And things that Fish always wanted to answer!

Fish's answer - battlefields

Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:36 pm

Fish

It's obvious to all that you have a genuine interest in the Military - especially the individual soldier level - the experience, the raw courage, emotion, etc etc etc...

We read you've been to Vietnam, Bosnia and have friends who served in the Gulf...have you ever been to the battlefields of the Great War (1914-18) ?

These places are unique in their 'atmosphere' along with their stories...I've often pondered what your lyrics could do with such an experience. (combine that with Mark's artwork....wow).

Fancy going? let me know I'm a guide to the Somme and would consider it an honour to take you.

Cheers

Simon Moston

Re: Things you always wanted to ask Fish

Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:07 pm

Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:28 pm

Cheers Rainbow....

This brilliant image is a case in point - but my 'angle' is that the whole '14-18' experience throws up so much more I'd like to see Fish & Mark sink their teeth into...

Visits to the battlefields themselves - the personal stories - the 'silent cities' (Cemetery's) - the ditch, the hill, the trench...THAT's what I wonder if Fish has experienced.

Fish - if you haven't - GO (with me as your guide - a battlefield without a guide is just a 'field'! :D )

There are a number of 'Mr Dick' buried in France...

"...Jacobs Ladder....corner of some foreign field...." (Field of Crows) - Is this the Somme as there was a famous commnuication trench known as 'Jacob's Ladder' ?

Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:31 pm

Moston wrote:Fish

It's obvious to all that you have a genuine interest in the Military - especially the individual soldier level - the experience, the raw courage, emotion, etc etc etc...

We read you've been to Vietnam, Bosnia and have friends who served in the Gulf...have you ever been to the battlefields of the Great War (1914-18) ?

These places are unique in their 'atmosphere' along with their stories...I've often pondered what your lyrics could do with such an experience. (combine that with Mark's artwork....wow).

Fancy going? let me know I'm a guide to the Somme and would consider it an honour to take you.

Cheers

Simon Moston

Hi,

One of my greatest wishes is to take my Dad over to Flanders as we had family who served there.
My Grandad Wullie was in the RFC with his brother Johnny and the other brother was in the Gordon Highlanders.
My maternal Grandad , also Will, was in the Machine Gun Corp.
They all came back physically unscathed but there were others in my family that never came back.

Ironically my two grandfathers were serving only a few miles away from each other.

My Dad is now 80 and travel is a bit harder these days but I hope to convince him to make the trip.

I agree I think it would be a very valuable experience,

Onkel Fish

ps I did get you e mail offer and apologise for not replying sooner :oops:

Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:49 pm

Moston wrote:Cheers Rainbow....

This brilliant image is a case in point - but my 'angle' is that the whole '14-18' experience throws up so much more I'd like to see Fish & Mark sink their teeth into...

Visits to the battlefields themselves - the personal stories - the 'silent cities' (Cemetery's) - the ditch, the hill, the trench...THAT's what I wonder if Fish has experienced.

Fish - if you haven't - GO (with me as your guide - a battlefield without a guide is just a 'field'! :D )

There are a number of 'Mr Dick' buried in France...

"...Jacobs Ladder....corner of some foreign field...." (Field of Crows) - Is this the Somme as there was a famous communication trench known as 'Jacob's Ladder' ?

Hi

Just to add to that reply

The "Foreign field" reference is to Siegfried Sassoon's "lonely corner" ( he recovered from shell shock in a convalescent home in Edinburgh btw)

"Jacob's ladder" as a comms trench I found out about later when reading about the Royal Scots (which my maternal Grandad was attached to in the MGC)

But you are right in the military references in "The Field".

The "Mr Dick"s are most probably my family from the Stirlingshire area.
I believe we lost about 7 there and some are named are on the Menin gate so I am told.

Onkel Fish

ps there's also a little known set of steps that climb from Calton Road up to Calton Hill in Edinburgh known as "Jacob's ladder".
I had a surreal experience there one night watching a fox entering the archway at the foot of the hill and climbing the steps.

Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:41 pm

Fish wrote:One of my greatest wishes is to take my Dad over to Flanders as we had family who served there.
My Grandad Wullie was in the RFC with his brother Johnny and the other brother was in the Gordon Highlanders.
My maternal Grandad , also Will, was in the Machine Gun Corp.
They all came back physically unscathed but there were others in my family that never came back.

We share something in common then..... My grandfather was also in the RFC, although he was only sent to France in September 1918 (being too young for overseas service when he volunteered in 1917).

Out of interest, do you know what squadron your grandfather served with, Fish?

Re: Fish's answer - battlefields

Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:29 pm

Then you'd both be interested in a project I'm involved with here in Essex....

http://www.stowmaries.com/

It's a totally unique site - the only genuine WW1 aerodrome left intact - as it was when it was abandoned in 1919.

IN FACT....the last person to duet with Fish on his UK tour singing 'Lavender' at Leamington is photographed in front of a Fokker DR1 Tri-plane . Samara is the older/taller one :D http://www.stowmaries.com/gallery/gallery75/image4.asp

Re: Fish's answer - battlefields

Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:26 am

I posted this originally under the 'Fellini Moments' thread...but thought I'd put it on here too ? - please feel free to remove Mods if inappropriate?

This is one hell of a Fellini moment .... it's a long story but worth it....

I regularly take groups of people to the WW1 battlefields as a volunteer guide. In June I organised a coach trip of Chelmsford folk to the Ypres Salient (Flanders/Belgium).

As part of this trip - to make the whole experience more 'real' - I took along with me the names & details of Chelmsford men who lost their lives in that area in WW1. I tried to partner up these names with those on the coach trip - any kind of connection. In this instance there was a casualty from a street in Chelmsford where I knew my work colleague lived in.

When we got to the particular memorial in Ypres (Tyne Cot) this mans name was on I saw my colleague had become overwhelmed when he found the name...I went up to him...turned out my colleague lives NEXT DOOR to the last known address of the dead soldier! (Lower Anchor Street)

Now that's Fellini enough...but it gets better.

TODAY...the same colleague came to see me to say he'd been out on a work visit (in north Essex) and got speaking to a woman about Chelmsford - where he worked etc. She said 'Oh...my boyfriend lives nr there at 10 Lower Anchor Street'...the VERY house the dead man was born in !!!

I always say that things will happen if they are meant to happen - things get found if they want to be found - I reckon Sgt Williams James LANCASTER, Machine Gun Corps (Infantry) (formerly of the Essex Regiment) wanted to be remembered...don't you !?

SO FELLINI...

Full Version