This is where you vote for your Fish-related likes and dislikes

The Fish Xmas Poll 2008: The Results Are In!

Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:49 pm

Alright then, folks! By (apparently) popular demand, here is the inaugural Fish Xmas Poll!

Please read all the criteria carefully before entering your vote. In fact, here's an idea... SAVE THIS POST! PRINT IT OFF! Or maybe consider copying the song list into a spreadsheet - then it can do the maths for you as you edit. I'll send out occasional reminders along the way, but it'll save me (and you) a lot of time and effort if you read the instructions carefully and make sure the first vote you submit is correct.

The songs that are eligible for this poll meet the following criteria: this is a *track/songwriting* poll, which means that we're not concerned about different versions of the song, like two different renditions of, say, Fortunes Of War (full band/acoustic) or the studio vs. live versions vs demos vs remixes of the same song (as with Something In The Air or Brother 52. I've decided to include any *studio recordings* of covers: since Fish has released an album entirely dedicated to cover versions, it seemed churlish to discount them all. It'll also give us a chance to see how Fish's treatments of those iconic songs stack up against his own output.

The song section is interesting to score, designed in a way for those of you who have a hard time making decisions between best and worst.

The album list is comprised of the 9 non-compilation studio releases (see PART II).

GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS

1. VOTING FOR THIS POLL IS OPEN NOW AND CLOSES ON WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 31st, 2008, AT 11:59PM GREENWICH MEAN TIME - or midnight on New Year's Eve, depending on how you look at it. Results will be posted here and to the FishFans mailing list in the New Year (er, imbibed festivities permitting! ;)).

2. All ballots MUST be E-mailed to xmaspoll@btinternet.com, and MUST have the words "Fish Xmas Poll 2008" in the subject header. It is extremely important that you put that subject header, since my mail program is configured to process ballots with that header (and address). DO NOT SEND ANY BALLOTS TO THE LIST OR FORUM! That way nobody will be unduly influenced by other ballots and the result hangs in the balance right up to the final announcement).

3. If you have any questions about how any of this works, contact me on my regular e-mail address and I will attempt to answer them.

4. Incorrectly completed ballots will be returned. You can fix them and re-submit them. You will, however, probably be named and shamed - it seems only fair that I have some fun at your expense if you make me process your vote more than once! ;)

OK, and so to the poll...

PART I - Fish Solo Songs

a) You have 100 points, which you will divide between your favourite songs. The advantage to this is that if you feel certain songs are equally as good, you can award them the same number of points.

b) No single song can receive more than 15 points. No single song can receive less than 1 point. Fractional point increments will be discarded. Let's stick to integers only, right? None of that fraction garbage or silly decimal points!

c) You need to complete a vote for 20 songs. No more, no less. Given the sheer volume of material, I doubt this will be a problem for anyone. If it is, you really need to listen to the albums again. No, really.

d) Any tracks that are tied on the total number of points they receive will be decided by which of the two tied songs had more total mentions.

e) The songs you vote for MUST be from the list below. If it's not in the list, it doesn't count. Remember, we are concerned with STUDIO RECORDINGS ONLY. All the tracks from the studio albums are eligible, as well as various B-sides and studio recordings that have only appeared on compilations...

ELIGIBLE SONGS:

Vigil
Big Wedge
State Of Mind
The Company
A Gentleman's Excuse Me
The Voyeur
Family Business
View From The Hill
Cliché
Jack And Jill
Whiplash

Shadowplay
Credo
Just Good Friends (Close)
Favourite Stranger
Lucky
Dear Friend
Tongues
Internal Exile
Something In The Air
Carnival Man
Poet's Moon

Question
Boston Tea Party
Fearless
Apeman
Hold Your Head Up
Solo
I Know What I Like
Jeepster
Five Years
The Seeker
Time And A Word

Mr. 1470
Lady Let It Lie
The Emperor's Song
Fortunes Of War
Somebody Special
No Dummy
Pipeline
Jumpsuit City
Bandwagon
Raw Meat
Black Canal
Out Of My Life
Institution Waltz

The Perception Of Johnny Punter
Goldfish And Clowns
Change of Heart
What Colour Is God?
Tara
Jungle Ride
Worm In The Bottle
Brother 52
Sunset On Empire
Say It With Flowers
Do Not Walk Outside This Area
Chasing Miss Pretty
Mr. Buttons

