Heres the place to talk about Fish in general

Where do I go from here?

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:38 pm

Hello. My first post here, and one I am hoping will not be controversial. !

Back in the 80's I was a huge Marillion fan. Bought everything, singles, albums, picture discs, CDs the whole lot.

I loved the albums, particularly Childhood and Straws. I bought the first Fish solo album, Vigil, and again loved it- played the bloody thing to death! After that, my musical tastes changed considerably and I never bought the subsequent solo albums, or the M albums with that keyboard player from The The singing!

I even went of my once beloved Marillion albums, and put them away.....

Then... Over twenty years later I found my old copy of Childhood and gave it a spin, expecting to be embarrassed by my old taste in music... But.... The second the music started I was right back there, I still knew EVERY word and was singing along in the car. When it finished, I started it again and was amazed by how fresh and... Well.... Just great it sounded.

Dug out Straws and exactly the same thing, knew every word and loved playing it again.

So my question, finally, is this. Having rediscovered my love of these albums, will I like the new solo Fish album? I'm not expecting it to sound anything like these, but do you think I will still get something from it?

Re: Where do I go from here?

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:00 pm

Welcome to the forum Lemon- hope you enjoy it here 8-)

I think that if you liked Vigil you should hopefully find things to enjoy on 'Feast'. A lot of people who love Vigil have drawn comparisons.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:55 pm

Hi Stuart! Welcome to the Forum. :)

There are a few members on here who have lost touch with Fish's music, and have then rediscovered the love of it. These things happen as we move through life and tastes often change. - Thankfully, the music of Fish and Fish-era Marillion has been with me since I was a young teenager. My tastes have certainly broadened and I now like a wide range of genres, but for me Fish is the absolute master of nailing the truthful lyric and making us think and feel. - Pleased to hear you have rediscovered the love.

You honestly can't go wrong with Feast. It's a masterpiece in many eyes, and I know lots of people who wouldn't consider themselves as Fish fans that love the album. Take a punt on it! ;)

Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:15 am

Lemon wrote:Having rediscovered my love of these albums, will I like the new solo Fish album? I'm not expecting it to sound anything like these, but do you think I will still get something from it?

Hi Lemon, and welcome to the forum!

It would be impossible for any of us to predict whether or not you would enjoy Feast. It is an album that divides opinion and engenders strong feelings!

Most of the regulars on here love it - but we may not be the most objective audience in the world! Importantly, the new album is getting very positive reviews from people who are not ardent FishHeads - showing that it appeals to a much wider listenership.

I like it. It is fair to say that it is not my favourite Fish solo album, but I think it may be more of a grower or slow-burner. It is a powerful piece of work, like Vigil. It features a very different set of musicians, so the sound and style is very different. Fish's voice has changed significantly in the intervening 25 years (as you might expect!).

The best thing you can do is to order a copy from the Fish shop or Amazon store, sit yourself down in a comfy chair with a drink of your preference - and just listen to it. You will know very quickly whether you like it or not! :D

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:51 pm

I'm in, I think. Will order it and report back my thoughts.

Has any recieved the ltd edition? What's it like?

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:15 pm

Lemon wrote:I'm in, I think. Will order it and report back my thoughts.

Do you mean the deluxe? - If so, well worth shelling out the extra for. You get a beautifully illustrated book with lyrics and backstory behind the writing. - For me, the best and most quality piece of merch' that Fish has ever put out. :)

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:34 pm

arcademannequin wrote:

Do you mean the deluxe? - If so, well worth shelling out the extra for. You get a beautifully illustrated book with lyrics and backstory behind the writing. - For me, the best and most quality piece of merch' that Fish has ever put out. :)

I second that 8-) ;) :)

Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:14 am

Andyboy67 wrote:
arcademannequin wrote:

I second that 8-) ;) :)

3rd!!

Welcome to The Union, our place on the internet to follow with friends and their love to Fish's music! Enjoy the forum!!

I wonder which kind of music you were interested in over the years without Fish's and Marllion's (F-era) music ;) ?

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:10 pm

arcademannequin wrote:

Yep! Stunning artwork and a real quality article all round! 8-)

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:08 am

Firstly, welcome Lemon. :)

Secondly, hi again to the rest of you - long time, no speak. But it's just a flying visit at this point.

As to the question, I'm one of those who lost him and then found him again. At this moment in time, I've lost him again, but that's about me and not him.

My personal opinion of the Feast of Consequences? Buy it. In fact, I'd recommend it even more if you've been out of his loop than if you'd been around for the last couple of years when some of his hardened fans have nearly died over the anticipation & disappointment. In honesty, for me, I got sick of it when I first got it because it was just playing over and over and over and over....... you get the picture.

But I'm listening to it now, after a few month's break from all things Fish (and a lot of other things). And it's as good as the first time - well, almost. :lol:

I've had to take a break from here & Fish-obsessiveness purely for reasons of my own but I'd say go for it. You won't be disappointed. Fish is a different creature now to those early days because he's grown a lot and that's reflected in his lyrics and in who he is.

But you'll make your own mind up. 8-)
Next

Full Version