The place to discuss any songs, albums, lyrics or artist

VINYL COLLECTION ANYONE ???

Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:34 am

Just thought I would start this thread since there is a "Last cd you bought" thread.

Does Anyone still buy Vinyl or is it just me ??? :( :cry: ;) :D

What vinyls do you still have ?

When and where did you Buy them ?

Was there a specific reason for buying a certain Vinyl ?

Re: VINYL COLLECTION ANYONE ???

Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:01 am

mwelljester wrote:Just thought I would start this thread since there is a "Last cd you bought" thread.

Does Anyone still buy Vinyl or is it just me ??? :( :cry: ;) :D

Occasionally, yes. Mostly cds though.

mwelljester wrote:What vinyls do you still have ?

A mixed up collection of old ones that have been spared from the record shelf emptying years ago and the newer ones.

mwelljester wrote:When and where did you Buy them ?

The older ones are mostly bought at the eighties and have been bought from record stores and second hand shops. Newer are from the bands themselves, flea markets and from internet sellers and stores like wowhd.ie for example.

mwelljester wrote:Was there a specific reason for buying a certain Vinyl ?

Nowadays I usually buy a vinyl only for the sake of the vinyl itself. For example I have pre-ordered from one of my favourite artists the upcoming album in both vinyl and cd even though I probably won't listen to that vinyl at all, but it is so nice to look at. :D

I don't have so much vinyl left. In fact I could paste below a statistics from my music list by format so you'll see:

CD - 1023
MC - 305
LP - 101
2CD - 71
CDS - 48
7" - 27
DVD - 26
CDEP - 25
CD+DVD - 24
VHS - 17
Other - 8
2DVD - 7
2LP - 7
12" - 7
2CD+DVD - 5
4CD - 5
5CD - 3
3CD - 3
6CD - 2
HDCD - 1
10" - 1
4LP - 1

Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:57 am

My gosh, Lauri! Can't believe you actually counted your collection! :lol: ;) :D

I don't collect vinyl as such, as I have no means to play records, but if I'm in a music shop (are there any left?! :? :cry: ) and I see some album cover artwork that I like, I'll buy it in order to frame it for my music room wall. Have quite a few framed albums dotted around the house, of artists that I actually like of course! :)

Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:19 am

arcademannequin wrote:My gosh, Lauri! Can't believe you actually counted your collection! :lol: ;) :D

:lol: :D

Actually I am a member in a Finnish music oriented forum and there is a user-friendly list, where you can input your record collection. There's a drop down menu for different formats so the program does the math for you. Of course when I first time fed the albums and others in the list it was some kind of a work, but for many years now I have updated it every time when something new comes or leaves, so it doesn't demand too much to keep it up to date. :)

For example Top 5 in release years on my records goes as follows:

1986 - 79
1987 - 69
1988 - 66
1985 - 61
1991 - 60

:crazy:

Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:03 am

I have to admit that I'm counting my DVD collection too :oops: :mrgreen:

As for the vinyls,I only buy Marillion vinyl or Fish in order to frame them,like Paul does ;)
I've got some DM vinyls(included a grey one),Madonna,Jean Michel Jarre or Elvis Presley(they belong to my father so they are very important to me)
8-)

Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:01 pm

I used to count all my records and list them in a book.
I have about 600 to 700 vinyl albums, About 120 vinyl 12" SINGLES AND ABOUT 300 VINYL 7" SINGLES.

I have a turntable and i play them regularly
I dont have many duplicate CDs and vinyl albums.

I havent bought any vinyl for a long time.
I converted to CDs a lot later than most people when vinyl became more expensive than Cds

Vinyl is very expensive now although I prefer it.
I did order the Lifesigns album on vinyl as I love the cover artwork however they decided not to produce it.

My new Acoustic Q floor speakers arrived yesterday so I think I will be playing more vinyl :D

Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:55 pm

Teddynonose wrote:I used to count all my records and list them in a book.
I have about 600 to 700 vinyl albums

You mean 60 to 70 vinyl? You don't have 700 vinyl albums.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:05 pm

Lauri wrote:
arcademannequin wrote:My gosh, Lauri! Can't believe you actually counted your collection! :lol: ;) :D

:lol: :D

Actually I am a member in a Finnish music oriented forum and there is a user-friendly list, where you can input your record collection. There's a drop down menu for different formats so the program does the math for you. Of course when I first time fed the albums and others in the list it was some kind of a work, but for many years now I have updated it every time when something new comes or leaves, so it doesn't demand too much to keep it up to date. :)

For example Top 5 in release years on my records goes as follows:

1986 - 79
1987 - 69
1988 - 66
1985 - 61
1991 - 60

:crazy:

Sorry, going off thread here, but I find this very interesting. - I'd be very curious to see how my collection spreads out over the decades. - I'm inclined to think that although I have a fairly broad taste that covers all the different eras of music, I probably have a lot more stuff from the 70's than any other decade.

I wonder if there is an English version of the program you mention? :?

Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:46 am

arcademannequin wrote:I wonder if there is an English version of the program you mention? :?

Sorry, I believe there is no English version on that particular program because the site where it is, is a self made site from the scratch. But I believe you can find something like that in the internet somewhere else.

And sorry 'bout the off-topic from me too. Please tell more about your collections, it's interesting to read. :)

Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:20 am

I still have hundreds of vinyl albums, but probably only listen to a portion of these. I have a 1962 Dansette record player which has a beautiful tone and sound. I mainly play albums that fit it`s age ie. 60`s, and 70`s up to about 1979. Records after this time don`t sound so good on this machine somehow.

I have sold / replaced some vinyl over time. I still have a large batch of 7", 12" singles. Some of these were the first records I bought between the ages of 9 and 11 years old.( New Orleans by Gillan on 7" with a curry stain across the cover - thanks Dad. 2000 Man by Kiss with the pencil marks when me and my mate traced the cover). I came to realise that it was better value to buy albums than singles quite early on and think this took me into listening to albums as pieces of work as a whole. I would pour over the covers, appreciating the package/artwork and reading every detail such as who produced, engineered, musicians, instruments played etc. Looking for connections and so on.

We used to visit one of the second hand record shops, Rockpile (RIP) and take turns at a "Lucky Dip." Buying an album without knowing anything about the artist beforehand eg. the cover was impressive or among the standard band set up of instruments someone was playing fiddle, bazouki, or some obscure instrument. This lead to many interesting finds and some not so.

I came to CD later than most. This was due to lack of money to buy a decent CD player at the time ( `90 - `91 ). CD gets more attention when it comes to listening. However you can`t beat a good dose of Creedence, Byrds, C,S & N, Beatles on the old Dansette.
Next

Full Version