For all of the musicians on the board

The Poetry of Fish...

Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:36 pm

I wasn't sure where to start this thread. I thought this was a good place though, as I am interested in the technicalities of the poetry involved that Fish comes up & out with. It is very inspiring/aspiring to me. I love particularly the deep introspection, prose formations, etc. in Fish's lyrics. Perhaps this thread may be one in which Fish can clue us all in on those questions we have to know how he puts it altogether lyrically;) :D ;D :o 8-) ::) :P :'(

My first inquiry into, and I'll start with my signature I am currently using...

"The piper calls you forward with an ancient tune,..." Love this prose! When I think of this lyric, I think of a time before all innocence was lost, a time when we had dreams of reaching for the stars, then with so many people and places to be/see, we fall behind, and ask how could this be? Then a time comes after struggling for so long, making up our minds knowing all along, we needed to choose that path less taken, the one we needed to travel alone at times, the journey we knew we needed to take, to journey back to the stars, back to those dreams no one else tainted for us and had painted for us the darker pictures they wanted us instead to see, and so forth. I actually wrote an uncompleted song years back, which relates to this. I suppose this is why this particular prose speaks so much to me. My question to Fish is what exactly was entailed in your formatting this lyric particularly together? I keep this inquiry a bit general since it takes different strokes for different folks...I am just curious as to what yours were ;D

The Poetry of Fish...

Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:46 pm

Ok no response back yet. But here are the lyrics to my infamous one or two verse songs I typically write...

So long ago at another time
We chased our dreams
And we changed our minds
With so many people and places to see
We fell behind
How could this be ???

Knew it wasn't wasted
Life's not as it appears to be
And we knew if we chased it
We could catch our destiny right now
Right now
Whoa-o, whoa-o-o (mgirl is wailing at this point, but she can't type that part out too well)

There was more to this one, but I forget right now what the other verse was...duoh :P

Here is a song my dad wrote, when I was 9, and he was living in the basement as we didn't have a big enough dog house for him at the time, and he didn't know how to play a country record backwards to get all he lost back, back then. This one is for you daddy...

Too many beers
Too many tears
When will this heartache end ???

I woke last night
I'm all half tight

I just can't hide this hurt inside

Too many beers
Too many tears

She ask me why
I drink so much
And then her tears begin

I just can't hide this hurt inside

Too many beers
Too many tears

On a funnier side with my dad, was one that went something like this...After he'd sing that popular song as he played his guitar, "I want I want my calendar girl..." (i only remember really the first few lines my dad went into, so i made the rest up as i go or whatever)

January...
Pa poo poo poo
Februaury...
I pooped on you
March, April, June...
You ate it with a sthingy

(Here are my made up parts)
July, August, September...
I dunno if I want to remember
October, November, December...
Let's start again with Ahhhh..."January..."

Here is another song my dad wrote, inspired by my great-grandfather, who only talked to me in parables, and this song was written this time for my step-mom, Lillian, and not my mom...(again I cannot remember all of the lyrics)

You never miss the water
Until the well runs dry
You swear you'll never hurt her
Until you made her cry

Well, if you please forgive me
And take me back again
I swear I'll never hurt you
I'll never drink again

That is it I can't remember the rest, o'well
Anyway, I will return here again with more poetry, another time :)

Hope to read other's poetry here too ;)...Cool 8-)
Let those creative juices flow people :D
Last edited by mobiusgirl on Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Poetry of Fish...

Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:01 pm

testing, testing,...sthingy

Sthingy

sthingy

sthingyeage

sthingyerism

teasthingy's

sthingyy

Sthingyage

spooons

spooon it is

The Poetry of Fish...

Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:56 pm

testing, testing,...sthingy

Sthingy

sthingy

sthingyeage

sthingyerism

teasthingy's

sthingyy

Sthingyage

spooons

spooon it is

what is this things that begin with s ;D ;D

The Poetry of Fish...

Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:01 am

the ode to the letter S

the s is like a snake

as it hisses at the stake

the s is curvy like a good woman

s is the the letter with the soft shape

but not that of an ape

MG you got me started

The Poetry of Fish...

Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:10 am

The Yanks have landed-they've taken over 40% of the forum, quick, get your creative hearts out there and start blathering back, or they may go on forever...aaaaaahhhhh. Just kidding, I just happened to notice that we have been doing a lot of posting, but, we wouldn't if we didn't love you so much...
I too have wandered about the influence Fish may have had in his lyrical and poetic history? If any...sometimes it seems like the simplicity of it makes it great...at other times, it seems like the layers of the meaning keep peeling away every time I hear it, like Octavio Paz.

Since MG was so brave as to post her own lyrics, I have decided follow her lead,and post one of mine, poetry or lyrics?
Ahem... Ahem... Ahem....
I never title them so there is no title...
Ahem....
May I have a drink of water please?
(Gulp Gulp)
Ahem... (get on with it!)

History of story them of long ago
gray dressed hill top walkers
wandering the moonlight
pressed heart of gentle knowledge
as above so below...
what song did she sing then
averim?
to them?
I wonder at the ageless the nameless
the thing that no one gets
This is what I wonder most often yet
why here?
why now?
how did we forget?

(p.s. I made that up on the spot because I couldn't find the original I'd written...so it hasn't been edited or anything, and is admittedly not exactly a great debut peice to introduce to the world, but so what?)
Last edited by nocomment2 on Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Poetry of Fish...

Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:42 am

The Yanks have landed-they've taken over 40% of the forum, quick, get your creative hearts out there and start blathering back, or they may go on forever...aaaaaahhhhh. Just kidding, I just happened to notice that we have been doing a lot of posting, but, we wouldn't if we didn't love you so much...
I too have wandered about the influence Fish may have had in his lyrical and poetic history? If any...sometimes it seems like the simplicity of it makes it great...at other times, it seems like the layers of the meaning keep peeling away every time I hear it, like Octavio Paz.

Since MG was so brave as to post her own lyrics, I have decided follow her lead,and post one of mine, poetry or lyrics?
Ahem... Ahem... Ahem....
I never title them so there is no title...
Ahem....
May I have a drink of water please?
(Gulp Gulp)
Ahem... (get on with it!)

History of story them of long ago
gray dressed hill top walkers
wandering the moonlight
pressed heart of gentle knowledge
as above so below...
averim?
to them?
I wonder at the ageless the nameless
the thing that no one gets
This is what I wonder most often yet
why here?
why now?
how did we forget?

Good work I got chills === or was that coming into the Air conditioning from outside... all kidding aside it relay did give me chills.

thanks teri good work. :-/

The Poetry of Fish...

Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:46 am

O, I likey, I do, I do. Very deep, and very longing to understand that of ancient, that which sent them on their quest, which us as them doth send us on our quest to become History of story us of long ago. Bravo! :'( :-/ :'( More please ;D

The Poetry of Fish...

Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:21 am

MY turn 8-)

The Indians

the drums beat

their steady drum drum drum

The brave men in their Skins and hide move around the fire

louder and louder are their chants go till they reach a prior

the ponies are nervous and they know what the spirits are bringing

Are these braves going to meet the long Knives

are these braves going to meet their fate

are these braves dancing in a circle but for what

yes it not for war or for rain but for love

it is a wedding dance I see two faintly to a side dressed in white buck skin

so let the drums beat and the fire blaze with the light of love

cause love is what makes us at peace with the world

later the drums are beating aging in a slow rhythm

tum tum the moon is full but no dancing circle

just the chief in the center of the fire ring

the drums stop and a woman bring something raped into the circle

what can it be

there is a small cry from the bundle as the chief holds the baby high to the moon

and pronounce the name to the mother of us all and introduces the child to the universe

there is love here and all is right with the world again

life goes on

The Poetry of Fish...

Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:05 pm

well, david, I know it takes some bravery to post your thoughts, and feelings, and poetry in front of God and everyone, so, I just wanted to recognize that effort you made...seems kind of like a Willie Nelson song...maybe?
Next

Full Version