Heres the place to talk about Fish in general

Feast

Fri May 23, 2014 11:26 am

Ok after being lambasted for my initial thoughts on Feast, I thought that I would not listen to the album for a while and then come back to it. I recently went back and listened to Field of Crows and 13th Star and even though I had listened to these albums numerous times, I still found new things on them. So I thought why not go back to Feast and try to listen with new ears.

Well after a several more plays, the album is growing on me.

But is it Fish's best work?

I am still unsure. If All Loved Up was removed I think it would certainly be high up on the list.

I am confused by the meaning of Perfume River, so if any-one can enlighten me I would appreciate it.

When I first heard this song I wondered if there was a real Perfume River and if Fish was alluding to this river in his lyric.

There is a real Perfume River, it is in Vietnam. Now this got me thinking, was this a song about the Vietnam War? With the main section of the album being about the Great War, it made sense to me to make a comparison with a more modern war.

The Perfume River (or Hương Giang or Sông Hương), it turns out, is only fragrant at a specific time of the year, in the autumn, when the flowers in the orchards up river lose their blossoms into the water. The decomposing flowers apparently become quite pungent as they float past to the South China Sea about 10 miles further downstream.

So is this song about escape? Or dying?

I still do not like All Loved Up. For me it does not fit into the concept of the album. Is it a statement on our celebrity obsessed world?

But the rest of the album is growing on me.

Blind to the Beautiful is a damning indictment on our failure to realise the environmental consequences of our actions, and is one of the stand out tracks on this album.

For me I prefer to play the High Wood Suite this way, as it makes more sense to me;
i. The Gathering.
ii. High Wood.
iii. Crucifix Corner.
iv. Thistle Alley.
v. The Leaving.

The reason for this is that in The Gathering, there is reference to the Pals Battalions, and these Battalions first saw action in the Battle of the Somme, which is where the High Wood, Crucifix Corner and Thistle Alley areas are a intrinsic part.

Re: Feast

Fri May 23, 2014 12:01 pm

Regarding the High Wood order - it did originally have The Gathering before Crucifix Corner when being recorded - so why not shuffle it around a bit?

I think that Crucifix Corner, Thistle Alley and The Leaving might be a bit heavy played in sequence though. High Wood itself is kind of a prologue to the whole suite so I don't think that I could have that sit within the narrative of all of the tracks. Whatever works for you though.

Regarding All Loved Up - it's one of those tracks that you can take it or leave it. It's a straightforward rocker that some will choose to skip knowing that there are arguably better songs coming up. I think that the album as a whole needed this pace though. It's not my favourite on the album by any stretch but I don't think that it's a bad song either. It's just among some great company.

I think that's you've got most of the theme of Perfume River. I feel that there's the consequences of the Vietnam War, the cost of modern living affecting a place that is impoverished, the visual and fragrant imagery interwoven among it. This song itself spreads its seeds among many of the themes throughout the rest of the album. A feast of consequences indeed! It seems like the perfect opener to prepare you for what you're about to listen to.

And let's not forget the closer. The Great Unravelling. For me - this was the Ace up Fish's sleeve. A beautiful song about life, love, fate and uncertainty. How our own journeys are intertwined with those around us and almost instantly can be undone. There was no clue before the release what this song was and I applaud Fish for holding back where we had had some teasers before release.

Is it his best? Debatable (hey - that's why we're here)!

BUT - I can say with my hand on my heart that if it isn't his best - it is equal to his best. It is an album of maturity and cohesion. The songs are well crafted and he has said himself that he feels it's because he's used "traditional" writing methods. I think it really shows.

When I heard 13th Star part of me thought "That's it - I don't think we'll get a better Fish album than this again." I'm so glad I was wrong.

Sat May 24, 2014 12:24 pm

Pleased you're enjoying it a bit more now Eddie- perhaps you might want to edit your Amazon review to reflect?

Sat May 24, 2014 1:34 pm

oldcrow wrote:Pleased you're enjoying it a bit more now Eddie- perhaps you might want to edit your Amazon review to reflect?

1.0 out of 5 stars A Feast of Consequences Fish's Latest Offering, 16 Jan 2014
By SteadyEddie - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Feast of Consequences (Audio CD)
I have been a Fish fan since his Marillion days and after a five year wait for A Feast of Consequences, I was to be honest disappointed. The first track Perfume River is disjointed. This album should have been a double cd, with cd 2 concentrating on The High Wood Suite section and expanding that concept. All Loved Up was released as a single, and whilst it is dripping with sarcasm it is a poor mans Incommunicado. In my opinion not one of the big mans best albums and I am seriously considering not going to the forthcoming tour, such is my disappointment.

Wow
Eddie really didnt like it judging from his Amazon review. Just 1 star when the great majority gave it 5 stars !
Very brave !
However we are all entitled to our opinions and I respect Eddie for explaining his views here on the forum.
I have to admit that I wasn't totally enamoured with it on my first couple of listens but like all good albums it has grown on me. Musically I dont think it is Fish's best album however lyrically its right up there with his best.

I almost agree with Eddie that it should have been a double album as I also feel that the High Wood sits uneasily in the middle.
However I have grown to like the album and would probably give it 4 stars. Amazon reviews tend to usually be a bit too positive when it comes to dishing out stars !

Sun May 25, 2014 7:52 pm

Teddynonose wrote:

Amazon reviews tend to usually be a bit too positive when it comes to dishing out stars !

On Amazon '5 stars ' simply equates to a rating of 'I love it' so I can happily almost always give Fish's efforts 5 stars :D :lol:

Full Version