The place to discuss any songs, albums, lyrics or artist

Re: Tell us about the gig you have recently been to

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:02 pm

Teddynonose wrote:I will keep this short as I suspect Miss Swift isnt favoured by many of you.

Not necessarily! Very open minded musically. - Nice to mix things up and see and listen to a lot of different artists and genres. - Don't know much about Miss Swift's work, but I know she has a great voice and writes a lot of her own stuff, which is a great deal more than can be said of a lot of 'Pop' artists. - Glad you both enjoyed it Andy! :D

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:45 pm

arcademannequin wrote:
Teddynonose wrote:I will keep this short as I suspect Miss Swift isnt favoured by many of you.

Not necessarily! Very open minded musically. - Nice to mix things up and see and listen to a lot of different artists and genres. - Don't know much about Miss Swift's work, but I know she has a great voice and writes a lot of her own stuff, which is a great deal more than can be said of a lot of 'Pop' artists. - Glad you both enjoyed it Andy! :D

"Red" is a great album.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:03 am

The Straits
16th February 2014
St Albans Arena

I went to see The Straits last night in St Albans with my kids!
A new version of Dire Straits. Not quite a tribute band as two of the members were in Dire Straits, Alan Clark on Keyboards and Chris White on saxophone. Mark Knopfler's shoes were ably filled by a guy who not only could play guitar like Mr Knopfler but his voice also sounded very similar.
Brilliant musicians who played fantastic versions of those fantastic Dire Straits songs that I thought I would never hear played live again.
I last saw Dire Straits at Hammersmith Odeon almost 30 years ago which was one of the best gigs I have ever been to (even Eric Clapton played with them on that occasion).
Great set list including wonderful versions of Telegraph Road, Sultans of Swing, Brothers in Arms, Communique, Tunnel of Love, Romeo and Juliet, Private Investigations, Portobello Belle, Walk of Life etc... which earned them a deserved standing ovation.

I think that we sometimes forget that Dire Straits were one of Britain's best ever bands. I think that they are going to be back on my ipod, cd player and turntable this week.

It made me think of the topic on the forum where we are discussing Steve Hogarth singing Fish's songs.
One of the reasons I tend to avoid tribute bands is because I want to see and hear the musicians who wrote and originally performed the songs.
Nowadays many bands who have been around for 30 or 40 years have lost members, split up and reformed. Very few have all the original members.

Thin Lizzy (Black Star Riders) continue just with Scott Gorham and occasionally Brian Downey) and they brilliant carry on the Lizzy Legacy. In Deep Purple Steve Morse has well and truly taken over from Richie Blackmore. The Who no longer have Keith Moon and Mr Entwhistle. Pink Floyd carried on without Roger Waters and were even better !..... Genesis went from strength to strength when they lost Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett....... Fleetwood Mac reinvented themselves after Peter Green and a host of other members had left to become global superstars.....and the list goes on.
I was quite uncomfortable watching Queen with Paul Rodgers who although is one of the best rock singers ever still couldn't replace Freddie Mercury. Journey are not as good without Steve Perry.

Its a bit like evolution. Do we want to see great bands die or do we want to see the music continue being played by different musicians ?

Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:56 am

http://thestraits.com/

Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:10 am

Transatlantic
8th March 2014
Berlin - Astra Kulturhaus

What a great gig! Doors 7 pm. and Transatlantic on stage 8 pm. Top musicians on stage. You could realise, that they had fun during the gig. My favourites are still the Whirlwind songs! A shame that there is only one gig in the UK!

P.S. Shortly before half past eight a guy asked me if the band was really on stag at 8 pm. (they were). And I said to him that he really missed only one song!

Setlist
Spoiler:
Into the Blue
My New World
Shine
Overture (Abridged)
Rose Colored Glasses
Evermore
Is It Really Happening?
Dancing With Eternal Glory (Whirlwind (Reprise) section)
Beyond the Sun
Kaleidoscope (With "Ride the Lightning" snippet by Metallica)
Guitar Duet (Morse and Stolt)
We All Need Some Light
Black as the Sky

Encore:
All of the Above (Full Moon Rising / October Wind)
Stranger in Your Soul (Awakening The Stranger / Slide / Stranger in Your Soul)

Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:40 pm

Mike and the Mechanics
St Albans Arena
9th March 2014

I have seen Genesis quite a few times as well as Mr Hackett's latest Genesis Revisited shows but I have never seen Mike and the Mechanics.
As they were playing less than 30 minutes away I thought I would check them out.

