F-era only, otherwise topics must be started in 'Other bands and gigs'

Tux On

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:36 am

Quick one - has Tux On ever been played live?

Re: Tux On

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:50 pm

I'm not entirely sure but I'm pretty sure it hasn't. It was rehearsed for the Suits tour? But it never came to light. I could be wrong though...Best wait for someone more authoritative to comment

Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:30 pm

Ed's right, never played with Marillion and Fish did try to work up a version but I think his words were 'they couldn't get the groove'.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:10 am

Thanks for those - I couldn't find any record of it being played and was just wondering :)

Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:35 am

Does anyone else think tux on is a gem? i think its atmosphere is perfect, i just love it when the song changes gear at 2:35 and the guitar solo (as usual) is fab...an underrated song if ever there was one...

Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:47 am

Too true, it's a cracking song despite not being your average 'belter'.

It's even weider when you're listening to it in the car and the engine rumble eats up a lot of the frequencies in that early section. It makes it sound like a completely different song.

I would definitely vote for this one to be played live if the could get it to work.

Maybe the acoustic format would suit it on the next leg of the Fishheads Club?

Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:53 am

Tux on is a special one, because it is the only Marillion song played with a muted snare drum in the beginning. The drums sound like a computer file, which is unusual for Ian Mosley drumming. Later on Fish uses sounds like these. But F-era Marillion never had anything else than an acoustic drumming exept on Tux on.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:40 pm

peter0027 wrote:Tux on is a special one, because it is the only Marillion song played with a muted snare drum in the beginning. The drums sound like a computer file, which is unusual for Ian Mosley drumming. Later on Fish uses sounds like these. But F-era Marillion never had anything else than an acoustic drumming exept on Tux on.

I thought it was Lady Nina that featured the drum machine? :?

Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:53 pm

Conan wrote:
peter0027 wrote:Tux on is a special one, because it is the only Marillion song played with a muted snare drum in the beginning. The drums sound like a computer file, which is unusual for Ian Mosley drumming. Later on Fish uses sounds like these. But F-era Marillion never had anything else than an acoustic drumming exept on Tux on.

I thought it was Lady Nina that featured the drum machine? :?

Ooops. You're damned right...

My fault. I had Lady Nina in mind.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:10 pm

I seem to recall that Lady Nina is all Drum Machine whereas Tux On starts with a drum machine and ends with real drums.
I think Ian mixed in some drum pads on various bits of CaS too, he certainly used them for rehearsals and I'm pretty sure he used them for some TV appearances too.
Next

Full Version