This is where you vote for your Fish-related likes and dislikes

What is your favourite Fish-era Marillion album?

Clutching At Straws
40%
Misplaced Childhood
29%
Fugazi
17%
Script For A Jester's Tear
14%

Total votes : 120

Re: Fish-era Marillion albums

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:29 pm

theprophet wrote:I go with the sentiment that four albums of such quality makes it difficult to choose.

Purely on the basis of personal preference, it's between Clutching At Straws and Script For A Jester's Tear. For me, Fugazi has 4 stonkingly fantastic songs in Assassing, Jigsaw, Incubus and Fugazi. MC has a great first half and the gorgeous Blind Curve. But, I like nearly all of CAS and all but one on Script; hence those having the edge as a whole.

I got Script on the same day as Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut", playing Script first - and have never regretted doing so, despite being more than a little partial to Floyd. I don't think there is a single song that can be called "weak" on Script, either musically or lyrically and have never understood or accepted the criticism of the lyrics as being "too wordy" or "6th formy". They are articulate and have a clear meaningful message which thankfully avoid the tired, gratuitously repetitious, formulaic, predictable, old-hat lyrics that pass for so-called musical "maturity" in some quarters. For me, Script was a breath of fresh air. Curiously, my least favourite song on Script is.... *gulp* Garden Party.... :shock: .

The aforementioned four tracks from Fugazi are just awesome. The "Yin" version of Incubus adds further layers to what was already a quality song (especially the rearranged "piano" section - "You can't brush me under the carpet ...etc" and the twin guitars following). Assassing and Jigsaw seem to be two sides of the same coin; one relentlessly driving (even the "quiet" section still drives) whilst Jigsaw has, arguably, one of the finest melodies in the Fish / Marillion catalogue, perfectly in keeping with the lyrics. The play between the sadness and the venom in the lyrics to Fugazi (track) is just terrific and the music sets it off perfectly. For some reason, I have a particular fondness for the end part of Fugazi... ;) :? .

MC is the album I have most difficulty connecting with but it still gets played quite happily.

I always thought that CAS, in the context of following the commercial success of MC, should have elevated Marillion beyond the threshold into "supergroup" status. As we know, it just didn't happen; so close yet so far. Lack of marketing? Problems with EMI? Questionable management? I guess we'll never know for sure. Perhaps it was epitomised by the lack of what had become the traditional gatefold sleeve (I remember being somewhat disappointed by the single sleeve). With hindsight, it has the appearance of someone somewhere having already decided to reduce promotional support for the band; many months before the subsequent departure of Fish.

CAS, at least to my ears, comfortably sits above Misplaced Childhood, both musically and lyrically, although I agree with those who suggest Incommunicado doesn't sit well in the overall framework of the album. One other thought of the album which has held to this day is that CAS fell between two stools; was it intended to be a concept album? The linking of the first three songs, the segue between Torch Song and SlĂ inte Mhath and the "Happy Ending" all suggest a "concept" that, for whatever reason, wasn't followed through to make CAS a continuous piece - as suggested by torch-light. Is this what is meant by a couple of other posters who said they thought something was "missing" from CAS? - just a thought. My favourite song on CAS is White Russian. The lyrics are poignant, spat out with controlled rage, and sadly continue to be hugely relevant and will undoubtedly be so for many many years to come. For anyone who wants a moment of cathartic release, just try doing the vocals to this song; I mean REALLY go for it. [Health and Safety warning: voice loss is a possibility :D ]

Although I've written more about CAS that Script, I ultimately can't decide between the two so my vote remains uncast. I couldn't find an emoticon for fence-sitting.... :blink: :music:

Definitely agree with you proph, when you say you think there is something missing from CAS, as most of it could be catergorised as a concept album, May be its down to deadlines and pressure from EMI we probably wili never know?

Script to me is Awesome!!!!

Fugazi!!! and MC are just a shade above Script but on the same level albeit different types of albums, May be this is reflected in the fact that most of the Ex-marillion songs fish does are from these two albums? I for one can't seperate them because of the difference in the 2 albums(ie. Fav concept album MC. Fav 2 tracks- Fugazi , Incubus. :)

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:50 pm

arcademannequin wrote:.....Very well put Proph! :D - I agree, on a personal level CAS does it for me, though not sure what you mean about Incommunicado, as it sits very nicely with the themes on that album. Or were you talking musically? :?

Having given at least a little thought to this, I think it's the music rather than the lyric. For me, Incommunicado is a bit like Not Now John on The Final Cut (Floyd), One Slip on Momentary Lapse (Floyd) or the title track The Pros and Cons... (Waters) or, dare I say it, Hooks In You on Season's End. Somehow, the flow of CAS just feels diverted but I freely accept it's personal preference. As a mini experiment, try listening to CAS without Incommunicado and see what you think.

torch_light wrote:Not liking Garden Party, heavens above :lol:

I am currently googling for a reputable online therapist (is that a contradiction in terms?) :eek: :looney:

torch_light wrote:I couldn't care less about the accusations aimed at a certain lyricist for being too wordy that surely is what made/makes their music so different. At least for me.