Tumbledown
Mission Statement
Incomplete
Faith Healer
Tilted Cross
Rites Of Passage
Plague Of Ghosts

3D
So Fellini
Tiki 4
Our Smile
Long Cold Day
Dancing In Fog
Obligatory Ballad
The Pilgrim's Address
Clock Moves Sideways

The Field
Moving Targets
The Rookie
Zoo Class
The Lost Plot
Old Crow
Numbers
Exit Wound
Innocent Party
Shot The Craw
Scattering Crows (Still Time)

Circle Line
Square Go
Miles De Besos
Zoe 25
Arc Of The Curve
Manchmal
Openwater
Dark Star
Where In The World
13th Star

PLEASE NOTE: That I am taking votes for Plague Of Ghosts as a whole ONLY, not for separate parts of it. I don't want to see votes for Wake-up Call or Chocolate Frogs: you vote for the track as a whole or not at all, and those who forget will have their poll entries returned for resubmission.

PART II - Fish Solo Albums

In this section, simply rate each album on a scale of 1 to 5 - That is, 5 being the best available rating, 1 being the lowest, 5 being the highest. Under this system, you could conceivably rate all albums with a 5 (or all albums with a 1, but then what on earth would you being doing here anyway?!)

The only eligible albums in this section are:

Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors
Internal Exile
Songs From The Mirror
Suits
Sunsets On Empire
Raingods With Zippos
Fellini Days
Field Of Crows
13th Star

[Note: Simply score and enter the ones you have/heard, should you not have them all - as the result will simply be presented as an average overall rating out of 5 for each album].

PART III - Marillion 1982-1988 Songs

I debated whether or not to pitch the contents of the first four Marillion albums in with Fish's solo output, but decided it was fairer to give the material it's own section in the poll - so here you go.

This section works in exactly the same way as the Fish solo tracks: you have 75 points this time, which you have to split up between a mere TEN tracks. Again, none of the songs you vote for can be awarded more than 15 points, or less than 1. All songs MUST be chosen from the list below: no votes for The Tower or Shadow On The Barley, OK?

ELIGIBLE TRACKS:

Script For A Jester's Tear
He Knows You Know
The Web
Garden Party
Chelsea Monday
Forgotten Sons
Market Square Heroes
Three Boats Down From The Candy
Grendel
Charting The Single
Margaret

Assassing
Punch And Judy
Jigsaw
Emerald Lies
She Chameleon
Incubus
Fugazi
Cinderella Search

Pseudo Silk Kimono
Kayleigh
Lavender
Bitter Suite
Heart Of Lothian
Waterhole (Expresso Bongo)
Lords Of The Backstage
Blind Curve
Childhood's End?
White Feather
Lady Nina
Freaks

Hotel Hobbies
Warm Wet Circles
That Time Of The Night
Going Under
Just For The Record
White Russian
Incommunicado
Torch Song
Slainte Mhath
Sugar Mice
The Last Straw
Tux On

PLEASE NOTE: As with Plague Of Ghosts, multi-part songs (like Blind Curve and Bitter Suite) are counted as one track, not as separate parts. Also, I know that Margaret is a live recording, but it enjoys a privileged position, in that it's the only time that an at least partially original track has appeared on a Fish-era official release but has never been recorded in the studio - so, this year at least, it gets a free pass. So there! ;)

PART IV - 1982-1988 Marillion Albums

As with the Fish albums, simply rate each album on a scale of 1 to 5 - That is, 5 being the best available rating, 1 being the lowest, 5 being the highest.

The only eligible albums in this section are:

Script For A Jester's Tear
Fugazi
Misplaced Childhood
Clutching At Straws

[i.e. No voting for B'Sides Themselves! Simply score and enter the ones you have/heard, should you not have them all - as the result will simply be presented as an average overall rating out of 5 for each album. Although, if you don't have them all, you need to go out and buy yourself copies pretty damn quick, really!]

Phew - and there you have it. One poll, four sections... and a great deal of head-scratching (if you're anything like me, anyway). Get yer thinking caps on!

For those who are still wondering how this all works, I'll post a sample ballot here shortly!

Over to you! :D

Re: The Fish Xmas Poll 2008

Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:55 pm

For all those who were confused or unclear about the instructions in the previous post, I'm posting a sample ballot below that should help to make clearer what I'm looking for.

