For all of the musicians on the board

In-the-ear-monitors

Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:55 pm

I remember on the 'Internal...' tour Fish was using in-the-ear-monitors (quite a new thing back then). I think I read about it in the Company Fanzine, I also recall someone saying that they couldn't hear the vocals too well if they were in the front row with the wedges missing from the stage.

Anyhow, I was wondering if there was a particular reason that Fish doesn't use them anymore? I noticed that Marillion all seem to have them on their current tour (they had to take them out to talk to each other on stage!).

Ed

Re: In-the-ear-monitors

Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:23 pm

I'm guessing that Fish likes to be able to hear the audience, something you lose with in-ear monitors.

Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:34 pm

I was in the front row at a gig in Wath-upon-Dearne where the support act was PBII - they all used in-ear monitors, and the drummer used a part-electronic kit. They weren't using the floor wedges at all, and the PA speakers are quite far forward at that venue. The front row sound was weird - the hi-hats were much louder than everything else.

Only other person apart from Marillion I've seen using in-ear monitors in the past 12 months was Lisa Fury of Karnataka.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:36 pm

I used IEM's for several years while doing the Radiohead thing, but i found it very impersonal, and although its really nice to go to bed without the inevitable tinitus, it felt like being in a studio and no fun at all, So these days, I put up with the cons, and its a far more enjoyable way of performing. I think basically I got over the gimmick of it. Bit like radio sytems for guitar, which is fine if you move about on stage a lot, but for me, this lives in the bottom of the same case as my IEMs...

Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:24 am

Never used them myself, for two reasons.

One, all those listed above :) , and two - they've never been available! Not that I'm bothered like!

Full Version