And things that Fish always wanted to answer!

Fish's answer - the Book

Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:26 am

Fish, How's the Book Progressing ?

Gary :)

Re: Things you always wanted to ask Fish

Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:16 pm

garyashton wrote:Fish, How's the Book Progressing ?

Good question!
Have you managed to find a publisher willing to invest in the next JK Rowling yet !?

Re: Things you always wanted to ask Fish

Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:13 pm

garyashton wrote:Fish, How's the Book Progressing ?

Hi,

A lot slower than I expected but don't despair :D

Well into a hefty second chapter but the research has taken up a lot of time as I've been interviewing my parents for background info and getting to grips with family history.

I have about 9 hours of video tape and piles of documents and photos to sift through.
I spent one morning just trying to make sense of a library of birth/death/wedding certificates.

My aim is to get the first three or four chapters together by Christmas so I have something to present to publishers in order to secure an advance to see me through the Spring as my target is to finish by April and then look at the next album.

I admit to having had severe panic attacks and there are some days where my confidence is very low.
I've had moments where I've gone "What the hell am I doing here" or "is this the wrong move" and then there's others like last night where I felt I was surfing a wave of ideas.

It's a lot harder than I initially thought and the project has developed into a huge therapy session as I discover more and more about where some of my attitudes and personality traits come from.

It's a big jump and only time will tell if I crash or not.

Hardest thing is trying to lock out intrusions on my time and focus from other sources such as accountants and lawyers that are hassling for info and the restructuring of business activities just now.
Between that and getting the Nearfest DVD together and having to watch hours of footage etc I keep on getting distracted.

I just have to find more discipline and stop answering the phone! :D

As everything here at the studio on a business level revolves around me it's hard to breakaway.

It isn't like making an album where I know exactly what I am doing and know how to get from A to B.

This is a whole new learning curve but I am starting to find the angles and the overall direction of the book.

I discarded quite a few pages as they didn't feel right and didn't have enough style on first draft.

I am beginning to settle into it now.

It's exciting and scary.

Time will tell. ;)

Onkel Fish

Re: Fish's answer - the Book

Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:53 pm

The Iranian palm reader in Galashiels told me in 1980 that I would have 3 different careers and that the second would make me famous and wealthy while the third would disappoint a lot of people at first but in the end lead me to even greater levels of success.

This is the third career.

I hope you - reading this - won't mind if I speak for everyone here when I say this.
Every new undertaking has risks but we know that you can write a great book. We've seen that from your blogs.
We're 100% behind you.

Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:55 pm

Rainbow wrote:
The Iranian palm reader in Galashiels told me in 1980 that I would have 3 different careers and that the second would make me famous and wealthy while the third would disappoint a lot of people at first but in the end lead me to even greater levels of success.

I hope you - reading this - won't mind if I speak for everyone here when I say this.
Every new undertaking has risks but we know that you can write a great book. We've seen that from your blogs.
We're 100% behind you.

Agree fully with that Mo !...........and Fish, thanks for the update

:)

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:59 am

Rainbow wrote:

We're 100% behind you.

Thanks Mo :wink2:

Onkel Fish

Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:47 am

I'm sure it will be fine - i'm gonna buy two copies - one for me and one for my son! (He's 2) he loves your music!!! :D

Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:53 pm

Well I def want 2 at least, mine and 1 for Leanne's boy, I WILL educate him!!

Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:36 pm

just got the Masque book today and if your book is as good as your writing in that book then we are all in for a great read. pity it wont be ready for xmas as i know lots of people who will be getting a copy!!!!!!! :D :D

Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:40 pm

Two copies for me too! I do most of my reading in the bath, so the pages get all wet and swollen before coming apart... Any book that I intend to read more than once requires two copies!

No pressure Onkel, but I suspect that your AB will be a tome that I return to time after time, So maybe TWO copies still won't be enough! :D

Glad to hear that you are making progress. Also, in a weird way, glad to hear that the birth is not without complications. After all, if writing was too easy, where would be the satisfaction in doing it? ;)
Next

Full Version