F-era only, otherwise topics must be started in 'Other bands and gigs'

Clutching at Straws Tour.....

Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:20 pm

I went to see Marillion at Birmingham NEC on 22/12/87 (when i was merely a youngster!). During the intro (Thieving Magpie) there was a curtain over the front of the stage, on which there was artwork similar to the 1986 Summer Garden Party Tour but with a Christmas theme - (as i remember!). Does anyone have a photo of this or has seen one anywhere on the internet?
p.s. i still rate that show as one of the best that i ever went to.

Cheers - Mike

Re: Clutching at Straws Tour.....

Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:57 pm

It wasnt one of these from the Farewell to 83 tour programme that they might have used was it ??

http://www.morain.de/Marillion/05Setlis ... ptFarewell

Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:13 am

Was it this

Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:37 pm

I don't remember a Christmas themed Jester other than this: http://www.the-masque.com/marilliontour1.html

I only did one set of curtains and that was the Script Jester half of which was completed for the Reading fest, and later I did complete the other half:) The only other Christmas theme was the one Tosh sent.

M

Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:43 pm

jesterhud wrote:It wasnt one of these from the Farewell to 83 tour programme that they might have used was it ??

Hmm my link doesnt take you straight to the pic i wanted, try again below, if not its in the Farewell to 83 tour programme that is linked to from that page, but its the same jester as in the post above anyway.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:31 pm

The CAS t shirt for the Christmas tour had a holly wreath & snow on the back , is this the same as the curtain. Will try later to post a pic as I still have the original t shirt( a wee bit threadbare tho!!!) :D :D

Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:30 pm

Thanks for all of your help people - unfortunately it isn't any of those. I remember at the time thinking that it was very similar to the Summer '86 artwork (drummer boy at the bottom, tent in the middle and jester at the top) but it was a Christmas/Winter scene. I have never seen this since (and my memory is pretty good!), thanks again and happy 2011!

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:04 pm

Herne The Hunter wrote:Thanks for all of your help people - unfortunately it isn't any of those. I remember at the time thinking that it was very similar to the Summer '86 artwork (drummer boy at the bottom, tent in the middle and jester at the top) but it was a Christmas/Winter scene. I have never seen this since (and my memory is pretty good!), thanks again and happy 2011!

at Edi playhouse there was no curtain as far as I can recall... I distinctly remember PT's red light from his active bass being very visible as they took to the darkened stage.....and they were the last 2/3 gigs of the tour apart from the NEC..
if Dekka can't help.. no-one can.... ;)

Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:06 pm

Thanks for your response docbob - for the gig in Brum the 'Thieving Magpie' intro was very long (i have since heard a 'ahem' recording - or illegal bootleg!) the one piece curtain was present throughout the intro and opening bars of Slainte Mhath, then removed to reveal the band. Excellant gig although i bet the Playhouse one was even better, as the NEC holds 12 - 13,000 people and feels like you are in a warehouse or hanger.

all the best

Mike

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:51 pm

I was at the NEC gig, I'm pretty sure there was a curtain but I'm buggered if I can remember what was on it!!!

I was also at the Playhouse one the night before and I'm sure they had a curtain up there as well, I had my camera with me and as the curtain dropped there was Fish standing center stage, arms held out crucifix style, I managed to rattle a couple of shots off before I had the camera confiscated and thrown out. I managed to get back into the gig and was put in one of the box's, got my camera back after the gig and the daft buggers never took the film out so I now have a poster size print of Fish in his harlequin suit adorning my wall, result :-)

Happy new year, I'm off out now to have a sweet sherry or two ;-) :-/
Next

Full Version