A few reminders here:

MAIL ALL BALLOTS TO: xmaspoll@btinternet.com

DO NOT MAIL YOUR BALLOTS TO THE FORUM/NEWSGROUP/LISTS! It spoils the fun, and it'll also mean you don't get to laugh and point at the numpty who goes ahead and does it anyway! ;)

Please try and copy the format of this sample ballot as closely as possible. Read the original criteria carefully and double check your maths before submitting. Thanks!

If you have any questions about this poll and how to vote, don't hesitate to contact me! 8-)

And...VOTE!...The Marillion incarnation of this poll has generated circa 150 ballots in previous years - and that was prior to the introduction of the Marillion forum. These polls are only ever much fun when people participate - so I'm looking forward to being buried under a pile of virtual ballots over the next few days! I've had a fair few already, but we're still some way off the amount I get from the Marillion poll. C'mon, you wouldn't want the Marillion fans to out-vote you, would you? :o

----- SAMPLE BALLOT BEGINS -----

SAMPLE BALLOT

PART I - FISH SOLO SONGS

01. Big Wedge - 6 points
02. THe Company - 14 points
03. Whiplash - 4 points
04. Favourite Stranger - 4 points
05. Credo - 4 points
06. Carnival Man - 5 points
07. Jeepster - 5 points
08. Institution Waltz - 6 points
09. Emperor's Song - 2 points
10. Pipeline - 5 points
11. Change Of Heart - 4 points
12. Say It With Flowers - 7 points
13. Mission Statement - 6 points
14. Faith Healer - 3 points
15. 3D - 7 points
16. Obligatory Ballad - 5 points
17. Numbers - 2 points
18. Manchmal - 2 points
19. Square Go - 5 points
20. 13th Star - 4 points

[20 tracks voted for (no more, no less!) None with more than 15 points, none with less than 1 point. TOTAL POINTS AWARDED: 100]

PART II - FISH SOLO ALBUMS

Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors: 4
Internal Exile: 5
Songs From The Mirror: 3
Suits: 4
Sunsets On Empire: 2
Raingods With Zippos: 3
Fellini Days: 4
Field Of Crows: 1
13th Star: 3

[Note: All albums voted for out of 5... no half points!]

PART III - 1982-1988 MARILLION SONGS

01. Charting The Single - 4 points
02. Assassing - 8 points
03. She Chameleon - 8 points
04. Pseudo Silk Kimono - 8 points
05. Blind Curve - 15 points
06. Freaks - 10 points
07. Warm Wet Circles - 9 points
08. Just For The Record - 5 points
09. Torch Song - 7 points
10. Grendel - 1 point

[10 tracks voted for (no more, no less!) No track awarded more than 15 points, or less than 1 point. TOTAL POINTS AWARDED: 75]

PART IV - 1982-1988 MARILLION ALBUMS

Script For A Jesters Tear: 3
Fugazi: 4
Misplaced Childhood: 5
Clutching At Straws: 3

[Note: All albums voted for out of 5... no half points!]

---- END OF SAMPLE BALLOT ----

Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:30 pm

Phew ...... I need a rest now :?
I'll put my thinking cap on, get my abacus out and have a go :idea:

Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:56 am

Dear me! There must be an easier, less labour-intensive method than this?? Great concept, but WAY to time-consuming... :(

Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:57 am

That said, if I find myself with a couple of hours free (yeah right!), I'll have a go. If I can understand the instructions.... :oops:

Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:57 am

It was fun, it was hard to choose, it was just like come back to my sweet memories... ;)

Great work HippyDave!!

Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:19 pm

duke wrote:It was fun, it was hard to choose, it was just like come back to my sweet memories... ;)

Great work HippyDave!!

Nice one, George - thanks for your vote, fella! 8-)

Conan: seriously, it's not as complex as all that - go over the sample ballot I posted, and you'll soon get the idea. I'll grant you whittling the songs down to your 20 favourites is a tall order, but it wouldn't be fun if it didn't cause some angst! ;)

Keep 'em coming, folks!

Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:11 pm

conan wrote:Dear me! There must be an easier, less labour-intensive method than this?? Great concept, but WAY to time-consuming... :(

The last Marillion one resulted in me putting together a spreadsheet which calculated the points as I went along.

I dropped in my scores and then started dividing / eliminating them until the results box went green.

I had to do it - who else would have voted for Mirages?

Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:50 pm

Great work dave- hope you get a decent response!

Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:06 am

A promised- duly voted within the allotted time..

Found my self back in hospital overnight, so had a bit of time to kill!
Next

Full Version