Heres the place to talk about Fish in general

"High Wood" Or "Plague Of Ghosts" Which is your favourite?

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:24 pm

Thought this would be an interesting topic, now that we have had some time to digest The High Wood Suite, in your opinion - how would you compare it to Plague Of Ghosts ?

Re: "High Wood" Or "Plague Of Ghosts" Which is your favourit

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:34 pm

Would have to go with Plague at the moment. But who knows if that may change. I was dissappointed that on the album the High Wood Suite was not the last track on the album.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:12 pm

If I'm being totally honest, musically Plague, lyrically and emotionally High Wood.

Hard to make a definitive decision because I need to 'live' with High Wood a little bit more first.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:09 am

I feel exactly the same as Chris and Paul. HW is still too new. I need to grow into it some more before I can compare it fairly with PoG (which, incidentally, is just about my all-time favourite Fish solo track).

Interestingly, neither feature a guitar solo from Frank Usher! And both could do with one (or more than one!) IMO. 8-)

Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:46 am

definitely "plague of ghosts"!!!
8-)

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:00 pm

My opinion reflects those given above. I must acknowledge the enormous amount of work Fish has put into HW, and it is a wonderful piece of music. But for me PoG justs edges it as my favourite.

It may be too early to say, and maybe I need to 'live' with HW for a bit longer, but I can't see PoG being overtaken soon. :)

Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:57 pm

MarkT wrote:My opinion reflects those given above. I must acknowledge the enormous amount of work Fish has put into HW, and it is a wonderful piece of music. But for me PoG justs edges it as my favourite.

It may be too early to say, and maybe I need to 'live' with HW for a bit longer, but I can't see PoG being overtaken soon. :)

No, me neither. PoG just hangs together better as one piece of music. To me, HW is a suite of individual tracks linked by a common theme.

I also agree with Chris that HW would have been better closing the album. The two more personal tracks that follow it seem sort of out of context, great though they are. But that is just my personal preference - no doubt there are good reasons for the running order! :)

Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:08 pm

Conan wrote:
MarkT wrote:My opinion reflects those given above. I must acknowledge the enormous amount of work Fish has put into HW, and it is a wonderful piece of music. But for me PoG justs edges it as my favourite.

No, me neither. PoG just hangs together better as one piece of music. To me, HW is a suite of individual tracks linked by a common theme.

I also agree with Chris that HW would have been better closing the album. The two more personal tracks that follow it seem sort of out of context, great though they are. But that is just my personal preference - no doubt there are good reasons for the running order! :)

agree with this:HW is a suite of individual tracks and that's why I prefer PoG whiwh is to me one and only 27min song;
it's also true that the place in the album is a bit weird but Fish had probably his reasons and who am I to discuss that :?: but I would have seen it at the end of the album:what an end it would have been :o ;we would have been emotionally completely drained :!:
8-)

Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:21 pm

....Not sure I agree with wanting High Wood as the final track of the album. - For me, he just HAD to finish with The Great Unravelling, which I firmly believe is the best song on the album. It's also, thematically speaking, the perfect closing number.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:37 pm

Tough one.

I would feel happier comparing 'Plague' with 'Grendel' than 'High Wood' to be honest as 'High Wood' is quite a different creation. 'Plague' is an atmospheric journey building to the stunning 'Raingods Dancing ' . Plague takes some beating when the candles are going ;) or driving late at night.
Agree with Paul that lyrically HW wins-it is Fish's narrative lyrical masterpiece. HW has more strong individual songs and I would love to hear it live with a full orchestra. Given that's unlikely to happen I will just have to look forward to the 'suites' night at a future convention with both played in full, with Grendel for the encore :lol: 8-)

as for HW's place in the running order I'm fine with it , but my choice of album closer is 'All Loved Up' , the 'light relief' works right at the end , after a pause at the end of 'Unraveling' for me.
Next

Full Version