F-era only, otherwise topics must be started in 'Other bands and gigs'

Re: "sit and chew on daffodils"

Mon May 21, 2012 7:52 pm

Not knowing what exactly could be meant by this phrase perfectly ties in with the following notion of struggling to answer why, maybe sit and chew on daffodils is as mysterious an occupation as having tocome to terms with what happened between two people in a relationship. That is probably as precise as poetry gets. At least for me, fish nailed that one...

Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:23 pm

brother73 wrote:OK, what the heck does that line mean???? I LOVE that part of the song but it bugs me everytime I hear that line. Seems like I heard one time that it had to do with an incident where Fish got drunk and began eating daffodils, and it's included in the song to represent madness and despair??? ???

i wouldnt even be sure Fish knows, as the next line is "and struggled to answer why..." :lol:

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:04 am

Hiya, first post so please be gentle with me…

As a bit of long time lurker on the forum, I’ve kind of found myself drawn back to this post – hopefully it is something I might be able to offer to offer some help with!

Without getting too over 'obsessive' on the lyrical front :-) – over the years I’ve always put that down to Fish’s time in Cambridge. As a Cambridge chap myself, though much younger – I always recalled that the poems of E.E. Cummings became super-fashionable with many college girls at Cambridge - at about the time the Fish and Diz were, I think, in Cambridge – particularly with the English faculty girls from Newnham - at exactly the same time that me and few mates desperately tried chat to chat these girls up too! - Though I was far too young to make too much of an impression with them, as an eventual English grad myself - I do always recall thinking that the line might have, kind of – been ‘inspired’ or otherwise ‘sunk in’ from the Cummings stuff I heard from around that time – I certainly recall having a poem called “The time of Daffodils” being quoted to me, and another that said something (apologies if I recall incorrectly!) along the lines about “eat flowers and do not to be afraid”

(but then again what do I know!)...

Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:18 pm

^ Interesting insight, Mark. And who knows, that could have been an influence!

Mon May 13, 2013 4:02 pm

Not sure if this helps or hinders.. ;) In the steve harley and cockney rebel song 'Cavaliers' the lyric speaks of "being hooked on absinthe and daffodils"

;)

Full Version