and I would imagine, though I may be wrong, that the majority would use there own Halal butcher. No, the problem is once again the greed of the supermarkets in wishing to purchase cheaper meat for larger profits on top of the massive profit they already make. I notice that the supermarket who sell mainly non-halal meat are the one struggling to make a profit ie Morrisons, though also that is only from memory.'


As a meat eater I`m not concerned how the animal is slaughtered as long as it is hygienic for me to consume. I think stories like the one you highlight are used by some as another weapon to attack people. Like you say the profiteering of business is the real issue.

Re: Halal meat in supermarkets...and political manipulation.

Thu May 08, 2014 10:34 am

Clutcher of Straws wrote:
Chris D wrote:Ok. My next serious post for discussion....though the last one never took off.

As you may have noticed (and started by the Mail I think) the newspapers have picked up on the fact that our supermarkets sell mainly Halal meat though it is not labelled as so. My worry, after I saw a facebook post which to be honest was not particularly anti-islamic was/is that far rights groups in this country would use this to try to stir further racial tensions in those who generally are 'unable to think for themselves'. Here is my reply posted on facebook.

'Even though I believe we all have a right to know how and where our meat (if we eat it) comes from this is not about religious needs, though I am sure now that the facts are out certain supermarkets will increase there sales to the Muslim community. Most Muslim people probably never realised the meat was Halal and I would imagine, though I may be wrong, that the majority would use there own Halal butcher. No, the problem is once again the greed of the supermarkets in wishing to purchase cheaper meat for larger profits on top of the massive profit they already make. I notice that the supermarket who sell mainly non-halal meat are the one struggling to make a profit ie Morrisons, though also that is only from memory.'


I think stories like the one you highlight are used by some as another weapon to attack people.


So do you think the right leaning wing of the media push the issue because they want to see it manipulated?

Re: Halal meat in supermarkets...and political manipulation.

Thu May 08, 2014 4:20 pm

Chris D wrote:
Clutcher of Straws wrote:
Chris D wrote:Ok. My next serious post for discussion....though the last one never took off.

As you may have noticed (and started by the Mail I think) the newspapers have picked up on the fact that our supermarkets sell mainly Halal meat though it is not labelled as so. My worry, after I saw a facebook post which to be honest was not particularly anti-islamic was/is that far rights groups in this country would use this to try to stir further racial tensions in those who generally are 'unable to think for themselves'. Here is my reply posted on facebook.

'Even though I believe we all have a right to know how and where our meat (if we eat it) comes from this is not about religious needs, though I am sure now that the facts are out certain supermarkets will increase there sales to the Muslim community. Most Muslim people probably never realised the meat was Halal and I would imagine, though I may be wrong, that the majority would use there own Halal butcher. No, the problem is once again the greed of the supermarkets in wishing to purchase cheaper meat for larger profits on top of the massive profit they already make. I notice that the supermarket who sell mainly non-halal meat are the one struggling to make a profit ie Morrisons, though also that is only from memory.'


I think stories like the one you highlight are used by some as another weapon to attack people.


So do you think the right leaning wing of the media push the issue because they want to see it manipulated?



Hadn`t thought about it to be honest, but I guess there are plenty who
use info. like this to fuel their already misguided opinions. As for the business angle , supermarkets etc. interested in profit pure and simple. A nothing story really for those who are fed guff from the likes of the paper you mentioned.

Re: Halal meat in supermarkets...and political manipulation.

Sat May 10, 2014 6:35 am

Chris D wrote:Ok. My next serious post for discussion....though the last one never took off.

As you may have noticed (and started by the Mail I think) the newspapers have picked up on the fact that our supermarkets sell mainly Halal meat though it is not labelled as so. My worry, after I saw a facebook post which to be honest was not particularly anti-islamic was/is that far rights groups in this country would use this to try to stir further racial tensions in those who generally are 'unable to think for themselves'. Here is my reply posted on facebook.

'Even though I believe we all have a right to know how and where our meat (if we eat it) comes from this is not about religious needs, though I am sure now that the facts are out certain supermarkets will increase there sales to the Muslim community. Most Muslim people probably never realised the meat was Halal and I would imagine, though I may be wrong, that the majority would use there own Halal butcher. No, the problem is once again the greed of the supermarkets in wishing to purchase cheaper meat for larger profits on top of the massive profit they already make. I notice that the supermarket who sell mainly non-halal meat are the one struggling to make a profit ie Morrisons, though also that is only from memory.'


They are all struggling to reach profit targets Chris, but that's for another thread!

Re: Halal meat in supermarkets...and political manipulation.

Mon May 12, 2014 6:42 am

Personnally, I'm happier eating meat from an animal who has suffered the least. Animals throats cut open and left bleeding till death I've seen it enough times when I lived in west Africa thank you.
I respect the Senegalese culture and never thought one sec they should stop this but rather said to myself that if I wasn't happy seeing it happenning then I should leave their country and go back to France.
I was only a guest in their country. And I just had to adapt to their culture.

I respect that it's down to each individual to eat whatever they choose to eat.

But what I find revolting is to be conned with the food we buy in our country.
If I buy meat and it is Halal I want to know it is Halal.
If I buy beef when it is in fact Horse meat I want to know it's Horse meat.

Regardless of politics.
Thanked: 1

Re: Halal meat in supermarkets...and political manipulation.

Mon May 12, 2014 7:07 am

zazabi wrote:But what I find revolting is to be conned with the food we buy in our country.
If I buy meat and it is Halal I want to know it is Halal.
If I buy beef when it is in fact Horse meat I want to know it's Horse meat.

Regardless of politics.


Spot on! We seem to have lost honesty in the quest for profit. Supermarkets all have their own version of the "Extra Special" range of products, all elevated into some sort of premium market position by (seemingly) nothing more than a few carefully chosen marketing terms.

Hand-selected cheddar for example. Well, how else can cheddar be "selected"? And does the hands-on nature of the selection process actually give the consumer a better quality product? And isn't that another way of saying that their standard methods of selection are sub-standard??

They take us for fools at their own risk, as there are other options when it comes to shopping...

Re: Halal meat in supermarkets...and political manipulation.

Sun May 18, 2014 5:15 pm

Halal meet in the supermarket.

"So which way were you killed?"

I'll get me coat...
Next

Full Version