F-era only, otherwise topics must be started in 'Other bands and gigs'

Re: fish vs derek wiliam dick

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:24 am

Possibly, but that is part of the fun, isn't it?

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:49 am

arcademannequin wrote:
JohnSReid wrote:I think Montag's question is actually about credits.

As in, why are tracks credited to Fish on one album but DWD on another.

Is that it?

Ahh, now I understand I think. ;) - Maybe the thread title was ill-used? :?

I don't actually believe that there is any great thinking or reasoning behind whether Fish credits his works with either name. - Perhaps we as fans read into these things too much? ;)

It could be down to stuff such as Copyright etc!!!

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:57 am

Lady41 wrote:
Montag wrote:Originally i was happy with fish, as a nickname covers all the angles of a complex artistic personality and dwd as a real name the more authentic personal experiences. But i am not really happy with that any more since all of fish's lyrics seem very personal right from script onwards...any suggestions along these lines?

No disrespect to the man or his name but Derek William Dick doesn't quite have the same ring to it - if he were an actor, perhaps, but as a musician? I don't think so. Fish the artist can grow and develop, using personal experiences, thus changing 'tack', if it's appropriate and I don't think he has to revert to his 'real' name to do that.

His Fish persona will still change and develop, in much the same way as Derek William Dick, the man, does.

Fish himself, as an artist/musician/poet, (in my view) has to be "Fish" irrespective of whether what he's performing is personal or impersonal (although I don't believe anything he does is impersonal, whether it's about his own experience or not).

As an actor, I think he could use Derek William Dick and be just as successful in his own right, but where music is concerned, I think he has to be Fish, simply because that's who he is as a musician/poet.

Having read what I've just written, I'm not convinced I'm making much sense either, but I (think) I know what I mean. Whether I'm answering the question is another matter :? :oops: :lol:

Most people know him as Fish whatever he is doing and i agree that he puts everything into a song whether it's something from his own life or not.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:39 pm

Just to throw the cat among the pigeons, the lyrics on the original version of Clutching at Straws credits the lyrics to Fish AND Derek William Dick!! :shock: :o :lol:

But he introduces himself as "Derek".

Many artists have a "nom de plume". For example, one of my favourite artists (of the painting variety) is John Lowrie Morisson - aka JoLoMo! :P

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:43 pm

I guess that it is pretty much a copyright issue as well as needing a person's real name for certain things.

I doubt that Fish has sat down and thought "I think that these lyrics should be credited to me, but not *those* - that should be Fish."

Raises an interesting point about why it needs to be that way though.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:28 pm

Did fish stop painting his face roughly around the time when the name dw dick appeared on the record sleeves? That would be more than a coincidence i suppose...

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:40 am

The question is quite interesting.
I do vaguely remember there being a time when Fish felt that he wanted people to know his real name.

It would be interesting to see how other famous musicians known by their pseudonyms show their credits on their songs eg Sting, Bono, The Edge, Slash, Elton John, Freddie Mercury, Elvis Costello, Bob Dylan, Boy George....

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:05 pm

Teddynonose wrote:The question is quite interesting.
I do vaguely remember there being a time when Fish felt that he wanted people to know his real name.

It would be interesting to see how other famous musicians known by their pseudonyms show their credits on their songs eg Sting, Bono, The Edge, Slash, Elton John, Freddie Mercury, Elvis Costello, Bob Dylan, Boy George....

I had no idea that that wasn't Bob Dylan's real name, though having just googled for his real name I can fully understand why he changed it! ;)

I do know that Costello credits an awful lot of his songs to MacManus. - I think he sees Elvis Costello as being his stage/performing persona.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Montag wrote:Did fish stop painting his face roughly around the time when the name dw dick appeared on the record sleeves? That would be more than a coincidence i suppose...

No, He stopped painting his face after the Real to Reel tour with Marillion(1984) 1985 saw him clean shaven or bearded when the MC tour with Marillion (1985/86) took off, and as for the album covers of MC and CAS, he was still being atributed as Fish. :)

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:07 pm

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. are you :? :? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: . as the question is :oops: :lol: :evil: as the Fish/Derek are one and the same man.
maybe be Fish seem this as two persons. as within his song writing modes. as on straws. Fish wrote this or Derek wrote that. but the vs!. there isn`t one.
otherwise I`ll be two persons as friends call me. geekfreak/JTR. :jester: :king2: :tease: :mexwave: :mexwave:
so have a merry Christmas and a great new year.
Next

Full Version