F-era only, otherwise topics must be started in 'Other bands and gigs'

Re: First time you saw Fish/Marillion live?

Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Reading Festival 1983. The gig used in the Early Stages boxset.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:59 pm

Hi all

I first saw Fish in 1979/1980 when Silmarillion did a series of Monday night gigs at the Horn of Plenty in St Albans.

If I remember correctly, a local band called Clientelle used to do the Mondays (incidentally ... Clientelle did a on-off reunion gig at the Horn that I attended about 10 years ago, sadly not long before the death of their lead guitarist, Rik) ... then, one week, here was Silmarillion.

Fish occasionally used to chat with me before the gig started and, of course, encouraged me to bring more potential fans with me, to which I duly obliged.

Fish was also much more expressive back in those days !!

I saw Marillion again as support for ZZ Top at Castle Donnington ... that must be 1985.

My mother loved the music of Marillion and the lyrics of Fish and so I took her to see Marillion at Hammersmith Odeon during their Misplaced Tour (1985 or 1986?) ... I bought her one of those Black & White sweatshirts that she wore proudly until she died in 1987.

Fish's work had a remarkable impact on my Mother and her poetry and probably kept her alive for a couple more years.

What with family and geographical issues, I have not seen Fish live since but have seen him doing solos on TV ... I do believe I saw him once again briefly in the Blacksmith's Arms in St Albans when I took a trip back there to check out 'Memory Lane' in the 1990's.

I have most of the Marillion albums, but not much Fish ... so I am now listening to the 'Feast of Consequences' ... very good, although it took me 3 days to convert the FLAC files (my mistake!!).

As a consequence (!) I am checking my diary to see if I can get to see him for the first time in (30?) years maybe in Sheffield or Holmfirth.

But I wonder if Fish would ever do a gig at the Horn of Plenty again? ... I know a few that would go and it's a nice cosy place that has barely changed in 40 years.

The late 70's and early 80's was a wonderful time for me ... I am always keen to go back ... smile.

Regards

Paul

Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:09 pm

paultallet wrote:...
As a consequence (!) I am checking my diary to see if I can get to see him for the first time in (30?) years maybe in Sheffield or Holmfirth.

But I wonder if Fish would ever do a gig at the Horn of Plenty again? ... I know a few that would go and it's a nice cosy place that has barely changed in 40 years.

The late 70's and early 80's was a wonderful time for me ... I am always keen to go back ... smile.

Regards

Paul

Paul, you are welcome in Sheffiled!! :)

Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:47 am

paultallet wrote:Hi all

I first saw Fish in 1979/1980 when Silmarillion did a series of Monday night gigs at the Horn of Plenty in St Albans.

If I remember correctly, a local band called Clientelle used to do the Mondays (incidentally ... Clientelle did a on-off reunion gig at the Horn that I attended about 10 years ago, sadly not long before the death of their lead guitarist, Rik) ... then, one week, here was Silmarillion.

Fish occasionally used to chat with me before the gig started and, of course, encouraged me to bring more potential fans with me, to which I duly obliged.

I saw Marillion again as support for ZZ Top at Castle Donnington ... that must be 1985.

My mother loved the music of Marillion and the lyrics of Fish and so I took her to see Marillion at Hammersmith Odeon during their Misplaced Tour (1985 or 1986?) ... I bought her one of those Black & White sweatshirts that she wore proudly until she died in 1987.

Fish's work had a remarkable impact on my Mother and her poetry and probably kept her alive for a couple more years.

What with family and geographical issues, I have not seen Fish live since but have seen him doing solos on TV ... I do believe I saw him once again briefly in the Blacksmith's Arms in St Albans when I took a trip back there to check out 'Memory Lane' in the 1990's.

I have most of the Marillion albums, but not much Fish ... so I am now listening to the 'Feast of Consequences' ... very good, although it took me 3 days to convert the FLAC files (my mistake!!).

Regards

Paul

Excellent post Paul! :D .....and welcome to the Forum! - Hope you make a future gig! ;)

Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:13 am

paultallet wrote:Hi all

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul, Great Post! Good to hear a memorable story of days gone by :)

If you get the chance definitely go to one of the gigs you wont be disappointed :D Welcome to the Forum and The Company :D

Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:17 pm

Thank you all of you.

I will be coming to one of those gigs ... I have some gaps to fill.

Now ... Sheffield or Holmfirth ... or both?!?

The Feast of Consequences is growing on me ... perhaps it will be consequential.

Perhaps I will get my son to drive me there ... and have a little tipple.

Smiling

Paul

Full Version