The place to discuss any songs, albums, lyrics or artist

Tell us about the gig you have recently been to

Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:45 pm

We have popular topics regarding books you are reading and music that you are currently listening to so here's your chance to tell us about a gig that you have just been to.
This is really a continuation of the "Gig Withdrawal Symptoms" topic.
Last edited by Teddynonose on Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Tell us about the gig you have recently been to

Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:04 pm

So I better start off....
On Friday we went to see Fleetwood Mac at Wembley Arena.
I have seen FM a few times before, many years ago, as well as the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band last year.
I wasn't that keen on going to Wembley Arena but as my wife is a big FM fan we had to go.
Thanks to The Company we took your advice and parked at Stanmore and took the Jubilee Line to Wembley Park which was much cheaper than paying £18 to park at Wembley, and had the addition of the walk from the station up to the stadium which is very impressive,
The arena has had a bit of a face lift particularly on the outside which bode well for the gig
Anyway Fleetwood Mac were on top form. The sound was excellent right from the start which is very rare particularly at arena shows.
Two and a half hours of magic. Lindsey Buckingham was on fire. When people put together lists of guitar heroes, Mr Buckingham is often forgotten. He was awesome. The highlights of the show (and there were many) were "Oh Well" followed by "I'm so Afraid" where Buckingham let rip. Fantastic.
There was a great balance between Buckingham and Nicks songs the majority of which came from their first two albums.
This was no treading water exercise. The band really put alot of effort into the performance and were obviously enjoying themselves. Steve Nick's voice and Mick Fleetwoods drumming and traditional barking mad drum solo were top drawer.
Even the atmosphere was much better than I expected for an audience ranging mainly between 30 to 60 year olds all singing along to "Don't Stop", "Rhiannon" and "Go Your Own Way".
We went home very happy.

Buckingham and Fleetwood were interviewed on Radio 2 this afternoon and apparently there is a Fleetwood Mac programme on the BBC this evening.

Muse in 2 weeks time...can't wait.....
And not forgetting Mr Rothery and Co at the end of the month !

Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:37 pm

Well I saw Magnum play the Holmfirth Picturedrome on Friday night, £18.50 to get in and free parking in Holmfirth !......plus the bonus that Holmfirth is just 5 miles from where I live.

Decadenze provided an energetic and noisy support slot and will no doubt have a good follwoing amongst the younger Rock Fan fraternity but the packed out crowd were there to see Tamworth's finest and they didn't disappoint. I have lost count of the number of times I have seem Mangnum live since the early 80's and it's so nice to report that Bob,Tony,Mark, Harry and Al are still an excellent live band who know how to work their audience.

The biggest suprise was the set-list , it leaned very heavily on 3 albums, 'Into The Valley Of The Moonking', 'Princess Alice and The Broken Arrow' and 'Brand New Morning'........the set list contained only 5 Magnum Classics.......'Les Morts Dansant', 'All Englands Eyes','Vigilante' , 'Don't Wake The Lion' and set closer 'Kingdom Of Madness.........highlights of the set ?.......a brilliant double of 'When We Were Younger' and 'Brand New Morning'.

An excellent evening of classic rock.

Next up for me in November is Steve Hackett, again at Holmfirth and a trip over the pennines to see Marillion play at Burnley.

:)

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:40 am

I haven't been to a gig in aaaages! Fish last year in Glasgow (November) was the last one I think. Bad times...

Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:50 am

The Magnum gig sounds great. I really wanted to see them this month but unfortunately I'm doing other things.
The set list sounds great. I think their last two albums were a real return to form so its good to know that they believe in the newer material.
And it looks like they played some good classics as well. I would have been happy with that !
Magnum are a great band

Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:38 pm

Saw IQ a few weeks ago in Bilston - excellent gig. Really good set-list and band on top form. Thoroughly enjoyed by Mr & Mrs Rich.
Next stop Lemmers - Pendragon

Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:18 pm

If, going off thread a minute, gigs up and coming, Deep purple, Nec, 13th of this month, and just booked tickets for Mark Knopfler next May, got alot of creeping to do :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:00 pm

Being in Orkney - and only getting back to 'Mainland' about once a year - am kinda limited on concerts. Have been a few good concerts in Orkney over the years - esp. a weekend a few years back, which included the Saw Doctors /Proclaimers headlining one night - well worth the £20 paid.

However - recently - 14th October - had a great night, when Edwyn Collins and support, the 1990's played local nightclub. Was never really into Orange Juice - but having seen the main man - and heard a good few of his solo works - am really impressed. Met him and his wife Grace after, what a fantastic couple. Esp. bearing in mind what the man has been through. I really recommend Grace's book - Falling & laughing, about Edwyn's ongoing recovery. The 1990's - were not too bad either. Well worth a listen.

Am a we bit out of touch re. tours lined up - but certainly a few bands I would love to see.

George

Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:49 am

My wife has just called me to say that she has bought us tickets to see Paloma Faith next March !

Just because she agreed to come and see Marillion she thinks she can do this to me !
Oh well Paloma was quite entertaining on Later with Jools Holland a couple of weeks ago !

Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:30 pm

My 11 year old son and I went up to the O2 and saw Muse last night.
My first gig at the O2. I had been avoiding it as its a rather large arena however I was pleasantly surprised. Its pretty impressive. Comfortable and well designed. Although I wouldnt like to be in one of the highest seats where you probably need a climbing harness !
There's a huge selection of eating establishments around the arena. My only complaint was being herded into a queue when trying to get onto the tube on the way home.
I saw Muse 2 years ago when they were on absolute top form and set the benchmark for live shows.
This time round...well the stage and lights were particularly impressive. They dont rest on their laurels in that department.
They played 8 songs from their new album which may have not been a good idea. They seemed to not be quite as fresh and urgent as last time. Perhaps they have been touring for too long? Still a great gig but probably and 8.5 of 10 instead of the 9.5 I would have given them last time.
The review of the Planetrock news website is right on the money.

Meanwhile my 18 year old son went to see them at Birmingham NIA on Tuesday. He queued up outside the venue from 12:30 fo 6 hours just to ensure that he was right at the front which he achieved ! Does anyone else remember doing daft things like that when they were 18 ?!
He's now gone to see Kasabian at Wembley this evening. He left a bit later this time. 2PM !!!

So next gig..... oh yes.... Mr Rotherey and Co and Leamington Spa
Next

Full Version