The place to discuss any songs, albums, lyrics or artist

Re: TransAtlantic

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:35 am

Hmmm.... interesting views.

Maybe I'll have to see if they are on Spotify to get a first listen.

Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:22 pm

Teddynonose wrote:Coincedentally my 11 year old son is really getting into Dream Theatre at the moment.
I know very little about them although my other son suggested I listened to the track Octavarium which seems to be a homage to the likes of Genesis, Marillion and other prog groups.

The link with Transatlantic is obviously Mick Pourtney.
So now I'm thinking that I need to investigate Transatlantic further. What is the best album to start with ????

TNN, I'm a bit of a Dream Theater fan...there are a couple of good live albums which are both decent introductions to the band......try 'Live At Budokan' and 'Score'.....the material can be a bit lengthy but the musicianship is first class !

:)

Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:21 pm

garyashton wrote:I'm a bit of a Dream Theater fan...

Which bit Gary?! ;)

I must admit that they leave me a bit cold. Outstanding musicianship? Definitely - but to what end? Can they carry a tune? Can they write a track that influences people's lives (like Fish and marillion have done many times?). I think not.

IMO, they use their musicianship as a big stick to beat us over the head with! Listening to them becomes a challenge rather than a pleasure... :shock:

Just my opinion of course!! :D

Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:23 pm

Oh, I almost forgot - I can't STAND James LaBrie's voice!! :x :?

Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:32 pm

well, I love th three records, and the special edition of whirlwind is absolutely brilliant, and the tou is going to be three hours long in neal's morse words, so I can't wait to see them live and all those epics, I love roine's voice too ;)

Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:34 pm

josemanuel wrote:...and the tour is going to be three hours long in neal's morse words,

That's a very short tour!! :lol:

Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:57 pm

Conan wrote:
garyashton wrote:I'm a bit of a Dream Theater fan...

Which bit Gary?! ;)

I must admit that they leave me a bit cold. Outstanding musicianship? Definitely - but to what end? Can they carry a tune? Can they write a track that influences people's lives (like Fish and marillion have done many times?). I think not.

IMO, they use their musicianship as a big stick to beat us over the head with! Listening to them becomes a challenge rather than a pleasure... :shock:

Just my opinion of course!! :D

...and you are entitled to it Geoff !......hope U enjoy the album you are currently listening to !!......a few years ago I would have agreed with you about James....he just seemed to scream his way through but he has much improved over the last few albums and live as well. I went to Progressive Nation at Manchester Apollo and THE WHOLE BAND were fantastic

;)

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:12 pm

They're coming to town in April and I'm thinking about going. Anyone who has seen them live...any good / worth seeing? My friend suggested going, but tbh neither one of us really knows anything about them :o

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:34 am

SheChameleon wrote:They're coming to town in April and I'm thinking about going. Anyone who has seen them live...any good / worth seeing? My friend suggested going, but tbh neither one of us really knows anything about them :o

Plenty of their live stuff is on youtube....worth a look !

Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:15 pm

garyashton wrote:
SheChameleon wrote:They're coming to town in April and I'm thinking about going. Anyone who has seen them live...any good / worth seeing? My friend suggested going, but tbh neither one of us really knows anything about them :o

Plenty of their live stuff is on youtube....worth a look !

Thanks, I'll have a look around.
Next

Full Version