F-era only, otherwise topics must be started in 'Other bands and gigs'

Re: fish vs derek wiliam dick

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:07 am

Lady41 wrote:I don't understand? Even with the explanation, I still don't really understand the question :oops:

As far as i know Fish doesn't use Derek Dick for the personal stuff and Fish for the non personal stuff in his Music, not sure if that is what Montag is asking? I believe that he has always been Fish in his Music Career and uses Derek Dick for acting, not sure if he has been credited as Fish in previous acting parts!!!

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:20 am

The Assassing wrote:
Lady41 wrote:I don't understand? Even with the explanation, I still don't really understand the question :oops:

As far as i know Fish doesn't use Derek Dick for the personal stuff and Fish for the non personal stuff in his Music, not sure if that is what Montag is asking? I believe that he has always been Fish in his Music Career and uses Derek Dick for acting, not sure if he has been credited as Fish in previous acting parts!!!

Yes he has Graham actually, he was credited on the Ayreon cd where he plays the part of a highlander and appears on parts 2,5 and 6 of cd1(see fish discography on the home page) :)

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:45 am

At the end of the day, does it matter?! :?

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:37 am

I didn't mean to say it matters a great deal, but it must have mattered to Fish at the time - how many lyricists do you know who have done similar things? I just don't see any obvious shift in his lyrics from Fugazi to Misplaced Childhood.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:01 pm

So are we talking about how he's credited for the lyrics on the album?

Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:11 pm

mwelljester wrote:
The Assassing wrote:

Yes he has Graham actually, he was credited on the Ayreon cd where he plays the part of a highlander and appears on parts 2,5 and 6 of cd1(see fish discography on the home page) :)

Thanks Rab, I'm not familiar with the CD, I'll check it out!!! :)

Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:53 pm

Montag wrote:Originally i was happy with fish, as a nickname covers all the angles of a complex artistic personality and dwd as a real name the more authentic personal experiences. But i am not really happy with that any more since all of fish's lyrics seem very personal right from script onwards...any suggestions along these lines?

No disrespect to the man or his name but Derek William Dick doesn't quite have the same ring to it - if he were an actor, perhaps, but as a musician? I don't think so. Fish the artist can grow and develop, using personal experiences, thus changing 'tack', if it's appropriate and I don't think he has to revert to his 'real' name to do that.

His Fish persona will still change and develop, in much the same way as Derek William Dick, the man, does.

Fish himself, as an artist/musician/poet, (in my view) has to be "Fish" irrespective of whether what he's performing is personal or impersonal (although I don't believe anything he does is impersonal, whether it's about his own experience or not).

As an actor, I think he could use Derek William Dick and be just as successful in his own right, but where music is concerned, I think he has to be Fish, simply because that's who he is as a musician/poet.

Having read what I've just written, I'm not convinced I'm making much sense either, but I (think) I know what I mean. Whether I'm answering the question is another matter :? :oops: :lol:

Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:54 pm

I think Montag's question is actually about credits.

As in, why are tracks credited to Fish on one album but DWD on another.

Is that it?

Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:21 pm

JohnSReid wrote:I think Montag's question is actually about credits.

Is that it?

I'll shut up, then :blush: :tease:

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:20 pm

JohnSReid wrote:I think Montag's question is actually about credits.

Is that it?

Ahh, now I understand I think. ;) - Maybe the thread title was ill-used? :?

I don't actually believe that there is any great thinking or reasoning behind whether Fish credits his works with either name. - Perhaps we as fans read into these things too much? ;)
Next

Full Version