For all of the musicians on the board

Past-Present Equipment/Instruments/Etc. Used...

Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:19 pm

Hi Guys,

To answer your question, we used a lot of stuff on the album but what was extensively used was not just Guitar Rig but other modules from the NI Komplete series, namely Kontakt and Absynth. We also used a lot of sounds and samples from within the Apple 'Logic' software. The reason the CD sounds so good though in my opinion is that Calum mixed it on a classic 1970s Neve desk. It is really warm and the EQs have arguably never been bettered to this day.

Hope this helps!

Merry Christmas,

Steve

Thanks for the inside info Steve. I have to say I agree about the production on the album; it was one of the standout features for me when I first seriously listened to 13th Star. It has a 'warmth' that I usually associate with albums from the mid 70s that were recorded for release on vinyl. That type of sound is rare in recently recorded material, but I had never thought it might be the mixing desk that was the issue; tending to think it was the demands of digital format recording and the tendency for the sounds to be almost too clean and over-produced (drums particularly).

Re: Past-Present Equipment/Instruments/Etc. Used...

Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Gavin D's Bass Rig

Hi There.

I've followed all the advice at the start of this thread about checking out the gig photo's that are available - I've even caught myself trawling YouTube looking for video clips! - but I can't get a good look at Gavin Dickie's bass rig... anyone know what gear he favours?

I was blown away by his tone (and ability) on the November tour, and it's been nagging me ever since. I've seen a fair few other bands since then and none of the bass players have come close. Any information would be gratefully received!

Pip

Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:12 pm

Oi!, no cheating

Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:14 pm

Hi Pip, welcome back....

I'm not sure what rig Gav used on the last tour, but as we both come(originally) from the same town, Its pretty easy for me to find for you... leave it with me.

Bob

Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:39 pm

Pippin the Ranger wrote:Re: Gavin D's Bass Rig

I've followed all the advice at the start of this thread about checking out the gig photo's that are available - I've even caught myself trawling YouTube looking for video clips! - but I can't get a good look at Gavin Dickie's bass rig... anyone know what gear he favours?

Any information would be gratefully received!

Pip

Hi Pip. from looking some of the recent gig photos and doing a bit of online recognition research ( ;) ).... It looks like he is using a David Eden Nemesis 4x10 combo

http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod3858.htm

There is clearly a 4 string fretted tobacco sunburst Fender Jazz bass in the stand next to his rig, but I have to admit that I have not been able to identify (yet!) his 5 string fretless that seems to be his main instrument.... still working on it! :D

Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:51 pm

Cheers Conan, and Bob - very swift response time!
I can't believe I missed it on the photo's - my eyesight must be getting worse (no jokes, please)...

I meant the November 08 UK tour. Sorry for any confusion.

Pip

Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:19 pm

stingray wrote:
tosh wrote:Oi!, no cheating

im dying with laughter here,i cant believe you spotted me there :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nearly!!

Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:20 pm

I think the bass is a Yamaha TRB1005F..... nice axe! :)

Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:32 pm

here ya go,, direct from the good man himself..... and reproduced with his permission....
Hi Bob,
No problem. I am using a David Eden Nemesis NC 410 bass combo. A yamaha trb 5 fretless bass. a 1962 reissue Fender Jazz as my spare. I dont' us any EFX (yet) i'll leave that for the man on the desk. Pretty straight forward really.

all the best

Gavin D

:geek:

Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:57 am

So I was pretty close then? Can I claim my five pounds?! ;)
Next

Full Version