Kudos and slaps, ask for help with any forum problems or questions

How the MFP Stats Work

Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:25 pm

Hi folks,

The MFP list has become something of a cult following here on The Union. I thought I'd explain exactly where it comes from and what you're looking at.

What the heck is the MFP?
Believe it or not, the Most Frequents Posters list began life back in the days of the Freaks mailing list*. Every month statistics would be posted of how many emails for each member, and they would be ranked. It was quite cool. I think I managed to get in the top 2 once or twice. Oh, and I was voted funniest poster by somebody once. I couldn't tell if he was being ironic or not. ANYWAY...

I decided that it would be rather cool/hip/groovy/proggish to recreate the original list with knobs on. Consider it a tribute to Freaks. The great thing about a forum such as the Union is that it's great for tracking what goes on and showing you all what's happening. So I began to work on the stats... And it's become something that everyone looks forward to each month more than their pay cheque.

So what does it mean?
Right now, the main stats are still the members posts. One of the things that has happened lately is the proliferation of games in the 'Fun and Games' section. Seeing as there are usually only jokes or answers, there isn't much need for counting these, so there's a seperate column called 'NG', which means 'Not Games'. Essentially, the NG column tells you how many posts that member has made outside of the Fun and Games forum (commencing from the July 2010 stats). The main count is still based on ALL POSTS though, so don't panic, Douglas.

The stats at the top have little arrows. These are to tell you if the number has increased from the previous month. So, if the posts say 1,000,000 < (if Conan isn't posting that month), that's LESS than the previous month. Likewise 10,000,000 > (because Conan is online this month) means that the number of posts this month is HIGHER than last month. Got it?

There are other more obvious statistics such as which days are busiest. If we have any new members and how many members have actually posted. I won't go into those as it's pretty clear.

How did you say you do it?
I didn't. But here's the breakdown:
Well, Basically what I do is print out everyone's post 5 times, and file them into each category. During each month, my team of highly trained ferrets goes through each stack to ensure that I have not made a mistake. This is then passed on to a robot called Geoff who then counts everything.

Since June 2010, the work has piled up into woolly mammoth proportions, and so the ferrets have put together a team-building video of them working out, with clips interspersed with the montage from Rocky (the first one) and 'Eye of the Tiger' playing in the background. They also take part in regular ferret racing around the county to keep themselves in tip-top form.

Agency badgers are recruited for independent adjudication, as well as a three-toed sloth for further validation and robot repairs. All this is adjudicated by a clerical cockatoo called Elvis.

Finally the results are returned to me. I ignore these, make the numbers up and post them here!

And that is everything about the MFP. Happy posting!

* Nobody seems to know where Freaks is nowadays, and I'm not sure if they carried on doing the MFP stats anyway

Re: How the MFP Stats Work

Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:05 pm

:lol:

I would vote you as a funny poster. And...that sounds like quite a bit of work, so thanks again for it.
I did not know what NG stood for! And now I do.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:11 pm

Thanx Max, well done again.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:49 pm

Thanks Max. Now we can realise what you and the ferrets have to do regarding the MFP!

Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:01 pm

Lord Maxpower, you forgot to mention why the original Freaks MFP list were created :)

Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:07 pm

You're right. I've got to think of a way to do it without using the words 'geek', 'anorak', 'saddo', or 'no mates' :D

I'm sure that I'll work something out...

Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:23 pm

MaxPower wrote:You're right. I've got to think of a way to do it without using the words 'geek', 'anorak', 'saddo', or 'no mates' :D

I'm sure that I'll work something out...

I'm sure we posted a version of Itchy's explanation when we first introduced the stats to the forum

Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:38 pm

Great job MP :)

Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:01 pm

Brilliant work MP and all involved, to get those results out so quickly! Cheers! :D

Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:36 pm

Thanks MP, keep up the good work. :D
Next

Full Version