The place to discuss any songs, albums, lyrics or artist

It Bites

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:23 pm

With the arrival of Mr Beck into the Fish family i was wondering if its worth listening to to some of the more recent IT Bites music?
I do have Eat them in St Louis but that's from along time ago.

Unfortunately I managed to miss seeing them at the Leamington Convention :oops:

I see some of you have been listening to Tall Ships and Map of the Past
Are they any good? What are they like? Are they worth forking out some of my hard earnt pennies for ???

Just been listening to One Man and his Prog with Darren Redick on Planet Rock (Listen Again) and Darren played Circle Line by Fish followed by and It Bites track :)

Re: It Bites

Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:53 pm

I second this enquiry

Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:24 am

I've been a fan of the band since 1986, and they are still one of my favourites - so maybe I'm a bit biased... :o :D

In my opinion, Tall Ships and Map of the Past are two of their best albums. Of the two, I think that MOTP just shades it for me. Brilliant musicianship and skilled song-writing (which bodes well for Fish with John Beck now on board). Definitely worth the money in my humble opinion, but if you would rather have a listen first...

Another great album (from way back in 1987 and featuring original singer/guitarist Francis Dunnery) is Once around the World. This is the title track, and is one of the true prog masterpieces (or I think so, anyway!)...

Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am

Some more classic It Bites from the original line-up...

Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:44 am

And an interesting insight into music, bands, guitars and the recording process from Francis Dunnery and the rest of It Bites...

Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:57 am

I've tried to like Map Of The Past but for whatever reason i'vd just never got to grips with it. To me, it's ok but not great.

Though i'm glad this topic has come up as i think i'll give the album another play later and hopefully it'll all click into place.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:06 am

stevee1966 wrote:I've tried to like Map Of The Past but for whatever reason i'vd just never got to grips with it. To me, it's ok but not great.

Though i'm glad this topic has come up as i think i'll give the album another play later and hopefully it'll all click into place.

I think a lot of people feel a bit like this. As John Mitchell himself has said, It Bites are too poppy to be taken seriously by the "true" prog fans; but too proggy to be considered a pop band!! :D

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:09 am

I have friends who are fans so was quite looking forward to seeing them at the Leamington convention but I'm sorry to say that they did nothing for me. :?

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:27 am

keitht wrote:I have friends who are fans so was quite looking forward to seeing them at the Leamington convention but I'm sorry to say that they did nothing for me. :?

That's cool man! It would be a pretty boring world if we all liked the same stuff - Oh, except for Fish, that is! 8-) ;)

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:36 am

Cheers Cronan

I may go for Tall Ships

I had an email conversation with Darren Redick at Planetrock yesterday and he said that in his opinion Tall Ships was a better album than Map of the Past

Just shows you that we all like different things.
Even when it comes to Fish we all have different views on what his best songs and albums are !
Next

Full Version