It's an accusation that was made against 70's Genesis (i.e. pre Duke) and, although not so obviously, also at Roger Waters and, to a lesser extent and more indirectly, David Gilmour and Polly Samson in the context of Floyd. All I can say is that I wish I could write lyrics as poor as those on Floyd's classic albums, Marillion's earlier albums and the 70's Genesis albums. Yep, I can imagine just how terrible I would feel... :D . My one stab at lyric writing easily avoided gratuitous repetition but, I freely acknowledge, it was a mixed bag otherwise.

mwelljester wrote:I for one can't seperate them because of the difference in the 2 albums(ie. Fav concept album MC. Fav 2 tracks- Fugazi , Incubus. :)

That has driven home a realisation: despite preferring Script and CAS above the other two albums overall, I'd probably rate either Fugazi or Incubus as standalone tracks above the two preferred albums. Weird, but perhaps it just reflects how narrow the difference in preference really is between 1st and 4th of those early albums :? .

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:17 pm

theprophet wrote:That has driven home a realisation: despite preferring Script and CAS above the other two albums overall, I'd probably rate either Fugazi or Incubus as standalone tracks above the two preferred albums. Weird, but perhaps it just reflects how narrow the difference in preference really is between 1st and 4th of those early albums :? .

I think that it's a fair assumption that most people here are 'album' listeners, rather than 'song' listeners.

So picking your favourite album out is a bizarre thing when you know that personally, you feel that stronger tracks are not on the album of choice.

What does it come down to? Feeling? mood? Epic-ness? Your mileage may differ but either way it's one hell of a ride!

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:13 am

keebo wrote:A lot of people got into Marillion through Kayleigh and Lavender

Interestingly, that was the point at which I left them! Script was awesome and although Fugazi was a change in direction (mianly to do with the change in drummer I suspect) I was still very into it. Bear in mind that I was 17 at the time! :shock:

When I heard Marillion being played on daytime radio 1 I thought that was enough. Teenagers are very fickle! :lol:

It was probably 20 years until I came back to them and now I much prefer MC to Fugazi. I think there is just something about the "sound" or production on Fugazi that I don't get on with. It's not just the tracks themselves, because I really like them when they are played live. The overall sound is just a bit weedy and trebly to my ears. Even the remasters.

But the opening ten minutes of CAS..... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) Auditory heaven!

And I do agree about Incommunicado. Great track, but slightly out of context from a music point of view - even though the lyrics fit perfectly into the concept.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:23 pm

Conan wrote:
keebo wrote:A lot of people got into Marillion through Kayleigh and Lavender

Interestingly, that was the point at which I left them! Script was awesome and although Fugazi was a change in direction (mianly to do with the change in drummer I suspect) I was still very into it. Bear in mind that I was 17 at the time! :shock:

When I heard Marillion being played on daytime radio 1 I thought that was enough. Teenagers are very fickle! :lol:

It was probably 20 years until I came back to them and now I much prefer MC to Fugazi. I think there is just something about the "sound" or production on Fugazi that I don't get on with. It's not just the tracks themselves, because I really like them when they are played live. The overall sound is just a bit weedy and trebly to my ears. Even the remasters.

But the opening ten minutes of CAS..... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) Auditory heaven!

And I do agree about Incommunicado. Great track, but slightly out of context from a music point of view - even though the lyrics fit perfectly into the concept.

Fugazi improved no-end after the remaster. I found the original very tinny. No probs to my ears with the remaster.

Musically, always preferred MC over Fugazi, due to the uplifting quality the album has. - As others have said though, love them all and there's very little in it.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:34 pm

I quite liked the b-side 'Going Under'. :)

I don't know enough about music to compare the albums in the way that some of you guys can (bass, recording values etc) but I know what I like and I like what I hear.

Some of my favourite parts couldn't even be called 'songs' or tracks in the conventional sense, Fidra Lighthouse, man from the magazine, pool player rests on another cue, bible black in lyon........sorry to quote on, they are just amazing 'pieces'. I couldn't even give you the names of them but I know them all.

I guess there is a similarity with Pink F in the respect that LOTS of parts make a bloody great whole.

Except with Marillion I have a four piece jigsaw that almost all fits together perfectly.

That is how I see it. Sometimes I do wish we had more pieces of that picture, but I know it would never be the same.

Thanks goodness 'it' didn't end at CAS. :D

Thank goodness 'Vigil' came along. (But that is for another forum!) :lol: :lol:

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:43 pm

....Kind of know what you mean I think. Love all those parts of songs that create images, such as Fidra lighthouse. You kind of get a sense of place and atmosphere by the words that Fish uses. In my eyes, no other lyricist quite has that ability like he does. - Warm Wet Circles, which is quite possibly my all-time favourite Marillion track, is just one long series of brilliantly atmospheric images to lose yourself in. :)

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:54 pm

Warm Wet Circles is exactly it. A piece made of lots of smaller pieces that 'could' all work on their own. Except those pieces are all so diverse and different as to really have no right to work together. Amazing. I love Warm Wet Circles too. :D

But part of 'getting' the whole Fish-thing is buying into the wordplay and imagery. I guess those who get it have exceptionally high IQ's. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I couldn't really pick one album out to say that is better than the others. They all have extraordinary high water marks but even the lesser tracks are good too. :D

Oh hell it's turning into a love-in, get the men in white coats. :oops:

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:08 pm

I didn't mean to kill this thread dead, sorry.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:45 pm

It's not dead,

Just resting.
Next

Full Version