FIrst of all the audience seemed really old. OK I know im 50 but I still felt like I was one of the youngest ! And an old sitting audience is never brilliant for creating a good atmosphere !

Support band was Sadie and the Hotheads. I thought they were very ordinary and quite boring however I discovered that their lead singer is Elizabeth McGovern who is quite a well known TV and film actress appearing on numerous films and series including Downton Abbey !

Mike and the Mechanics uniqueness (although not obvious until you see them live) is that they have two male lead singers. Originally Paul Carrack and Paul Young but nowadays Andrew Roachford (of Cuddly Toy fame) and Tim Howar who has played numerous lead roles in London musicals. And the Mechanics are all about short perfectly formed pop/rock songs with a soulful edge.

I've always thought that Mike Rutherford always looks the most unlikely of rock guitarists and as usual he looks as misplaced as ever however he is one of the key songwriters in Genesis and also in the Mechanics. He obviously loves playing in a band. He doesnt take centre stage, he allows his two singers to do the performing but he does introduce a few songs and everyone defers to him.

Andrew Roachford is a very talented and soulful singer as well as keyboard player and Tim Howar has a great rock voice.They treat us to most of the Mechanics hits and there are more than you would realise! We even get a couple of Roachford's songs which he performs brilliantly.

However the surprise of the night was the inclusion of two Genesis songs, "Turn it on Again" and "We Cant Dance" which got the most applause.

So 90 minutes of great music with really excellent singing. Rutherford leaves the flashy guitar solos to his guitar sidekick Andrew Drennan, Rutherford has never pretended to be a guitar hero although he surprises us all in the encore with a brief version of Hendrix's Purple Haze !

It was a good gig, Never going to be as good as Genesis and to be honest I prefered the recent Steve Hackett gig as that is the Genesis that I really love.
Last edited by Teddynonose on Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:45 pm

Mike and the Mechanics Set List

Spoiler:
1.A Beggar on a Beach of Gold
2.Another Cup of Coffee
3.Get Up
4.Try to Save Me
5.Seeing Is Believing
6.Silent Running (On Dangerous Ground)
7.Don't Play
8.This Generation (Roachford)
9.Turn It On Again (Genesis)
10.When My Feet Don't Touch the Ground
11.Everybody Gets A Second Chance
12.Nobody's Perfect
13.Cuddly Toy(Roachford)
14.I Can't Dance (Genesis)
15.The Living Years
16.All I Need Is a Miracle
Encore:
17.Over My Shoulder
18.Word of Mouth

Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:14 pm

Teddynonose wrote:Mike and the Mechanics
St Albans Arena
9th March 2014

I have seen Genesis quite a few times as well as Mr Hackett's latest Genesis Revisited shows but I have never seen Mike and the Mechanics.

It was a good gig, Never going to be as good as Genesis and to be honest I prefered the recent Steve Hackett gig as that is the Genesis that I really love.

So, I think, it was a good idea to order a ticket for the Steve Hackett gig here in Berlin in May!!!

Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:17 pm

Not a gig, but a recording of a gig. Peter Gabriel's Back to Front movie of the the last tour. One hour and 45 minutes. Not only the gig, a lot of comments by the band mates. It was nice to hear the music again, great!

Wed May 14, 2014 8:19 am

Bear's Den
Brixton Electric
13th May

This was an impulsive gig. Some friends were going and had a spare ticket so I decided to go just the day before.
And what a good choice !

First off the 6 of us had food and a couple of beers in the Trinity pub which was in a nice quiet Brixton back road. Recommended if you are ever in Brixton

I've been to many gigs at the Brixton Academy but never the Brixton Electric which used to be called the Fridge. Great perfect size venue that must hold around 1000 people. Must have previously been a theatre. So similar to Shepherds Bush, The Forum etc but the main floor area is a bit wider and therefore a wide stage.

To be honest I have only briefly heard of Bears Den as my friend is always talking about them.
This was by far their biggest headline act and the place was heaving with people which obviously pleased and surprised the band (and me) who said it was the best night of their lives.!
I managed to get in the middle at the front to witness a really great gig. It felt like this was a band about to become big.

They are primarily a 3 piece alternating between acoustic and electric. The lead guitarist spends half his time on banjo and the drummer occasionally manages to play drums and the bass at the same time ! Musically they are closest to bands like Mumford and Sons and Fleet Foxes. Most of the songs made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck particularly due to some great vocal harmonies. For the first encore the band stood in the middle of the audience and played a song with no amps or mikes !

Definitely worth seeing before they become huge !
I need to order their EPs
Next

Full Version