Gigs & conventions, meets & greets, set lists, show photos & reviews

Newcastle Cluny gig...

Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:58 am

Well, having just got home I thought it would be only fitting and proper to record one or two words about this evening's (or should I say "last night's") gig.

Brilliant. Just fecking brilliant! 8-) :D

Fish himself was on absolutely top form. He was clearly relaxed and enjoying himself. They dispensed with a set-list and almost played a requests show! Many of the tracks played have been regular fixtures on this tour - such as Lucky, State of Mind, Zoe 25, Miles de Besos, Vigil, Jumpsuit City, Somebody Special and a few others (sorry, I was far too busy enjoying myself to take detailed notes!); but there were a few less usual ones dusted off and aired this evening too.

Gentleman's Excuse Me was just jaw-droppingly beautiful. Now I must be honest here and state that this particular track is not one of my favourites.... but tonight it was out of this world. The story Fish told by way of introduction was heart-rending and the song was performed - not simply sung. There was hardly a dry eye in the place! :cry:

Even stronger, in a way at least, was Slainte Mhath. Just gob-smacking. Powerful yet haunting. Hateful yet loving. Sneering but caring.... Wow! Again, Fish's ability to make a story relate to a particular audience just hit the nail on the head. Great stuff. 8-)

We even got a tantalising snippet of Grendel!!! :mrgreen:

The audience (from what I could hear) was immaculately behaved and massively appreciative. Some people were a bit noisy during the support act (I didn't catch her name I'm afraid - but she was rather talented and could spin quite a yarn herself!) but that stopped when the big man came on stage. Even the token "heckler" was good value and very well-mannered - even apologising after every comment or interruption!! :lol:

Having seen the first gig on this tour (North Hykeham), the difference in the performance was immeasurable. OK, there were differences. The venue was standing only, and there was a bar in the room. That has clearly led to problems in some venues - but not this one. Where the Terry O'Toole gig was intimate, restrained and pleasant; the Cluny gig was hot, loud, sweaty and raucous (or maybe that was just me!? :shock: ). The intimacy was still there, in huge great steaming dollops in fact.... but it was a different kind of intimacy - lecherous perhaps, rather than the slightly stand-offish, reserved warmth of Lincoln. My words may not be doing the two differing experiences justice here, but it's late and the beer tasted pretty good! ;)

Frank was awesome, as Frank usually is. But where Foss was halting and sometimes ponderous at Lincoln, tonight he was majestic! 8-) Miles de Besos was stunning, but his piece de resistance was undoubtedly Gentleman's Excuse Me. Words fail me.... which is not a common occurrence!! :oops:

Fish said that he would love to come back to the Cluny before Christmas. OK, that could have been emotion and wine talking... but he certainly seemed to be having a ball tonight. Book your tickets if it happens Ladies and Gentlemen. If it is half as good as tonight's gig then it may just about be the best Fish gig you have ever seen!! :D

By the way, on a personal note, I was sorry that I didn't manage to cross paths with Gary, or Ulli, or one or two others that I had hoped to see - but it was nice to meet the lovely SheChameleon in the flesh! Enjoy the rest of the weekend Melissa and hope to see you at Haddington! :D

Re: Newcastle Cluny gig...

Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:06 am

Brilliant review Conan. . . . . Thank you :-D

Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:09 am

squeak wrote:Brilliant review Conan. . . . . Thank you :-D

Cheers mate! It's easy to comment on a great experience! 8-) :)

Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:44 am

Brilliant review, Conan. You cannot help but wish you had been there after reading it. 8-)

Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:51 am

Geoff, great review, so pleased to hear that you enjoyed it, the difference between hykeham and the gig at Great Harrwood and your gig last night sounds identical ! .....I couldn't make it to the show as my Mum is not too good at the moment but will see you hopefully at Haddington !

;)

Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:57 am

Wonderful stuff Conan! - I now feel even more pig-sick that i missed it! - Glad to hear that you all had such a great time, including Fish! :D

Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:17 am

Thanks Geoff - great review.

So glad I didn't get there :o he says with just a touch of sarcasm. :cry:

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:23 am

I was excited about tonights Carlisle gig enough already, but now thanks to you Conan, the time will go even slower ! :D
Great review, perfectly painting a picture of the sense and occasion of the Fish Gig Experience.
There is sometimes a danger of being over excited and having too much anticipation before a gig. Well, that might be the case with some other acts, but, in my experience with the big mans shows I always come away lifted, satisfied and begging for more. The consummate professional with a personal touch. who never fails to deliver.

Cheers

Gary

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm WINNING on the swings, I'm WINNING on the roundabouts.....................

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:33 am

gazza64 wrote:.... in my experience with the big man's shows, I always come away lifted, satisfied and begging for more. The consummate professional with a personal touch. who never fails to deliver.

Spot on , Gary :)

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:03 am

Rich1 wrote:
gazza64 wrote:.... in my experience with the big man's shows, I always come away lifted, satisfied and begging for more. The consummate professional with a personal touch. who never fails to deliver.

Spot on , Gary :)

Absolutely! Believe it or not, before last night's gig (while we were faffing around sorting babysitting arrangements, dinner for the kids and a dozen other things) I was almost feeling that I couldn't be bothered to go out. Better to curl up in front of a DVD with a bottle of wine, I thought. Problem is, we don't go out all that often so we are kind of out of the habit :shock:

I have never been so pleased that I made the effort to do something! And it was Fish himself that made the evening such a memorable one! What a star! 8-)

I even felt under a bit of personal pressure, as the Cluny was my suggestion for a Newcastle venue. I knew that Fish hadn't played there before, accommodation in the immediate area was not available, and following a few luke-warm revues of some other gigs/venues I was somewhat apprehensive... So it was immensely satisfying to hear Fish and Yatta describing it as the "best gig on the tour so far". Result!! :D

If the Carlisle and Glasgow gigs are a patch on this one, then you guys are in for a real treat! :)
Next

Full Version