Heres the place to talk about Fish in general

Got a little emotional listening to the Leamington CD

Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:52 pm

:oops: Ok I'm new here abouts but it was the recent purchase of the Leamington CD that brought me to this board.

Have followed the man for a good chunk of my life now, rarely have Script, Bsides themselves, Fugazi, Vigil, Exile etc not been played on my current musical device of the decade.

At school I managed to find several other fellow obsessives and we went to many gigs together both pre and post Marillion, at Uni I found a chap in my halls who had a double casette ghetto blaster and the A deck was his 'Misplaced Childhood' deck and the ONLY reason for opening the door was to tun it over to play the other side, woe betide any one who tried to put another album in there. Again we went to gigs, would sit and listen and chat. :smoke:

And then time passed, as it invariably does. I grew up , got a job, got married had kids. The music stayed with me always, a constant companion. Albums duly bought and obsessively listened to, but there was always something missing.

I'm sure even the most dedicated follower will have to admit that the music isn't exactly mainstream so finding someone that was even a fan of the whole Misplaced suite was somthing of a challenge. My wife loves the music but not in the same obsessional way as me :blink:

Anyway, after too long away, thanks to a pleasant surprise of juvenile unit number 3 some 10 years after his brother. I was searching for any new albums and found that I'd missed out on the whole build up to 'Feast' and man I was gutted about that - can't believe I missed the preorder and the Mark wilkinson/Fish signed print - my youngster learned a new word that night :shock:

Anyway as I was clicking around ordering my deluxe edition and a spiffing new t-shirt I came across the leamington double cd and had another moment of regret/disbelief - Grendel live !! :girl_cry: I remember sat with the vinyl and a lined sheet of A4 writing the lyrics out obsessionally - no google back then :lol:

The day arrived and Feast was slammed into the cd in the car and I made some pathetic excuse to leave the house to get something. From the opening strains and those oh so fishy pipes of Perfumed River to the very last note I was blown away, which TBH isn't usual for me on the first listen to a Fish album. A stunning piece of work and the big mans voice sounds better than it has for a long time.

But then something odd happened. I stuck on the leamington CD as I was driving home.

The opening line of Script, not only sung by Fish but a passionate crowd matching him, and keeping up the whole song.
I had a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye - to connect with other fisheads ( all be it in a rather odd way) after so long was genuinely moving - this music I had listened to in isolation for so long had become such a part of me, so deeply intwined in my psyche that there were genuinely times I wondered if people still cared about the music and listened to it ( daft I know). The same was true for the opening to Grendel - all those people singing along to the opening bars - Magical - to be there must have been something truely special and I am gutted I wasn't there.

I was shocked at how profound an effect it had on me, how much the music had become part of me and how wonderful it was to find it so alive and well.

I know this is post Christmas and a lot of people are off but I'm at work on a break at the moment so I am neither high or drunk ;)

Glad I'm here and thank you for listening if you made it this far :D :oops:

Re: Got a little emotional listening to the Leamington CD

Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:10 pm

Thanks for sharing your emotional experience!
It reminds me exactly of how I felt when I first saw Fish live, for the very 1st time, about 3 years ago!

Seeing this big guy singing these tracks from Fugazi that I used to listen to again and again when I was 14,
I mean that was emotional.
;)

Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:54 pm

sussexsaint wrote:I'm sure even the most dedicated follower will have to admit that the music isn't exactly mainstream so finding someone that was even a fan of the whole Misplaced suite was somthing of a challenge. My wife loves the music but not in the same obsessional way as me :blink:

Mmm same here...it's even more difficult as I live in France and "prog rock" is less popular here than in the UK, apart from the obvious Pink Floyd etc.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:55 pm

What a great post! Thanks for sharing that :D

Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:57 pm

Great post! Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. :) - Believe it or not, as good as the Leamington cd is, it only partly does the crowd justice. Actually being there to experience that level of passion from an audience. You can only capture so much of that in a recording. Been to many rock gigs over the years, but haven't experienced anything like that. - It was obviously the songs, but it was also about reliving a part of your youth. - In Grendel's case, despite the fact that it was never one of my favourites, although I like it now much more than I used to, it was sheer elation in hearing it live, finally after all these years, but there was also a tinge of sadness. Doubt very much that it will be played live again. :(

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:26 pm

Thanks for the replies :D what a lovely lot of people you are, knew you'd understand :cry:

Only wish I hadn't written 'obsessional' 53,642 times :lol:

Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:11 pm

arcademannequin wrote:Great post! Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. :) - Believe it or not, as good as the Leamington cd is, it only partly does the crowd justice.

I've said it before and will say it again , the lasting roar at the end of Saturday's Grendel was unlike any response to a song I've witnessed at a gig ever :D

Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:14 pm

Yeah ok, rub it in

Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:57 am

Holy crap Fish has liked my post !!!!! Oh I so wish it made sense now and didn't sound like the diseased ramblings of a fevered mind :lol:

Life complete :D

Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:11 am

sussexsaint wrote:Holy crap Fish has liked my post !!!!! :D

:D
Next

Full Version