F-era only, otherwise topics must be started in 'Other bands and gigs'

Script 30th Anniversary

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:49 am

Today (March 14th) marks the 30th anniversary of Marillion's debut album "Script For A Jesters Tear"

I remember bunking of school early (some ficticious medical appointment, it was a Monday) :oops: ;) legging it down to my local record shop to buy it, can remember like it was yesterday placing the vinyl on the turntable to hear the opening line - "So Here I Am Once More" :D like then and still to this day I got that hair on the back of my neck feeling listening to the title track and spending the afternoon and the rest of that week listening to the album over and over again.....

It is my Favourite album ever recorded, and one that I have never got bored of, but that's just my taste... 8-)

What are your memories of when you bought it, or you first heard it ????

Re: Script 30th Anniversary

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:22 am

Remember the first time I listen to Sript , I was sitting in my mates, ( stevie blades ex Excalibur guitarist) we were 15 yrs old. Just remember being blown away by Fish's voice and lyrics ( scottish :D ) and Steve rothery's awesome guitar playing :D

I was in heaven, absolute brilliance :D :D Didn't even need to worry about scraping money together for the album, stevie gave me his, thanks mate!

I am losing on swings, iam losing on the roundabouts....... 8-) indeed I am listening to that very vinyl just now!
Watching it go round and round like I did back then........ :D :D :D

Ah! the Memories of yesteryear!

Thank you Fish,Steve,Mick,Pete,Mark...........

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:35 pm

I bought Script on the day of release. It was one of the most anticipated days of my life up to that point.
The band I had nurtured and cherished were releasing their first album.
I cant remember where I bought it. For some reason I remember poring over it on a train, picking out all the images and references on the cover.
I was not disappointed. The sleeve was instantly iconic and for the first time i could read all the lyrics of the songs I knew so well.
There was just one song that I didnt know and that was the title track.

So when I got home I was desperate to hear it and I remember that as soon as I put the needle on the vinyl my hairs literally stood up on end ..."Well here I am once more.."
I was so proud of that album. it vindicated all the time and effort spent following them to that point.

It was given 5 stars in Sounds. And to me it was perfect. I cannot think of a better debut album. It took many bands 3 or 4 albums to get in their stride and here Marillion did it with their first album.
To this day the album cover is framed on my wall.
So glad Marillion played Script in Holland at the weekend. Rothery, Kelly, Trewavas, Moseley and Hogarth performed it brilliantly.

Congratulations to Fish and the band.

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:39 pm

I don't remember when I first heard it, or when I bought it :oops:

>>> scoots back to midlife crisis thread >>>>>

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:59 pm

I too don't remember exactly when I first heard Script, as I acquired those Marillion albums in a backwards kind of way, and not chronologically. - I do remember being surprised by it, as to my ears then it seemed quite far removed from Misplaced Childhood. - I did fall in love with it immediately though, completely losing myself in all the imagery. - I loved, and still do love it for the honesty of its lyrics, and it's brilliant musicianship. To this day, it still sounds like nothing I have ever heard before by another band, including Genesis! :x - Without doubt a perfect debut album. One that has stayed with me and only gets better with age. - Deepest gratitude to Fish and the lads!

Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:17 pm

Gotta love the Script.

First heard on the back of a C90 - Misplaced Childhood on the other. I loved that tape.

And the title track still stands out as one of the all-time classics. Every time I listen to it, an old friend greets me again: "So here I am once more..."

Beautiful.

And I did get to cheekily sing it on stage at Lemmers ;)

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:11 pm

JohnSReid wrote:Gotta love the Script.

First heard on the back of a C90 - Misplaced Childhood on the other. I loved that tape.

And the title track still stands out as one of the all-time classics. Every time I listen to it, an old friend greets me again: "So here I am once more..."

Beautiful.

And I did get to cheekily sing it on stage at Lemmers ;)

I don't remember seeing you on stage. :? - Were you hiding behind Frank? :? ;)

Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:14 pm

It was a brief appearance when I announced the Fish Hunt winners. I decided to have a little tease by singing the opening to Script and then joked that if I sang beyond the first line I'd have to pay royalties.

That, and I couldn't risk people asking for their money back after listening to me sing!

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:03 pm

Apologies if folks have already seen this, but Fish posted it on Facebook as a "work in progress" from the Leamington convention.

Quote:
""So Here I am Once More" right enough! :-)

This is the work in progress by director Russell Cherrington. It's still being polished and the sound is from camera only with the Calum Malcolm multi track mix not yet laid on. A fantastic night and brilliantly captured :-) ""

Last edited by Lady41 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:08 pm

......Absolute class Sharon!!!! :D :D - Listen to us all sing!! - This is going to be one hell of a DVD!
Next

Full Version