Heres the place to talk about Fish in general

Re: The Thirteenth Star

Wed May 09, 2012 10:30 am

Just been on "Amazing" to buy some cheap bits and bobs [NOT Fish stuff..], and decided to check just what is on there for Fish [even though I have all the CDs already, I'm just nosey].

What confused me was that there are 2 entries for "Thirteenth Star" - one with the 'Star' album cover and another entry showing the image of the ship sailing in the stormy sea.

My question is: Were there 2 different sets of artwork for this album, as both entries show the items as "Audio CD: 2008"?

Strangely enough, both CDs have the same set of reviews, but only the entry for the 'Star' CD has the track listing...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Stella

Wed May 09, 2012 1:38 pm

The ship scene is on the gatefold CD cover, and the "Star" image is on the cardboard sleeve that slips over it...

Wed May 09, 2012 2:25 pm

Conan wrote:The ship scene is on the gatefold CD cover, and the "Star" image is on the cardboard sleeve that slips over it...

Thanks for clearing that up - I do have "13th Star" but thought it was strange of Amazing to show 2 different 'album covers' on their website as 2 different items, rather than show the two pictures as artwork for one item. Clearly, a future in Marketing is unlikely for me.... :roll:

Stella

Wed May 09, 2012 3:23 pm

RavenGirl wrote:
Conan wrote:The ship scene is on the gatefold CD cover, and the "Star" image is on the cardboard sleeve that slips over it...

Thanks for clearing that up - I do have "13th Star" but thought it was strange of Amazing to show 2 different 'album covers' on their website as 2 different items, rather than show the two pictures as artwork for one item. Clearly, a future in Marketing is unlikely for me.... :roll:

Stella

Of course you could buy it directly from the Fish shop....

Wed May 09, 2012 7:27 pm

Worth buying the vinyl for the artwork alone

Fri May 11, 2012 9:22 am

docbob wrote:
RavenGirl wrote:

Stella

Of course you could buy it directly from the Fish shop....

As I said in my original post and reply, I wasn't buying the CD - I already have it - but was just curious to see what there was for Fish on the Amazing website and the two separate entries confused me....

Fri May 11, 2012 12:44 pm

RavenGirl wrote:

Stella

i have noticed this a few times with different artists and sellers, clearly the person in question shows a different picture of the same album to attract more buyers/bidders without breaching any regulations as they have still listed the same album contents. :)

Fri May 11, 2012 1:22 pm

And I thought it was because they couldn't the difference! :)

Mon May 14, 2012 9:20 am

I haven't been able to listen to this album for a long, long time - just too raw and painfully touching a nerve and all that, but last week, I got it off the shelf and had another listen.

What an album - just awesomely accurate and to the point in describing the alienation, loneliness and pain of lost love, lost direction and vague hope.... it's still a tough listen, but I am able to do so without breaking down these days.

Ironically, Ian Anderson's latest "Thick As A Brick 2" has the same effect - the lyrics are just too close to home on some tracks, I have to turn it off and put it back on the shelf and not think too much about the message which is, again, the pain of alienation, lost deams, failed ambition and the curse of late middle age with nowhere else to go, no way of turning back and taking the other path at that fork in the road all those years ago.

"13th Star" is, in my very humble opinion, one of Fish's best works, just an awesome achievement of lyrics and music and whenever I listen to it [which is around 4 times now in just over a week], I can only begin to imagine Fish's state of mind when he put it all together. Happily, life seems brighter for Fish these days, but "13th Star" flags up once again that, for me, Fish is one of those rare creatures who can write with his heart firmly on his sleeve but not sound mawkish or mired in self-pity; He sounds confused, unhappy, lonely and in despair at times but it never comes across as "me, me, me" writing, rather Himself just trying to figure out where it all went wrong, how he can put it right, whether there is anything to put right or whether it is better to just walk away, accepting that you cannot please everyone and therefore should focus on keeping your soul intact, self-respect strong and your resolve firmly in place.

Thank You Fish - for everything you do, have done and will continue to do to shine another light in this World; it DOES matter, You DO matter, and I am so thankful that I can continue to love your music after all this time.

Stella

Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:49 pm

I listened to 13th Star on my way home last night. Very loud as I drove into the sunset.

I still think that its Fish's strongest album
Its a very powerful and coherent album.
The first 8 tracks flow beautifully and are all very strong. Its almost a shame that it doesnt climax with Dark Star as the following two tracks dont have the same power so it finishes on a bit of a whimper.

And that led me to thinking that its a much stronger album than Feast.
Thats probably because I prefer Fish when he's angry about the world and failed relationships like he also is on Fugazi. And when he rocks on 13th Star he definitely rocks.

I realise that he wanted to simplify things musically for Feast and he succeeded however I prefer my Fish overdosed on venom and passion !
I admire Feast lyrically and for its content but musically it doesn't really do it for me like 13th Star does.

Just my opinion ;)
Next

Full Version