Kudos and slaps, ask for help with any forum problems or questions

Re: Time For Change

Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:35 pm

:)

It's coming. It turned out to be more difficult to move the posts over than I thought.

The big question is do I put more effort into migrating these posts to the new forum, or just start again and lock this forum for historical purposes :o?

Anyway, I've got a bit of time this weekend. Maybe I might have some inspiration to get it done.

As it happens, the new forum is already running and seems to be OK - but the existing site is the sticking point.

It's like trying to re-sole your comfy shoes with a bit of super glue and a fresh kipper.

Well, something like that anyway ;)

Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:37 am

JohnSReid wrote::)

It's coming. It turned out to be more difficult to move the posts over than I thought.

The big question is do I put more effort into migrating these posts to the new forum, or just start again and lock this forum for historical purposes :o?

Anyway, I've got a bit of time this weekend. Maybe I might have some inspiration to get it done.

As it happens, the new forum is already running and seems to be OK - but the existing site is the sticking point.

It's like trying to re-sole your comfy shoes with a bit of super glue and a fresh kipper.

Well, something like that anyway ;)

I think quite a few of us look back in time. Arcade is always digging about in past posts as he has nothing better to do !!!! :lol:

Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:59 am

That's because he loves being retro so much.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:57 am

JohnSReid wrote:The big question is do I lock this forum for historical purposes :o? ;)

Not sure how I feel about becoming a museum piece... :o :shock: :lol:

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:58 am

I'd rather call it immortalised.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:27 pm

arcademannequin wrote:
Conan wrote:We need new members, and we need more of them to join in the banter.

What's stopping them? :? - I'd welcome anyone joining in. - Unfortunately, as has been stated every few months when this subject is brought up, most people use Facebook and Twitter for banter nowadays and Forums have become old-hat. - Sad but true. :(

nail - head - struck.

;)

Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:36 pm

docbob wrote:
arcademannequin wrote:
Conan wrote:We need new members, and we need more of them to join in the banter.

What's stopping them? :? - I'd welcome anyone joining in. - Unfortunately, as has been stated every few months when this subject is brought up, most people use Facebook and Twitter for banter nowadays and Forums have become old-hat. - Sad but true. :(

nail - head - struck.

;)

I have to say that a Forum should be used for discussion and we seem to have very little discussion on here nowadays.
Its fun to drop in occasionally and play a few games and say what we are listening to and eating but that is hardly in depth discussion.

And when one of us occasionally tries to introduce an interesting topic for discussion very few of us actually take part. Discussion, opinion and even arguments are healthy.

I dont think that FB or even Twitter are the places for in depth discussion as it gets read by all sorts of people that you may not want to read it !

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:50 pm

Teddynonose wrote:And when one of us occasionally tries to introduce an interesting topic for discussion very few of us actually take part. Discussion, opinion and even arguments are healthy.

I like very much to read those topics but being so handicapped in writing my thoughts in fluent English, I often leave them to myself. I get often frustrated when I start to write a reply but realise that I can't find the words I'd like to. So please keep posting those though for example I find myself often staring at the keyboard not knowing what to type. :D

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:40 pm

Lauri wrote:
Teddynonose wrote:And when one of us occasionally tries to introduce an interesting topic for discussion very few of us actually take part. Discussion, opinion and even arguments are healthy.

I like very much to read those topics but being so handicapped in writing my thoughts in fluent English, I often leave them to myself. I get often frustrated when I start to write a reply but realise that I can't find the words I'd like to. So please keep posting those though for example I find myself often staring at the keyboard not knowing what to type. :D

Lauri, your English is very good .... unlike my Finnish which is non-existent

Where is Arcade at the moment ? Is he on holiday ?

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:09 am

Twitter is definitely not the place for in-depth discussion but usually leads to other places where discussions are taking place.

But that's what I've been working on. Nearly there.

As mentioned, I'm not going to be able to take the existing stuff alone for better or worse but it should engage with fans better. Either through email or social networks.

There will also be no more need to sign up, which relives boundaries for those that just want to dip in.

And I'm all up for intellectual discussion :)
Next

Full Version