Gigs & conventions, meets & greets, set lists, show photos & reviews

Re: Newcastle Cluny gig...

Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:36 pm

flamehairedfalconer wrote:My other half took some amazing photos (we were stood on the balcony next to the stage) and I will add them later

Was that the girl with the red hair? Looking forward to seeing those pics FHF!!! 8-)

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:20 pm

Brilliant review Conan. I must admit i was stunned how good his voice was on the night.The gig was spot on.
The only thing is i made the mistake of standing top of the stairs next to the bar with my lass where one are two talked through the songs real done my head in.
The speaker up there did not come on,It seemed to me till the last song so when fish was talking could not realy hear him very well.
But must say i was still one of the best gig i seen in a long time.If he plays there again i have to find a better place to stand :lol:

Got me tickets signed by fish after gig one for me one for my 10 year old son who was realy up set he could not come ,My lass when't for me as i was like a school girl to shy to go and talk to him :lol:
When she was asking fish turned round to where i was sitting outside and shouted WHAT ALAN TO LAZY TO GET IT HIM SELF :lol: :lol:

PS will kid be allowed at the Haddington gig

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:31 pm

sakuma wrote:The only thing is i made the mistake of standing top of the stairs next to the bar with my lass...

Were you the dark haired couple that were originally standing down on the main floor but moved up the stairs after the support act? If so, we were stood right behind you - just at the bottom of the stairs... And when we were having our tea you were at the table in front of us! :)

Of course, that may have been someone else entirely! :oops:

Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:04 pm

Lol someone else entirely we where right next to the merchandise table girlfriend like to be at the back.If you when't to the bar through the gig you would have passed us it would have been nice to see you put a face to the name

Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:23 pm

It's really great to hear that his voice is improving all the time. - There's no doubt about it that it had suffered over the last few years, but from the few Youtube clips i've seen of this tour, he is sounding great. Much clearer and with greater resonance.- If only i could have found the time to be there in the flesh. - It's all looking great for the upcoming album. :D

Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:46 pm

Here is the first one - he is still working on the others. It is black and white as he was complaining about the red spots....photographers eh? :D

Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:50 pm

flamehairedfalconer wrote:Here is the first one - he is still working on the others. It is black and white as he was complaining about the red spots....photographers eh? :D

Great photo.
I love the composition with Fish in the foreground and Frank in the background yet both in focus and both clearly enjoying themselves.
If teh others are that good I would like to see them

Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:46 pm

Conan wrote:Fish said that he would love to come back to the Cluny before Christmas. OK, that could have been emotion and wine talking... but he certainly seemed to be having a ball tonight. Book your tickets if it happens Ladies and Gentlemen. If it is half as good as tonight's gig then it may just about be the best Fish gig you have ever seen!!

Seems to tie in with the potential pre Christmas Pocklington gig Fish mentioned to me in the pub last night.
Better start saving folks.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:03 pm

Teddynonose wrote:
flamehairedfalconer wrote:Here is the first one - he is still working on the others. It is black and white as he was complaining about the red spots....photographers eh? :D

Great photo.
I love the composition with Fish in the foreground and Frank in the background yet both in focus and both clearly enjoying themselves.
If teh others are that good I would like to see them

Dunno about this "composition" rubbish to which my esteemed forum colleague refers.... but it's a great photo!! You can see the enjoyment on Fish's face! :D

Frank looks like an evil wizard from a Terry Pratchett story! :lol:

Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:16 pm

Some words from my point of view! We arrived at Newcastle airport at 11:30. Pick up the rental car. Then followed the journey to the hotel, chose the right (the left one :D ) side of the road. The TomTom told me the right way. We left the luggage at the hotel and started a first walk through Newcastle. So many bridges :!: I never expected so many up and downhill in a town on a river. Back at the hotel around 4 o'clock. Then we fell in a short asleep. Ring, Ring Melissa at the phone. My girl friend Steffi was already sleeping. I said Melissae that we might meet at The Cluny. The next waking up was around 18:30. Left the hotel to walk to The Cluny at 19:00.

We arrived at the Cluny at 19:45 coming through Lime street. A lot of people there. First Entrance was wrong (Cluny 2). Second entrance was the right one to enter the pub. Asked fo the tickets which I had to pick up at the box office. Got the first drink a pint of Summer Lightning forme and a coke for Steffi from the bar. I saw the long table with guys wearing Fish shirts and realised that it would be hard to communicate in the pub because it was so loudly and all spoke. And I lost the brave to say Hello, sorry!

Some drinks later (pints of Wylam Festival Ale, Freedom Lager and Peach Beer for Steffi) we enter the venue where Fish should appear. At the entrance they check the credit card number for the tickets. At 21:00 Fish appeared on stage. Conan talked about the set list already. My favourite was Gentleman's Excuse Me (especially the piano). I was delighted about the good interaction between the guitar and the piano. Sometimes it was so powerful as the piano began to dominate some of the songs. Steffi misssed Pilgrims Address (You can't always get want you want!).

We stood next to the entrance on the upper level of the venue. Manchaml during the performance I went further forward for a better look at the stage. Steffi tried to count the people. She estimated around 200 were there.

At the upper level was the bar and two times there was a guy who was drunken who don't stopped talking. Each time he was asked to leave the venue. With a little help of the staff he was gone and was never seen again. It was better this way.

Altogether I can say an evening I will never forget. Thanks to Fish! Hello to Melissa (I hope you are come home well), Geoff and all the others!

There are more things to say about our trip to Newcastle but not in this thread!
Next

Full Version