The place to discuss any songs, albums, lyrics or artist

“Every band gets the audience that they deserve”

Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:53 pm

Yesterday on Planet Rock Darren Redick played 3 songs by Blue Oyster Cult chosen by his audience
He then said he gets alot of emails from listeners saying that certain bands (like BOC) never became as big as they should have been.
I guess many of us feel that way about certain bands and artists that we like !

Darren's response was

“Every band gets the audience that they deserve”.

This then started quite a debate by Planetrock listeners.

I can see exactly what he means.
What do you think about this statement ?

Re: “Every band gets the audience that they deserve”

Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:21 pm

I don't fully agree, although I can see where he is coming from. I feel the same way about two of my other favourite bands - Fishbone and It Bites.

Fame is a very fickle thing, and talent certainly doesn't guarantee it - otherwise Fish would be a household name and where would Justin Bieber be?

Some bands or artists get where they are (or were) due to being lucky, or in the right place at the right time.

Blue Oyster Cult are a funny one though. I've always loved the band, but can't help thinking that their constantly revolving personnel door (in recent years) hasn't helped them. They have always been much bigger on the other side of the Atlantic than here anyway. They don't tour here very often either.

As we have seen on this forum, fans like to think that their idols care about them personally. When that care wanes or was never there, fans often drift off onto something or someone else.

I would, however, be interested in Mr Reddick's thoughts on how a band can "improve" their audience, because there is an implication that they can...

It also works the other way - every audience gets the band they deserve! :twisted:

Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:24 pm

I think the statement refers to more than just the talent and music produced by the band

Being talented musicians, singers, performers and song writers is just one part of the equation.

For a band or artist to succeed at the highest level they need to be a successful business. Most musicians know very little about running a business. Therefore they need to make sure that they are represented by an excellent support team including excellent managers, marketing people, record companies, accountants, producers etc. If a band gets this right then anything is possible.

Just look at the bands that are massive on a global scale and all of them probably couldn't have done it without their managers.
The Beatles (Brian Epstein), The Rolling Stones (Andrew Oldham), Led Zeppelin (Peter Grant), Genesis (Tony Smith), U2 (Paul McGuinness), Iron Maiden (Rod Smallwood), Coldplay (Phil Harvey) .....even One Direction have Simon Cowell's empire behind them.

So if we look at bands and artists that have never got as big as those bands mentioned above but are probably as talented then I think we would find that their business model is nowhere near as good.

Obviously the band/artists need the product talent and some uniqueness about them so the managers etc have something good to market.

And we shouldnt diss bands/artists that we personally might not like or understand eg One Direction, Justin Bieber etc because there are millions of teenage girls who love them. And they must have talent that appeals to their audience.

Back in the early / mid 80s I always thought that Marillion would be the new Floyd / Genesis / U2. The reason that they probably didnt get that far is probably due to business decisions that were made. Thin Lizzy are probably a good example. Great musicians, songs, charismatic front man but they never had the commercial success.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:54 am

Teddynonose wrote:And we shouldnt diss bands/artists that we personally might not like or understand eg One Direction, Justin Bieber etc because there are millions of teenage girls who love them. And they must have talent that appeals to their audience.

Most of those girls are below teenage, but yes I take your point. Maybe those artists just have the best business plan and management teams possible? ;)

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:35 am

Conan wrote:
Teddynonose wrote:And we shouldnt diss bands/artists that we personally might not like or understand eg One Direction, Justin Bieber etc because there are millions of teenage girls who love them. And they must have talent that appeals to their audience.

Most of those girls are below teenage, but yes I take your point. Maybe those artists just have the best business plan and management teams possible? ;)

We all have bands/artists that we like or dislike but if bands/artists are very successful it means that they have an audience that likes them and we should respect them. Maybe I'm mellowing with age ?!!!!
There are an awful lot of people who wont like Fish. Marillion etc. It doesnt mean they are wrong or need their ears testing.
My kids cant understand why I like Fish and they like other rock bands.

And there are probably alot of people who would like Fish if they got the chance to hear him. And thats an issue he has to deal with every day ! He hasnt got a huge support team behind him. He does the best he can with the team he has. He had the chance to be massive with Marillion but for various reasons decided that he didnt want to take that path, which resulted in his audience getting smaller.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:04 pm

We all like bands and artists that we think should be hear and seen by a much bigger audience.
Which bands do you think would have sold millions and performed for millions worldwide if they had had the best management and support teams ?

The band that always springs to mind for me is Thin Lizzy.
We all know Thin Lizzy .
A unique and very charismatic front man who could write fantastic songs (Phil Lynott) from heavy rock, to pop to ballads. The unique harmonious sound of dual guitarists who were all superb musicians (Bell, Gorham, Robertson, Moore, White, Sykes), one of the very best drummers (Brian Downey).
They have a huge catalogue of great songs. Were brilliant live, infact better live than they were on record. They often get played on the radio. Boys are Back in Town and Jailbreak are considered as classic rock songs.

So good and with such a great reputation yet they never sold huge amounts or ever played to big arenas. When they really deserved to be heard and seen by millions.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:43 am

Interesting discussion but here's the real question for you.

Don't you all secretly enjoy going to the smaller gigs?

I know that I do.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:33 am

JohnSReid wrote:Interesting discussion but here's the real question for you.

Don't you all secretly enjoy going to the smaller gigs?

I know that I do.

Yes. One of my regrets is not seeing Rush while they were still playing venues like Newcastle City Hall. To be fair though, that was as far back as 1980!! :shock:

To me, the stadium/exhibition/conference centre experience is just not the same. :?

It's an odd one though isn't it? I wish Rush would play smaller, more intimate venues - and I wish Fish could have access to the biggest venues and audiences!! If their market shares were the other way around, no doubt my wishes for them would reflect that!

As fans we can be very self-centred can't we? ;)

Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:21 pm

Yes. We're selfish stubborn buggers!

Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:59 am

I agree
I prefer smaller venues every time.
Far more intimate, better atmosphere and usually much better sound.
I think even the bands prefer the smaller venues.

One of the disavantages of becoming successful is that demand decrees that you need to play arenas and stadiums.
I remember when Marillion started to play arenas I hated it.
And for so long I had wished that Marillion had a big audience and then I hated the fact that by having a big audience they now had to play bigger venues and i would see less of them.
Next

Full Version