And things that Fish always wanted to answer!

Fish's answer - smoking and drinking

Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi Fish,

At the convention, you mentioned that your doctor had suggested that you stop drinking and smoking.

I think I noticed you drinking :shock: and I think you alluded to smoking.

Do you feel you have a self-destructive side to your personality?

Your voice is one of the tools of your trade - perhaps the most important - why would you risk it?

Yes, I appreciate this is a very personal question and yes, I am asking from a selfish point of view - wanting to enjoy your music for many more years to come.

Thanks

Mark

Re: Things you always wanted to ask Fish

Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:54 am

caerurfa wrote:Hi Fish,

At the convention, you mentioned that your doctor had suggested that you stop drinking and smoking.

I think I noticed you drinking :shock: and I think you alluded to smoking.

Do you feel you have a self-destructive side to your personality?

Your voice is one of the tools of your trade - perhaps the most important - why would you risk it?

Yes, I appreciate this is a very personal question and yes, I am asking from a selfish point of view - wanting to enjoy your music for many more years to come.

Thanks

Mark

Hi,

Touchy subject :roll:

Yes my ENT doctor advised me to stop smoking and drinking. Followed almost immediately by "I don't expect you to just now!" It was just after the op last December.

I am very aware of the damage to my health, especially from smoking and believe me I have tried every method known to man to cut the habit.

Hypnosis (twice), acupuncture (three times),patches (I still smoke with them), Alan Carr's treatment (twice, with father and son) and Zyban tablets(stopped when I found they had dangerous side effects) as well as the traditional cold turkey.

In all honesty I find it the hardest thing I have ever known.
I started smoking when I was 14 and apart from a year in 89-90 thanks to Alan Carr's (RIP) help it's been an ongoing problem.

It's something I have to address in the coming months.

Regarding my voice the smoking doesn't do that much damage and if I am singing regularly then my chest is being worked and doesn't "gum up".
The smoke itself inflames the chords and leaves you open to infections but it's the chest that is the worry.
As I said it's something I am very aware of.
With the cold , damp Scottish winter approaching it tends to be a catalyst for change :(

The problem is I like it.

I enjoy a smoke with a coffee in the morning, or after a meal or out in the garden by the bubbling pond with a cheeky chilled Sancerre in the moonlight.
If I could cut down to three or so a day I'd be happy but when the Pavlovian bell strikes and stress is around (and that's a lot of ringing) I reach for a tab.

KT is a great influence and she is on my case.We are both working on it and know we have to get a new health regime into our lives as it's too dangerous now that I am off tour and sitting in the main behind a keyboard most of the day.

Regarding the drinking it's not really a problem with my voice, more my gut! :)

The Doc referred to both habits regarding recovery from my operation.
If I was drinking heavy spirits then the voice would be an issue but red and white wines and beer are not particularly toxic to my chords.
Hey! Pav drunk shedloads of wine and he sang pretty good! :D

Bottom line is that they are both health issues and as a 51 year old I am more than aware of my mortality.

I am not self destructive but I enjoy life and life sometimes is a dangerous occupation. ;)

thanks for caring :)

Onkel Fish

ps I did manage to stop eating Macdonalds and KFC :lol:

Re: Fish's answer - smoking and drinking

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:19 pm

Why don't you try nasal snuff? I mean it is also not healthy but at least nothing which affects chest...an you have your nicotine.

Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:39 pm

I think it's called the middle age spread cause I got the same prob :lol:

Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:14 pm

The headline made me laugh a little :)

CBC News

Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:50 pm

My brother tried it all ,but after 34 years of smoking, he got on Champix, and he says its the one.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:44 am

My advice is, if you maintain this lifestyle, you won't reach 30!

Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:02 pm

The problem is I like it...

That is the problem.
I managed to quit cold turkey almost 20 years ago and i have never missed it and never started smoking again.
But that's me and no two people are alike. I always somehow thought of my smoking as a dirty habit that was as bad for others around me as it was for me.
For years I told myself that I needed to quit, I was constantly trying to remind myself of the logical truth: (get ready kids...)
SMOKING IS BAD FOR YOU.
Thank you Captain Obvious,
I tried to think of the money I would save...didn't work
I tried to think of improvements in health...didn't work
I tried to tell myself food would smell and taste better...didn't work
So, I see this headline in our local newspaper that reads: "If you read this article, you may never smoke again!" I saved the article but didn't read it and my ex-wife calls to tell me in the middle of the day that" Your sister called to say that she "read this article in the paper and I have decided that we are all going to quit". Great, says I, looks like today's the day!
And it was.
Because I wanted to...and was ready.
I am a kind of unofficial non-smoker advocate/supporter/councellor at work, but I don't preach because my ex-father-in-law did that and I always hated that he would look down on anyone that smoked and call them names like "scummer" which was hipocritical considering he used to smoke and was one of them too in the past.

Anyway...
All the prescription medicines and therapies available are excellent tools for the proper application but...
The only thing that can actually help you stop, is the will to quit.

Fish/DD , and all others, it's not impossible if you want to.
To me, getting on a stage in front thousands of people is what I would call impossible!
Cheers to all,
Ponyboy

Full Version