Heres the place to talk about Fish in general

Re: Upset by Marillion playing what are essentially Fish son

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:33 pm

Back when I saw Marillion on the Season's End tour I enjoyed the old songs. As time has gone by I hate to hear those songs sung by H, nothing personal- if Fish did a gig with Marillion I wouldn't want to hear him singing 'The Great Escape' either.

I've never seen a Marillion tribute band , the idea of someone imitating Fish leaves me stone cold. I don't have the same problem with Genesis or Floyd tribute bands , but the Yes classics I can only accept with Anderson. Unsure why I'm so choosy- would have said the lyrics but give me Waters' words over Anderson's any day.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:07 pm

Current Marillion don't play many Fish-era songs so they've not exactly plundering the past. I'm guessing Steve Hogarth wouldn't sing any if it was just up to him.
What really doesn't work for me is hearing Steve singing 'I was born with a heart of Lothian.' Now that's just plain silly. 'Script' is also far too personal and Fish-related for me. Leave it alone Steve. I'll give him Garden Party if he wants to do that one!

When I say Marillion on tour last year they did 'Sugar Mice' which raised the roof. Ironically, Hogarth hardly bothered singing it at all. It was just band and crowd! At the end, Hogarth said something like 'I might as well go home then.'

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:57 am

Hm, a difficult one. I too like a few others here stayed with Marillion for the first two H albums then bailed out until my brother sent me Marbles, but I wouldn't these days count myself as a Marillion fan. Equally and oddly I lost Fish after Vigil :cry: and only caught up in the early 00's and then made up for lost time big time buying everything and he's almost certainly my most gigged artist.

On a similar view; Gillan doesn't sing Coverdale Purple and vice versa. Ozzy doesn't sing Dio Sabbath/H&H though Dio did sing some Ozzy Sabbath.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:33 am

AdrianH wrote: 'Script' is also far too personal and Fish-related for me. Leave it alone Steve.

When I say Marillion on tour last year they did 'Sugar Mice' which raised the roof. Ironically, Hogarth hardly bothered singing it at all. It was just band and crowd! At the end, Hogarth said something like 'I might as well go home then.'

Interesting , suggesting alot of the fan base still really does love those first 4 albums. To be fair on the version of Script that started all this off the crowd were going bonkers.

Script is very Fish related and personal and when steve started posing to 'overdosed on sentiment, and pride'

I actually said 'Oh, F*ck off!' out loud which earned me a care bear stare from my wife.

I was fine hearing Iomi sing Ozzy stuff when I saw them live. As I've said until you are all royally sick of me for whatever reason this music is in its own special corner of my heart

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:05 pm

sussexsaint wrote:To be fair on the version of Script that started all this off the crowd were going bonkers

Being there, you could sense before the first gig that the crowd were 'up for it'. It just felt special, and I think a lot of the excitement and anticipation stemmed from the 'Grendel Factor'. A night to remember. - I certainly screamed like a big girl. :) :oops: :lol:

Kind of wish that Calum Malcolm had left a bit more of the crowd in there. I know you can never capture that fully on cd, but on the night I remember the Assembly floor vibrating from the mass singing. It would have been nice to vibrate in the comfort of my own home too.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:13 pm

The YouTube videos are awesome Paul. :)

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:15 pm

sussexsaint wrote:The YouTube videos are awesome Paul. :)

The actuall gig was even better Tenfold Chris, you def need to get to one this years gigs. :)

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:25 pm

Some of those YouTube vids give a better sense of atmosphere than the cd does. :)

Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:23 pm

mwelljester wrote:

The actuall gig was even better Tenfold Chris, you def need to get to one this years gigs. :)

Yep, come telly gutted I couldn't have been a voice in the crowd with you all.

Will do all I can to get to the Brighton gig. Shame it's a Tuesday , but if I'm not on call I'll be there.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:50 pm

eternal debate :?

I'm not found of h singing early songs of Marillion.....those songs("script","heart of lothian","sugar mice"...) are too connected to Fish
H has a lot a difficulties to embody these songs BUT Marillion is a stunning band and delivers extraordinary albums,emotionaly powerful and strong!
8-)
Next

Full Version