This is where you vote for your Fish-related likes and dislikes

What is your favourite Fish-era Marillion album?

Clutching At Straws
40%
Misplaced Childhood
29%
Fugazi
17%
Script For A Jester's Tear
14%

Total votes : 120

Re: Fish-era Marillion albums

Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:09 am

Doesn't it all depend on where you were in your life at the time? I love all four Fish era Marillion albums but Fugazi holds a special place in my heart. I was "considering an escape" from my first marriage at the time so - as you can imagine - Jigsaw was particularly poignant. Hoped the 3 Fs might do that one last night at the Cluny but they didn't - although album was well represented. Probably just as well as I might have cried. ;)

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:19 pm

I found it almost impossible to choose between them as my favourite depends on my general mood.

I adore Script but The Web and Chelsea Monday are weaker than the rest. You can really wallow in Script.
I love MC except for Lavender (Kayleigh is not my favourite song either). I listen to it when I want to be cheered up as White Feather is just great at raising my mood.
I enjoy Clutching at Straws but I think it's not as good than the others, so really surprised it's top of the poll.
I chose Fugazi because it's my current album of choice, I am going through a tough time and the songs suit my mood. My family prefer Script and MC and so we didn't listen to this album as much when I was younger and so I probably feel less blase about it.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:18 pm

keebo wrote:I found it almost impossible to choose between them as my favourite depends on my general mood.

I adore Script but The Web and Chelsea Monday are weaker than the rest. You can really wallow in Script.
I love MC except for Lavender (Kayleigh is not my favourite song either). I listen to it when I want to be cheered up as White Feather is just great at raising my mood.
I enjoy Clutching at Straws but I think it's not as good than the others, so really surprised it's top of the poll.
I chose Fugazi because it's my current album of choice, I am going through a tough time and the songs suit my mood. My family prefer Script and MC and so we didn't listen to this album as much when I was younger and so I probably feel less blase about it.

Agreed Keebo. Very difficult to choose. We are lucky as fans to have four albums which feel completely different and separate from each other. - Think my choices will always be ruled by how I'm feeling on any given day.

Always thought of Fugazi as my least favourite of the four, but that's Definately changed on recent listening. ;) :D

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:11 pm

keebo wrote:I found it almost impossible to choose between them as my favourite depends on my general mood.

?..

Hello Sue, MC has a play time of 41:16. 6:17 are PSK an Kayleigh. So at the end 35 minutes of really good music (not mainstream). Lavender is for me a part of the rest of the album ;) .

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:37 pm

ulrichs wrote:

?..

Hello Sue, MC has a play time of 41:16. 6:17 are PSK an Kayleigh. So at the end 35 minutes of really good music (not mainstream). Lavender is for me a part of the rest of the album ;) .

I agree Ulli. - I don't look upon Lavender as being a commercial/mainstream single, but as an integral part of the Misplaced Childhood concept. - Appreciated it much more after reading about Fish's thinking behind the themes of that album.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:36 pm

tuppenworth chucked in!

You could never look at a single square inch of the Mona Lisa and consider that you have seen the whole. I agree with ulrichs. Lavender and Kayleigh are just tiny parts of a bigger picture.

I still listen to CAS and wish it had been one piece in the same way as MC, maybe not with the same songs but the opening piece is awesome.

It's funny how arcademannequin said that he has come to love Fugazi, I was the same with Cinderella Search, just never really gave it a chance and then when I got into it, wow it's now one of my faves and it was like finding a new song. (If that makes any sense). :?

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:55 pm

I appreciate the whole - it's not like I listen to any of the albums on shuffle or skip any track whenever I do listen. I don't think I could skip tracks, it would feel so wrong!

A lot of people got into Marillion through Kayleigh and Lavender but if I was trying to recommend Marillion I would choose Script or Forgotten Sons or Jigsaw - the emotion isn't there with the singles. If we are sticking to the artwork analogy, I would fail to be moved by the Mona Lisa (Lavender) but I find I can't ignore the vivid strokes of a Lucien Freud (Forgotten Sons).

