This is where you vote for your Fish-related likes and dislikes

Re: The Fish Xmas Poll 2008: The Results Are In!

Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:10 pm

HippyDave wrote:Which brings us to the Top 3... so in a vain and probably futile attempt to generate some tension, I'll leave it there until tomorrow! ;)

You git! :D

Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:30 pm

MaxPower wrote:
HippyDave wrote:Which brings us to the Top 3... so in a vain and probably futile attempt to generate some tension, I'll leave it there until tomorrow! ;)

You git! :D

patience.. you'll git it soon enough.. :lol:

Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:44 am

Looking forward tothe top 3....some results are a little suprising so far !

Gary :)

Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:30 pm

Alright then - let's bring this to a close! :D

The top 3 Fish solo albums are... <opens envelope>

3rd - Raingods With Zippos (79 points, Average score: 3.95 points)

I'm sure the immense popularity of Plague Of Ghosts had a lot to do with this, but then again several of the other tracks acquitted themselves very well indeed in the song poll as well, so I think it would be a mistake to say that was the only reason that Raingods remains so popular. A fitting verdict on one of Fish's most diverse and inventive albums... 8-)

2nd - 13th Star (92 points, Average score: 4.6 points)

Although this category was quite well contested - with all but the bottom three albums having the lead at some point - two albums consistently scored very highly and soon pushed their way to the front, where they remained for the rest of the voting. The 'new boy' just narrowly misses out on the top spot here, but there's something ouroborous-like about the fact that Fish's debut solo release and his most recent offering are the two albums at the top of the poll - as you can see, there was very little in it:

1st - Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors (96 points, Average score: 4.57 points)

...so much so that 13th Star actually had a slightly higher average score!

Still, what can you say? 19 years ago, Fish unleashed his first solo album, a tour de force offering from a writer who no longer had to bow to the democracy of a band set-up and could deliver his own vision without compromise. Clearly, his audience were delighted at the results - and they still are, all this time later. A perfect balance of balladry, epic progressive songcraft and tighter, more concise - dare I say commercial? - material, Vigil was a huge fan favourite from the start, and has been knocking 'em down in the aisles ever since.

Here's to the view from the hill... 8-)

And there it is - the end of the poll results. Thanks once again to everyone who took part and made it possible - without votes this would all be a bit dull! I hope you enjoyed reading all this back, and who knows, perhaps it got you digging out the back catalogue again for a refresher course - that's what it's all about, in the end - the music!

Cheers all - I'll be back with a new Fish Xmas Poll in November 2011... ;)

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:30 pm

Wow it was close at the top....! I recond in reality you can call it a draw...

Well Done Dave.... thanks for dragging it out as long as you could, the suspenders were clearly killing MaxPower. :lol:

Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:35 pm

Great work Dave !, I love both of the top 2 but am pleased that the still brilliant 'Vigil' just shaded it !

Gary :)

Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:32 pm

Agreed, well done Dave - that must have been many hours of hard work.
I wonder if future set lists will be influenced by it?
:clapping:

Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:23 pm

Rainbow wrote:Agreed, well done Dave - that must have been many hours of hard work.
I wonder if future set lists will be influenced by it?
:clapping:

Am I mistaken in thinking that the 20th anniversary of Vigil's release is just down the road a bit? It would be tremendous to see that collection of songs revisited, reworked and replayed.

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:38 am

Unless Fish can get John Giblin back on board, the bass player will have his work cut out replicating his tone and style. there is some brilliant fretless bass on that album!! :'(

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:56 am

conan wrote:Unless Fish can get John Giblin back on board, the bass player will have his work cut out replicating his tone and style. there is some brilliant fretless bass on that album!! :'(

the current bass player , Gavin Dickie, is a more than accomplished frettless bass palyer and will definitley do it justice if the chance arises....
Next

Full Version