And things that Fish always wanted to answer!

Things you always wanted to ask Fish

Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:18 pm

Please read this thread and look at Fish's answers to find out if your question has already been asked. If it hasn't, please add it at the end of this topic by clicking the "Post reply" button.
When Fish answers a question, this thread will be locked temporarily while the question and answer are moved into a new topic. If this thread is locked, please wait a moment or two and then try again.
If you have more than one question to ask, please make more than one post so that Fish can quote your question with an answer.
When a question has been answered and is in a new topic, please don't ask another question below that - use this thread.

Could I please ask everyone to take note of the fact that this topic is only for asking Fish a question.

If you want to add a comment, please do so AFTER Fish has answered or in another thread, not this one. The questions and answers will be split into new topics very quickly so please wait until they've been separated.

If you want to answer someone's question, please do so by private message to them. Questions have been asked here for Fish to answer.

This might sound a bit strict (sorry! :oops: ) but please consider that Fish reads through for questions to answer and has to trawl through chatter to find them! Also, members have taken the time to add a question only to see it disappear into the distance. Please be considerate!

Comments and chatter will be deleted from this thread from now on. Thanks everyone! :hatoff:

Edited by the Union team - thanks for the first post, Andriyt!

Re: Things you always wanted to ask Fish

Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:18 am

Songwriting

First, I want to thank you for the music that has given me joy and comfort ever since the 80's. Thank you very much!

I'm interested in your songwriting process. Do you consider writing easier now than what it was 10 or 20 or 30 years ago, or has it possibly become more difficult?

Do you ever run out of ideas, or suffer a writer's block?

I'd also like to know when and where you write. Do you do it whenever the inspiration strikes, or do you sometimes intentionally sit down and think "OK, today I shall write songs from 9 to 5"?

Sincerely,

adams apples

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:32 am

Hey Fish,
do you know the film "adam's apples", it is a danish film with mads mikkelsen and very funny (black humour...)... at the same time i would say philsophic. One of the best films I ever saw. Might be worth a look at, as I see you are watching many films lately ;)
liebe grĂ¼sse, aber nicht von deiner Deutschlehrerin...
Karin

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:54 am

Hello Fish

There is a question I have wanted to ask you since I first heard Misplaced Childhood in it's entirety, many years ago.

I have read through all the Q+A on here and can't see it in the Topic Titles, but forgive me if it has been dealt with elsewhere [I am new to the Forums and haven't explored everywhere in The Company yet]; I would be happy for you to point me in the right direction if it has already been discussed..

OK, here's my question:

Q: In the 3rd verse of "Perimeter Walk", you refer to

"There is a presence,
A child, my child
My childhood, misplaced childhood,
Give it back to me..

and:

"A childhood, the childhood..
Oh please, give it back to me"

Fish, what has always struck me is your use of the phrases "A child, my child" and "A childhood, the childhood"; it seemed abstract at first but over time, I have come to see it as more personal.

I guess what i am asking is who was/is the inspiration for The Child in Misplaced Childhood and also, do you feel that they have now 'found' that which they misplaced [or was taken and hidden from them], as far as you are aware?

Thanks in anticipation,

Stella

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:30 pm

Hi Fish!

What do you think about "Seasons End"? You were still in the band when the demos were recorded. So, how do you find the same songs (well, most of them), but with different vocals and lyrics? Do you think that the album belongs to the 80's Marillion classics like "Fugazi" or "Misplaced Childhood"? Also, I'd like to hear your opinion on "Brave". It's a dark complex album, something that you are a fan of. That's all I'd like to know. :)

Progressively yours,
Yavor

Thu May 31, 2012 11:56 am

Hi Onkel,

What's your favorite whisky?

Cheers,
Leon.

Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:31 pm

I hibs were to become another victim of the crisis currently sweeping most SPL clubs, and enter liquidation, with no hope of a reformation, would you follow hearts, or would you not bother with football?

Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:35 pm

vigil was a very heavily orchestrated album, whereas othe albums after tend to have a hard edge rocky feel or a funk feel. was this a deliberate move away from orchestrated songs, or was it just what the songs dictated at the time of writing?

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:14 am

When can we aspect a new gig in Holland?

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:48 am

Gday from Australia,

Just wondering if you've ever played in Australia ( forgive me if im wrong but i dont think you have), and if you're planning to ever come here. You can stay over at mine, i'll sleep on the couch. I'll let you smoke all my ciggies, and i'll take you to some Nrl games ( real football)! Cmon, i reckon i could get 5 people to come with me to every gig you do, and im sure there are other fish fans down under? Surely? Hehe,

Love ya man.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:06 pm

tentonz wrote:Gday from Australia,

Just wondering if you've ever played in Australia ( forgive me if im wrong but i dont think you have), and if you're planning to ever come here. You can stay over at mine, i'll sleep on the couch. I'll let you smoke all my ciggies, and i'll take you to some Nrl games ( real football)! Cmon, i reckon i could get 5 people to come with me to every gig you do, and im sure there are other fish fans down under? Surely? Hehe,

Love ya man.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=994&hilit=Australia+Fish
Next

Full Version