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:57 pm

I go with the sentiment that four albums of such quality makes it difficult to choose.

Purely on the basis of personal preference, it's between Clutching At Straws and Script For A Jester's Tear. For me, Fugazi has 4 stonkingly fantastic songs in Assassing, Jigsaw, Incubus and Fugazi. MC has a great first half and the gorgeous Blind Curve. But, I like nearly all of CAS and all but one on Script; hence those having the edge as a whole.

I got Script on the same day as Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut", playing Script first - and have never regretted doing so, despite being more than a little partial to Floyd. I don't think there is a single song that can be called "weak" on Script, either musically or lyrically and have never understood or accepted the criticism of the lyrics as being "too wordy" or "6th formy". They are articulate and have a clear meaningful message which thankfully avoid the tired, gratuitously repetitious, formulaic, predictable, old-hat lyrics that pass for so-called musical "maturity" in some quarters. For me, Script was a breath of fresh air. Curiously, my least favourite song on Script is.... *gulp* Garden Party.... :shock: .

The aforementioned four tracks from Fugazi are just awesome. The "Yin" version of Incubus adds further layers to what was already a quality song (especially the rearranged "piano" section - "You can't brush me under the carpet ...etc" and the twin guitars following). Assassing and Jigsaw seem to be two sides of the same coin; one relentlessly driving (even the "quiet" section still drives) whilst Jigsaw has, arguably, one of the finest melodies in the Fish / Marillion catalogue, perfectly in keeping with the lyrics. The play between the sadness and the venom in the lyrics to Fugazi (track) is just terrific and the music sets it off perfectly. For some reason, I have a particular fondness for the end part of Fugazi... ;) :? .

MC is the album I have most difficulty connecting with but it still gets played quite happily.

I always thought that CAS, in the context of following the commercial success of MC, should have elevated Marillion beyond the threshold into "supergroup" status. As we know, it just didn't happen; so close yet so far. Lack of marketing? Problems with EMI? Questionable management? I guess we'll never know for sure. Perhaps it was epitomised by the lack of what had become the traditional gatefold sleeve (I remember being somewhat disappointed by the single sleeve). With hindsight, it has the appearance of someone somewhere having already decided to reduce promotional support for the band; many months before the subsequent departure of Fish.

CAS, at least to my ears, comfortably sits above Misplaced Childhood, both musically and lyrically, although I agree with those who suggest Incommunicado doesn't sit well in the overall framework of the album. One other thought of the album which has held to this day is that CAS fell between two stools; was it intended to be a concept album? The linking of the first three songs, the segue between Torch Song and SlĂ inte Mhath and the "Happy Ending" all suggest a "concept" that, for whatever reason, wasn't followed through to make CAS a continuous piece - as suggested by torch-light. Is this what is meant by a couple of other posters who said they thought something was "missing" from CAS? - just a thought. My favourite song on CAS is White Russian. The lyrics are poignant, spat out with controlled rage, and sadly continue to be hugely relevant and will undoubtedly be so for many many years to come. For anyone who wants a moment of cathartic release, just try doing the vocals to this song; I mean REALLY go for it. [Health and Safety warning: voice loss is a possibility :D ]

Although I've written more about CAS that Script, I ultimately can't decide between the two so my vote remains uncast. I couldn't find an emoticon for fence-sitting.... :blink: :music:

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:13 pm

.....Very well put Proph! :D - I agree, on a personal level CAS does it for me, though not sure what you mean about Incommunicado, as it sits very nicely with the themes on that album. Or were you talking musically? :?

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:14 pm

very nice theprophet, made me put White Russian on.

It is really interesting to hear others views on what is only a four album back catalogue. That always amazes me that there is so much 'quality' in such a small quantity of vinyl.

Not liking Garden Party, heavens above :lol:

Amazing really, I feel lucky that I got into Marillion.

I couldn't care less about the accusations aimed at a certain lyricist for being too wordy that surely is what made/makes their music so different. At least for me.
Next

Full Version