Heres the place to talk about Fish in general

Gig photos for the web site

Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:59 pm

Thanks, Mo. That was very helpful. I would definitely check with the venue first because, like your friend, I would not let anyone take my camera from me even temporarily. As for a tripod, I have one that I use in certain situations, but would never consider trying to use it in a crowd at a show, especially since it limits my mobility. And as for flashes, I hate them and only use them when absolutely necessary. Because live shows tend to have good ambient lighting and stage lighting, I would definitely be more dependent on manual settings like ISO, shutter speed and F-stop to get a good exposure rather then use a flash. My flash has a very short range, anyway.

It'll be a while before I find out whether I can get pictures of Fish, though, as it seems he won't be coming to North America anytime soon. And, I know from experience, almost all concert venues in the US ban cameras and other recording devices.

Thanks for the information. It was quite helpful.

Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:13 pm

And as for flashes, I hate them and only use them when absolutely necessary. Because live shows tend to have good ambient lighting and stage lighting, I would definitely be more dependent on manual settings like ISO, shutter speed and F-stop to get a good exposure rather then use a flash. My flash has a very short range, anyway.

It's surprising how few people realise that you often get a better photo without flash! The mood is captured much more effectively, and you don't get the light reflected back off the head in front of you.

Thanks for the information.

You're welcome!

Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:11 pm

I've checked with the venues in Mainz and Aschaffenburg (Germany) before the gigs (emails) and got the written confirmation that photos would be ok.
Then I've sent an inquiry to Crewe and they also say "no problem" ;D

I think it is better to check beforehand. I've seen a lot of people with standard digital cameras, only a few mobile phone cams.
In Germany nobody asked about cams when entering the venues (I was at four gigs)

:-/

Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:09 pm

And as for flashes, I hate them and only use them when absolutely necessary. Because live shows tend to have good ambient lighting and stage lighting, I would definitely be more dependent on manual settings like ISO, shutter speed and F-stop to get a good exposure rather then use a flash. My flash has a very short range, anyway.

It's surprising how few people realise that you often get a better photo without flash! The mood is captured much more effectively, and you don't get the light reflected back off the head in front of you.

Thanks for the information.

You're welcome!

Not only that, but flashes tend to wash out color (which you definitely don't want at a concert) and cause red eye (red-eye reduction is a useless gimmick). I don't even allow my students to use the flash in class unless they're taking photographs in an area that's too dark for even the lowest F-stop.
Heike, glad to hear you can take a camera to the shows. In the US, they always search. One can usually sneak in a small camera that can be tucked into a loose pocket, but any bags and purses are searched, especially since 9-11...not that anyone's going to attack someone with a camera, but they check for more dangerous materials and tend to find the cameras in the process.
I would so love to photograph one of Fish's shows (or any show, actually). And I just realized that I do know two people who could probably get me a Press Pass if only he'd come to the US.

Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:21 pm

I was checked before the gig started and the lady found my camera (a little one) and she said it was ok.

By the way: Fish was so near to me (I was all in front of the stage) that he did see my camera - and smiled directely in the camera when I was filming him :-) so he did not seem to be disturbed by it.

And, of course, as I enjoyed the gig very much, I wasn't taking photos or filming all the time :-)

The short films I made are very special to me and I want to keep them for my own...
Last edited by swissfish on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:55 am

Yeah, he was posing away in Leeds for my mate's niece which was nice.

Would love to shoot him with my 'proper' camera someday. We shall see.....

Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:54 am

Love the new look front page on 13thstar.com..

Ender's crackingly great photo of Fish pointing to the 13th Star...

the whole front page is much less cluttered and a real landing page for the big man now....

nice one Mo..blooming fantastic.. :)

Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:24 am

Thank you, Bob. It needed a bit of a tidy up. I hope Ender likes what I did with the photo - it fits so well over the blue background, I just couldn't resist!

PS. I know that the site doesn't work properly in Google Chrome yet, I'm waiting for a full version (not Beta) before I make any changes.
Last edited by Rainbow on Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:46 am

Doc Bob wrote:Love the new look front page on 13thstar.com..

Ender's crackingly great photo of Fish pointing to the 13th Star...

the whole front page is much less cluttered and a real landing page for the big man now....

nice one Mo..blooming fantastic.. :)

Why thank you, Bob. :D
I like the new front page as well, though it did startle me a bit when I first saw it.

Thanks, Mo. I'm honored!

Re: Gig photos for the web site

Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi Mo,

http://www.markrobinson.co.uk/FishConvention2009/

if you want to use any let me know - it would a HUGE file to send them all

Mostly Fish as you might expect - but a few "others" too :)

Cheers

Mark
Next

Full Version