Heres the place to talk about Fish in general

Re: Got a little emotional listening to the Leamington CD

Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:10 pm

arcademannequin wrote:
sussexsaint wrote:Oh, and talking of emotions, I'm a little bit in love with Isabelle ;) :D

Isabelle is only his stage name. He's actually a six foot five inch rugby player with a big beard.

:lol: Called Dave, and not from 'France' but from Billaricay

Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:18 pm

zazabi wrote:...and three legged....

Not tree?

I mean this brought to my mind a Zappa-interview: Interviewer: "So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?" Frank Zappa: "You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?"

Sorry 'bout that, really off-topic. :oops: :D

Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:30 pm

Lauri wrote:
zazabi wrote:...and three legged....

Not tree?

I mean this brought to my mind a Zappa-interview: Interviewer: "So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?" Frank Zappa: "You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?"

Sorry 'bout that, really off-topic. :oops: :D

I knew this answer by Zappa and I love it :lol:
8-)

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:25 pm

Thanks for the original post, Sussexsaint!

I think a large part of the strong emotional feeling comes from rediscovering something that you thought you'd left behind. Grendel live would certainly do that (although I haven't actually bought the Leamington CD yet!).

I've had a few of those moments in the past. A couple of times I've drifted a little bit away from Fish and his music and then I've rediscovered him and it's hit me like a blast.

A couple that come to mind...

The first time I played Communion. I had it on pretty loud on the good hi-fi and was alone in the house. Somewhere in the middle of 'The Field' I found myself blubbing. The vocals, the perfect acoustics, my own memories all just tumbled together and I turned into a jelly.

When I played the 'Hammersmith 1984' disc from 'Early Stages.' I had this on tape for years and years and it got more and more wobbly until it finally died. I never thought I'd get the gig again, certainly not top quality on CD. Hearing all the banter between songs (obviously knew it word for word), the early version of Misplaced and those classic Fugazi tracks. Got me blubbing again.

Wonderful times. The phrase 'soundtrack to our lives' is just spot on!

All the best to you all. Off to listen to Hammersmith...

Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:55 pm

Cheers Adrain. Great to know I'm not alone :D

That Hammersmith Gig gets me everytime as well.

For done reason ( no real idea why) but Tux on , has particularly powerful emotions connected to it.
Listened to it a lot between a levels and Uni , so a transition phase I guess. Saying goodbye to a lot of good mates and being terrified and excited about the future.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:02 am

sussexsaint wrote:It was like finding your family after years apart :D.

I have lived with these melodies and lyrics so long on isolation that even to read threads about them is a thrill.

Not really the same for me, but my friends have never understood that I listen to Music by Marillion/Fish (except Kayleigh/Lavender ;) :o )! My brother (almost 12 years older than me) listen to other music (mainly The Rolling Stones ;) ). So there was nobody with whom I could talk about my favourite music or listen to the music together. The second problem was, that there was no way to visit a gig (you know the wall ;) ! ) outside my country. I'm so glad and thankful that I got a ticket for the one and only Marillion gig in the GDR in 1988. After the wall came down, I visited various Fish gigs in Germany (one in Munich, all the others in Berlin). And then in 2010 I joined The Union and since then I have seen Fish so often and like it to travel around Europe (mostly to the UK ;) ). Looking forward to 2014 and I hope I'll meet some of the forumites here in Germany at one of the gigs ;) .

End of the isolation ;) :) !!

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:08 am

ulrichs wrote:
sussexsaint wrote:It was like finding your family after years apart :D.

I have lived with these melodies and lyrics so long on isolation that even to read threads about them is a thrill.

Not really the same for me, but my friends have never understood that I listen to Music by Marillion/Fish (except Kayleigh/Lavender ;) :o )! My brother (almost 12 years older than me) listen to other music (mainly The Rolling Stones ;) ). So there was nobody with whom I could talk about my favourite music or listen to the music together. The second problem was, that there was no way to visit a gig (you know the wall ;) ! ) outside my country. I'm so glad and thankful that I got a ticket for the one and only Marillion gig in the GDR in 1988. After the wall came down, I visited various Fish gigs in Germany (one in Munich, all the others in Berlin). And then in 2010 I joined The Union and since then I have seen Fish so often and like it to travel around Europe (mostly to the UK ;) ). Looking forward to 2014 and I hope I'll meet some of the forumites here in Germany at one of the gigs ;) .

End of the isolation ;) :) !!

Ulli if Fish plays Berlin this year, I have promised myself I'll be there it's a place I've always wanted to visit for a few days at least .

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:31 am

Just catching up with this topic.

Some great posts there. Thanks for sharing your experiences, sussexsaint. For those that were there it was an incredible weekend and I sometimes wonder how that comes across to those that weren't there. It's great to hear another perspective.

If you liked the CDs, then you might want to check out the other night which is available as a download at the Fish shop. The two shows together are a spectacular reminder of the weekend and quite possibly the best live shows that are available to listen to for so many reasons which have been captured by yourself and others before me.

On the plus side of your story there will be UK shows coming up this year. Hang around here and I'm sure that you'll be able to meet up with plenty of like-minded Fish heads before, during and after any gigs. :)

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:23 pm

Hi John , thanks for the reply :D - will go and have a look at the other leamington day for sure. Listening to it driving around this lunchtime. Just brilliant.

Seriously thinking about going to a gig this time around, my closes one would be the Brighton gig - unfortunately its a midweek gig and have to get up and out at ridiculous o'clock for work every day.

But could I possibly give up the chance to see High woods live hmmm

Full Version