Heres the place to talk about Fish in general

Re: Disappointed by "Feast"

Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:19 pm

I have been and will continue to be a "fan" of Fish, but after a long, long wait, and the acclaimed and other hype (by fans), to finally hear the album and to be disappointed, why should I not let my feelings be known. Just because it does not fit your view does not mean I or you are wrong.

I have been criticised on here for not giving the album a chance, but I think the people who are waxing lyrical on here on it being Fish's best work on one or two listening, and lambasting me shows signs of sycophancy.

There have been a few post whilst not agreeing with my posts, also saying that I have a right to air my opinions, and I thank them for what they have said. I have paid good money for this album, and if I am not happy I feel that I can make my opinions known. I have done this on other forums on totally different matters. How dull a world it would be if we all agreed.As I have posted before I will continue to listen to the album and try to take more from it, but I have to admit I am struggling.

The central portion of the album: Feast and the High Wood suite are starting to grow on me, (and to reply to the reply regarding Eric Bogles, The Band Played Waltzing Matilda and the errors, what about The Gathering, mineworkers would not have been allowed to enlist, as they would have been seen as necessary for the war effort, in producing the raw materials needed to conduct a war. It's called artistic license. Sometimes you have to take this leeway to make the words scan. The point I was and apparently failing to make was that there are many fine anti-war song out there).

At the moment this album is not in my top 5 of Fish albums, but that is a personal opinion, but to say it is already your favourite ever album just says to me that you are more for the here and now, and do not really appreciate the fine body of work that Fish has produced. I have many different artist and bands in my collection but I keep returning to Fish, only last night I not only listened to Feast but also Field of Crows, and whilst Field of Crows is nearly 10 years old I think it stands the test of time, and for me has only 1 song on it that I skip. I wonder if Feast will do the same.
Last edited by Conan on Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Readability for our overseas members! :o)

Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:12 pm

SteadyEddie wrote:I have been criticised on here for not giving the album a chance, but I think the people who are waxing lyrical on here on it being Fish's best work on one or two listening, and lambasting me shows signs of sycophancy.

Whilst I agree with this to an extent (and hate blind sycophancy), you also have to bear in mind that some of us have been hearing various versions of the tracks on Feast evolve over many months. So to hear the finished album is not like hearing those tracks for the first time ever. So maybe a lot of the "growing on you" process had already happened before even the flac files were released.

I do think that some people on here need to open their minds and accept that it is still possible to be a fan of Fish without loving every single item in his back catalogue.

I mean.... Institution Waltz? Whiplash??? No Dummy?????? :lol:

Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:34 pm

God, I come home from work to find that it's all been kicking off in my absence!! :o :shock: :? - Just can't be arsed getting involved. :)

Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:44 pm

SteadyEddie wrote:
The central portion of the album: Feast and the High Wood suite are starting to grow on me, (and to reply to the reply regarding Eric Bogles, The Band Played Waltzing Matilda and the errors, what about The Gathering, mineworkers would not have been allowed to enlist, as they would have been seen as necessary for the war effort, in producing the raw materials needed to conduct a war. It's called artistic license. Sometimes you have to take this leeway to make the words scan. The point I was and apparently failing to make was that there are many fine anti-war song out there).

Eddie, please do some research before posting these things. In this instance I will respond before Simon or Fish. Who do you think dug the "dark stygian tunnels" for the mines on the Somme? Did not the coal dust steal Fish's Grandad's breath away, one day?

The web is full of the truth but I will post one link from a colliery in my home town. I suggest you read the words engraved:

http://www.midlandsheritage.co.uk/war-m ... eadle.html

You are entitled to your opinion of the album , but to suggest that the lyrics are 'Artistic License' just goes to show that Fish's words are even more important to educate than I imagined .
Jon

Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:58 pm

Eddie, Okay, one more link because I am so angry .

http://fishheadsclub.com/2013/03/17/thi ... ley-lyric/

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:13 pm

SteadyEddie wrote:and to reply to the reply regarding Eric Bogles, The Band Played Waltzing Matilda and the errors, what about The Gathering, mineworkers would not have been allowed to enlist, as they would have been seen as necessary for the war effort, in producing the raw materials needed to conduct a war. It's called artistic license.

And by saying this you have demonstrated your ignornace of the facts you suggest you know, therefore self-undermining your argument questioning Fish's accuracy!

Miners DID enlist on mass. So much so that rapidly it was realised this wasn't a great idea so they slowed the process down.
During 1916 when tunelling/mining operations were called for (as in High Wood) the army realised the need to call Miners out FROM existing units (as well as recruit them direct from pits)...these men then became Tunnelling Companies - Engineers, later Royal Engineers.
The 'Reserved occupations' you hint at was far more an issue in WW2.

1/8th Royal Scots (at High Wood) were a Pioneer battalion - skilled engineers - some were miners - one example being FISH's GRANDDAD!!!!!! They dug Thistle Alley.
Fish is 100% accurate.
Eric Bogle made history up to fit his song - artistic licence !?!?!? Using your logic you'd be happy with a song about Normandy referring to the Brits landing at Omaha? - it's what Bogle did - but people are so friggin ignorant about WW1 they just accept it.

The mine dug in the SE corner of High Wood under a German machine gun was dug by men including miners.

Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:03 pm

Afraid I'm just not knowledgeable enough on WW1 history to comment as others have above, but certainly on a more basic level, I just can't get my head around WHY so called Fish fans would bother to sign up to the Forum and then use their first posts to do nothing but slag off Fish's latest and the skills of his band members (which, by the way, are exemplary on this album, as they have been on the whole tour). - Surely a true fan would have joined the Company previously, in order to shower praise on the big man's back catalogue, rather than open their account with complete negativity? :?

For what it's worth, I have already had quite a large number of friends who are NOT Fish fans shower nothing but praise on Feast Of Consequences. Something that cannot be said of some previous albums. This alone tells me that Fish is onto something magical here, that transcends genres and tastes.

Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:43 pm

My Grandfather was a Coal Miner from Leigh Lancashire -he died for his country in Italy 5 months before the end of the war in 1918 after 3 years in the Royal Welsh Royal Welsh Fusiliers ,He now lies in his Grave in the MAGNABOSCHI British Soldiers Cemetery in the Mountains of Italy where the locals tend his grave along with the other 200 in that graveyard, so Miners did go to war and serve their country. Fish has produced in the High wood suite a set of lyrics so true to life or death as you would ever find in any book or film of the period. Don't spout facts unless you know the truth and what Fish has written is the truth :cry: My Dad was only 3 years old when his father died as above ,and after my father Died when I was 10,I have stored My grandfathers Medals, which are so precious to me and one day I hope to visit his grave in that small cemetery in Italy. :cry:

Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:38 pm

I have had a wee peek at these posts tonight as I am on holiday.Now I am no sycophant, but your man who commenced proceedings is a numpty with his comments about a poor album. Numpty is the best I can come up with at the moment as I am a bit pissed on the All Inclusive drink.
:D

Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:50 am

Do you by any chance own a Hot Rod Eddie :?: :?: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Next

Full Version