F-era only, otherwise topics must be started in 'Other bands and gigs'

"sit and chew on daffodils"

Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:29 pm

OK, what the heck does that line mean???? I LOVE that part of the song but it bugs me everytime I hear that line. Seems like I heard one time that it had to do with an incident where Fish got drunk and began eating daffodils, and it's included in the song to represent madness and despair??? ???

Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:58 pm

Here is the answer:

"‘Chew on daffodils’
(This is a most peculiar image. It is so strange that I am sure there must be some specific genus for the phrase, but I am unable to find anything except the following in Brewer’s. -Ed)

‘Legend says that the daffodil was once white, but Persephone, who had wreathed her head with them and fallen asleep in the meadow, was captured by Pluto and carried off in his chariot. She let fall some of the lilies and they turned to a golden yellow. Theophilus and Pliny tell us that they grow on the banks of Acheron’ (a river similar to the Styx, across which the dead must pass to reach the underworld, Elysium) ‘and the spirits of the dead delight in the flower, called by them the Asphodel. ’"

More of that:

http://marillion.ter-steege.com/lyrics.htm

Cheers,
George

Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:42 pm

I remember hearing Fish and his girlfirend were sitting at a restaurant table with daffodils on the top.
Fish got somehow pissed and started crying, yelling and then to achieve bigger theatrical effect he started to chew the daffodils.

Re: "sit and chew on daffodils"

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:17 am

Don't you just love some of these old threads? - They don't make 'em like this anymore! ;) :)

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:01 am

arcademannequin wrote:Don't you just love some of these old threads? - They don't make 'em like this anymore! ;) :)

Where on earth did you drag that one up from at 1am?!?! :o :lol:

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:07 am

arcademannequin wrote:Don't you just love some of these old threads? - They don't make 'em like this anymore! ;) :)

What's also quite sad is to see how many members who were very active a few years ago have disappeared. Shame. I wonder why?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:18 am

Conan wrote:

What's also quite sad is to see how many members who were very active a few years ago have disappeared. Shame. I wonder why?

Facebook

Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:30 pm

Sadly, that is true ,in my case . And it is sad, used to love this forum.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:08 pm

mar wrote:Sadly, that is true ,in my case . And it is sad, used to love this forum.

What do you mean, "used" to love this forum? Don't you love us anymore, Mar?

I use Facebook every day, but I only post here. (and even then, we all know I am mostly a lurker)

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:56 pm

jarsis wrote:
mar wrote:Sadly, that is true ,in my case . And it is sad, used to love this forum.

What do you mean, "used" to love this forum? Don't you love us anymore, Mar?

I use Facebook every day, but I only post here. (and even then, we all know I am mostly a lurker)

A very valued lurker! ;) :)
Next

Full Version