F-era only, otherwise topics must be started in 'Other bands and gigs'

Re: Fugazi

Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:55 pm

Filthy The Dog wrote:To me, Fugazi is the "Empire Strikes Back" of the Fish-era Marillion albums. Dark and powerful and a favourite amongst those who appreciate the wordiness of it. I initially struggled with "Script..." but Fugazi was the album that fully converted me. I have to say though, somewhat controversially, that the title track is one of my least favoured Marillion songs.

One lasting memory I have, is bringing it home and playing it in the living room when I was a teenager (14?) and reading the lyrics as the record played. I realised with shock, almost too late, the "Was it just a fuck..." lines of She Chameleon were looming just as my mother walked into the room. A well placed cough followed by inane conversation saved her tutting and questioning why I was buying music with "foul language" and the embarrassment on both parts that would have followed.

Nowadays, I don't have a least favourite. Over time, I've come to adore "Script..." and all four Fish-era albums have formed the soundtrack to my life at various points and individual songs still bear relevance to my ongoing relationships and emotions. Maybe "The Thieving Magpie" doesn't take as much of a spin on my turntable as the others; I find it strangely disjointed, perhaps a little like the band at the time of its release.

I have to say that Assassing is possibly my favourite Marillion track.
I was at University when it was released. I took it back to my student house and played it non stop. Even my house mates who didnt like Marillion loved Assassing.

Re: Fugazi

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:01 am

Steve's guitar solo in Assassing still sends shivers down my spine.

Jigsaw rates as perhaps one of my favourite Fish lyrics of all time and Cinderella Search, despite not being on the album, is in my top three Marillion songs of all time.

Full Version