F-era only, otherwise topics must be started in 'Other bands and gigs'

Forgotten sons monk-like chant

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:19 am

Have you read the liner notes on the Script remastered CD?

"As we multi-tracked the voices giving us the immense monk like chant, the booth which was buried in the cellars of the Marquee offices went icy cold and a tangible presence entered the room. Everyone freaked and something happened to the tape which now contain noises other than those recorded. The Marquee Studios are built on top of an old plague pit where hundreds of bodies are supposedly buried. It took me a while to go back into the booth."

It's a great story. The song already has power without the anecdote.

Personally, I got into Marillion when I was - ironically - living in a bedsit.
I was sitting on my bed around 3pm, listening to Script for maybe the 10th time ever - Forgotten Sons I was up to - and as the monk chant was happening the weirdest thing happened. Outside, the skies grew dark, really dark and quiet like just before a massive storm. It wasn't one of those storms where you can see it coming slowly. It was one minute sunshine, next minute, the darkest creepiest quickest change I've ever experienced.

Now I'm sure it had nothing to do with the song, but at the time it was powerful stuff. And I know it was powerful because I can remember it so vividly.

Does anyone else have any little stories like that?

Does this song scare your kids? I still get goosebumps listening to Fishillion tunes and lyrics. That's what music is all about. Hair standing up on the back of your neck.

Re: Forgotten sons monk-like chant

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:59 am

Cant actually say that i have been scared or had weird happenings going on when listening to Fish/Marillion music. Although i definitely had the Goosebumps and Hair standing on the back of my neck when the first chords of GRENDEL pumped out for the first time in 30yrs at the Convention back in october.

That was something else! Yes whatever way you want to put it, the Hall shook, and the earth shuddered, well it did for me :D

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:57 am

Oh that's cool motherwell! That must be 10X as good with a live band and a crowd! One day I may too experience this 'convention' for myself, live!
But alas I live so far away! All I have is the recorded muse to heighten my senses :( ah it's not that bad :)

So many songs have given me that unbelievable goosepimple feeling (often more than once)
Just off the top of my head:

- The (one of many) changes in Grendel where the keyboard sets the mood for "Hounds freeze in silence bewitched by the reptile spell..."
- Fade in intro to Garden Party.
- "Goodbye Judy!"
- In Real to Reel when Fish says in Market Square Heroes "And this is where we really go for it"
- Sunset Hill chorus
- From "son watches father scan obituary columns..." onwards. The twin guitar after the effect of the famous "Fugazi moment" is sublime.
- Vigil "is the deadliest weapon, that is truth."
- Fish blowing his head off in Recital of the Script. Pretty much all of that concert is gold. (I wonder where that kid Fish slashes up in Grendel is these days??)
- "This is the story so far"
- Mosely has a little flutter of toms before the solo in Warm Wet Circles.
- "Bridges are burning, burning, NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!!!"

Oh there are so many. All this from a voice and a couple of instruments and studio effects.
And I'm only a bloody rookie, I only own Vigil from his solo work (the shame the shame!)

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:49 am

I just read Fish's epic blog on the 2012 convention that you attended mwelljester, where he mentions Grendel in detail. Great read!

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:47 pm

Re goosepimple feeling :
Expresso bongo when the drums kick in
Childhood's end guitar bass keyboard sound heaven before fish starts to sing
For starters....

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:43 am

I have got a sort of creepy tale to tell...about Script...
Back in the day newly released records were put up in the shop window of my hometown record shop using, barbarically, three pins that pierced the covers. It was just my luck that when I bought Script I got the pierced cover from the shop window, but I got used to it and came to see the marks as something of a trademark on my sleeve.
Jump in time to the double cd re-release of Script...It came in wrapped in plastic and everything but when I took out the booklet - guess what - there were three marks almost identical to the ones on my old vinyl, somewhat mysteriously caused by I don't know what exactly, but the marks were pushed through the entire booklet, page by page, without leaving holes, just glue marks or whatever...
Seems like the monks still had some unfinished business...

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:39 pm

Lord wrote:I just read Fish's epic blog on the 2012 convention that you attended mwelljester, where he mentions Grendel in detail. Great read!

You need to order the Convention DVD/CD from the shop, if you haven't already Lord! - The gigs were freaking awesome! I swear grown men were in tears when Grendel kicked-off. ;) :lol:

Haven't really got any creepy tales concerning Marillion/Fish music, though I do often get the old shivers down the spine when I'm listening to certain tracks. Just associate so many of those songs/lyrics with particular moments in my life and listening to them now often takes me back to a very distinct place. The nearest I'll get to outer-body experience.

Full Version